The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: sequestering advice needed  (Read 4425 times)

Offline collegechem

• First timers
    • View Profile
sequestering advice needed
« on: 27/04/2007 10:53:57 »
I've made a Cu containing compound and i now need to be able to show i can also remove the Cu from it. I'm using SELDI-TOF MS to analyse my results and so far i have been unable to remove any Cu peaks. I've tried a range of sequestering agents but i'm now mainly focusing on EDTA. Unfortunately it seems to add spectral peaks instead of removing any! The compound is a hydrolysed protein source with CuSO4.5H2O in powdered form and i would usually dilute it in buffer or water prior to analysis by SELDI. Any suggestions??? [:-'(]

Offline DrDick

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/04/2007 17:53:43 »
Have you tried acac?  There are also many biomolecules that are apparently good at sequestering copper (maybe yours is one of them  ;)).

Dick

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2007 16:22:41 »
Another aproach would be to add iodide and reduce the copper to CuI which is insoluble. Of course, the iodine liberated might react with your compound. If you are lucky, adding sulphite or some such might remove the iodine fast enough to protect the organic stuff.
Similarly powdered Al can remove copper in very acid solutions if your product can stand up to the acid.
Of course after all this you would need to repurify the product

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2007 16:22:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums