The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Type 1 Diabetes glucose levels  (Read 4431 times)

Offline lollyp

• First timers
    • View Profile
Type 1 Diabetes glucose levels
« on: 28/04/2007 18:09:18 »
Hi there, I hope someone can help me, I am trying to find out the 'normal' glucose and urea levels for a type 1 diabetic patient. The figures i have are for glucose 45mmol/L and 30mmol/L for urea -  can anyone help out on this?  Thanks 

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/04/2007 01:08:46 »
Welcome to the forum.. be patient and someone should be able o help you! I hope you enjoy your time here!

Offline lollyp

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/04/2007 10:32:38 »
Thanks, I will.  I just found this site by chance whilst searching for these levels.  It may be a great help whilst I'm studying, and you never know I may be able to answer some queris too?!
The reply for this may be too late though as I have an exam tomorrow and can't seem to get these figures anywhere, but not to worry, they're high I know that much.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 29/04/2007 11:19:05 »
I am not a doctor, so can't really give a definitive answer, but I will ask for a bit of clarification.

When you are talking about the normal glucose levels for a diabetic, are you referring to an untreated diabetic, or one that is subject to treatment?

For an untreated diabetic, I would have thought the main thing is that glucose levels exceed the norm, but not necessarily that one concerns oneself about an abnormal norm specially for untreated diabetics.

Most of the references I have found seem to refer to glucose in the blood, because that is the more accurate measure; although the suggestion is that urinary glucose levels are tested sometimes just as an additional test when other urinary tests are performed.

Also, I may be wrong, but I thought that the numbers for discriminating between type 1 and type 2 diabetes were less significant than age of inset.

We do have a couple of good medical doctors on the forum, so hopefully one of them will be along soon - but maybe just not soon enough - to give a more definitive answer.

Offline lollyp

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/04/2007 11:32:10 »
Hi there, The patient is only 18yrs with long standing diabetes, she is hyperglycaemic so her levels of glucose are high - I've found that 'normal' glucose for diabetic is 4-6 mmol/L therefore her levels are extremly high - poss diabetic ketoacidosis.  I can't find anything about the urea levels though - everything relates to BUN - BLOOD UREA NITROGEN, but I don't have figures for the other factors.  I'm hoping that its just a case of commenting that the urea is high and that the kidneys aren't clearing it.  It's all a bit vague but I'm hoping they'll be concentrating on the diabetes and that the poor girl also had pneumonia!!!!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/05/2007 14:57:42 »
Hi there, The patient is only 18yrs with long standing diabetes, she is hyperglycaemic so her levels of glucose are high - I've found that 'normal' glucose for diabetic is 4-6 mmol/L therefore her levels are extremly high - poss diabetic ketoacidosis

It may be of use to know that the breath of a ketotic diabetic smells like
"nail varnish remover" (acetone), or "pear drop" sweets.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 02/05/2007 14:57:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums