The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: pets  (Read 9110 times)

paul.fr

pets
« on: 29/04/2007 23:59:34 »
well, i have ants and i'm sure some of you have cats ar dogs. Bee has snakes, so my question is: do animals have pets?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2007 00:32:26 »
LOL Flea's?? ;D ;D

another_someone

pets
« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2007 00:50:48 »
Depends on how you define a pet.  Our own view of ourselves interprets our actions differently to how we view other animals performing similar roles.

One thing that one assumes to be the case with pet ownership is the inequality of the relationship; although even this is highly variable in nature.  Bee's snakes are kept captive, while many people allow their cats to wonder fairly unrestricted, returning home only for food, and sometimes not even for that.  There are some cat owners who would actively debate whether the the cat is the pet of the human, or the human is the pet of the cat.  Clearly, in legal terms, human law places no responsibility of ownership upon the cat in the way it does upon a human, but how much does the legal framework reflect the actuality of the situation?

Some animals certainly do maintain interspecies relationships, whether it is the relationship between pilot fish and sharks, or species of ant that enslave another species of ant.  How much this correlates to the human notion of keeping pets, or some other relationship (since these are working relationships, where the animal is put to use, much as a horse is put to use, and not merely kept for company or decoration).  Furthermore, clearly no non-human animal has the economic or legal written codes that allow formal ownership in the way that humans will formally have documented ownership of a pet.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/2007 02:01:12 »
Paul,

Did you forget that we ARE mammals, or is your wife ...... well, I won't go there.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #4 on: 02/05/2007 05:04:11 »
when i was little we had a cat who had a pet chipmonk. they sat on the stairs together. the little guy climbed on top of the cat

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #5 on: 02/05/2007 05:40:51 »
I luff cats !!...and as George mentioned.....I am of the camp that cats own their owners...

Oh Cats.....I absolutely luff cats......though they do have omnipotent tendencies, as they appear to receive without giving, (unlike dogs etc), but, there's something about the feline which is special, almost spiritual, sleek in nature and refined in form, they are a wonder to behold. Yep, me luffs cats. Once ewe get to know your cat ewe realise they DO give soooo much. Stroking them can be an art though. Many prefer different types of tactile caresses, under the chin, around the ears, behind the neck, the way they arch their back as ewe stroke them from head to tail. The purr that is therapeutic to the ear, and healing to the body, the gentle 'meow' incorporating a 'purr' is such a delight and displays their special nature. Yep, me luffs cats.....when they bring ewe pressies, like mice and birds and frogs and whales !! ;D and they leave the happily half eaten remains on your doorstep ewe know ewe have been blessed with a happy gift from a best friend !!,the way they thoughtfully and sympathetically crap and wee in next doors garden is a joy and wonder  showing compassion and love, the way they sharpen their claws on your best furniture displays their ease with your company......OK OK !!..there may be a little tongue in cheek going on here but cats almost have a 'spiritual' air about them, they are mysterious and have many secrets....it's a pleasure to stroke them, it feels good if nothing else, but they're like a humming healing bag of catty joy !! I luff cats, have i mentioned that ?...Patting a cat is a different thing, try gently patting it in the middle of the back down to the base of the tail, ewe should be rewarded with squinty eyes and claws that grip....but ewe have to be gentle....and when they 'make dough' it's so cute, y'know, when they raise their paws up and down on your tummy or bed, it's a throwback from when they were kittens to encourage mummy to give them milk...it's soooooooo cute. Don't hate cats, luff cats. Get to know cats.....and if a cat wants to play, then play !!!...it's soooo funny and is like a personal safari study, as ewe witness their hunting techniques. Enjoy cats...

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #6 on: 02/05/2007 05:52:04 »
i don't know... our other cat seemed to be a giver... if i was crying she'd curl up on my lap and look at me all sad like she wanted to make it better. i think she killed the chipmonk though... poor alvin...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #7 on: 02/05/2007 06:03:00 »
i don't know... our other cat seemed to be a giver... if i was crying she'd curl up on my lap and look at me all sad like she wanted to make it better. i think she killed the chipmonk though... poor alvin...

Yes, you're right.....me does conclude that cats do indeed give soooo much!!

I remember my cat would seem to be consoling me too when me was sad...*le sigh*

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #8 on: 02/05/2007 06:06:39 »
one time i was pet sitting while my aunt was on vacation and i caught a cold. the rest of the week i had a huge dog, a small dog, and a twenty seven pound cat trying to lay on me. that was frustrating. but they just wanted to help...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #9 on: 02/05/2007 06:11:35 »
Awwwwwww !!!....that's soooooo cute !!...petty luff giving petty joy......

yayyyyyyyyyyy !!..pets are great..........

Hang On 27lb Cat ?....that is Big Cat Luff ewe had going on right there !!!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #10 on: 02/05/2007 06:16:12 »
yes he's huge!! he's bigger than the small dog!! it's funny. he's solid muscle though! well and fluff

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #11 on: 02/05/2007 06:17:15 »
I love cats too and miss me kitty!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #12 on: 02/05/2007 06:28:15 »
and apparently my fish has an invisible pet fish...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #13 on: 02/05/2007 07:37:48 »
LOL.. Maybe he sees his reflection in the glass!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #14 on: 02/05/2007 15:14:41 »
I luff cats !!...and as George mentioned.....I am of the camp that cats own their owners...

Oh Cats.....I absolutely luff cats......though they do have omnipotent tendencies, as they appear to receive without giving, (unlike dogs etc), but, there's something about the feline which is special, almost spiritual, sleek in nature and refined in form, they are a wonder to behold. Yep, me luffs cats. Once ewe get to know your cat ewe realise they DO give soooo much. Stroking them can be an art though. Many prefer different types of tactile caresses, under the chin, around the ears, behind the neck, the way they arch their back as ewe stroke them from head to tail. The purr that is therapeutic to the ear, and healing to the body, the gentle 'meow' incorporating a 'purr' is such a delight and displays their special nature. Yep, me luffs cats.....when they bring ewe pressies, like mice and birds and frogs and whales !! ;D and they leave the happily half eaten remains on your doorstep ewe know ewe have been blessed with a happy gift from a best friend !!,the way they thoughtfully and sympathetically crap and wee in next doors garden is a joy and wonder  showing compassion and love, the way they sharpen their claws on your best furniture displays their ease with your company......OK OK !!..there may be a little tongue in cheek going on here but cats almost have a 'spiritual' air about them, they are mysterious and have many secrets....it's a pleasure to stroke them, it feels good if nothing else, but they're like a humming healing bag of catty joy !! I luff cats, have i mentioned that ?...Patting a cat is a different thing, try gently patting it in the middle of the back down to the base of the tail, ewe should be rewarded with squinty eyes and claws that grip....but ewe have to be gentle....and when they 'make dough' it's so cute, y'know, when they raise their paws up and down on your tummy or bed, it's a throwback from when they were kittens to encourage mummy to give them milk...it's soooooooo cute. Don't hate cats, luff cats. Get to know cats.....and if a cat wants to play, then play !!!...it's soooo funny and is like a personal safari study, as ewe witness their hunting techniques. Enjoy cats...

Nice.  You almost made me want to like kitty cats.....almost.

another_someone

pets
« Reply #15 on: 02/05/2007 15:52:14 »

His name isn't Harvey, is it?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #16 on: 02/05/2007 16:32:57 »

LOL...YOU luff cats !!..YES YOU DO !!!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #17 on: 02/05/2007 16:48:48 »

Shhhh, don't tell anyone, people might actually think I'm starting to soften up, which could lead to them believing I'm sweet.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #18 on: 02/05/2007 17:37:25 »
TOO LATE Carolyn!!! LOL

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #19 on: 02/05/2007 19:31:35 »
well i don't know the invisible fishies name, but no, the fish i can see is named... hmmm i guess he doesn't have a name...

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
pets
« Reply #20 on: 02/05/2007 20:40:06 »

[/quote]

Shhhh, don't tell anyone, people might actually think I'm starting to soften up, which could lead to them believing I'm sweet.
[/quote]

Now we wouldn't anyone to believe such a tail....oops, I meant tale like that!  LOL

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #21 on: 04/05/2007 14:13:08 »

His name isn't Harvey, is it?

Do you honestly expect a fish to remember its pet's name?  [:o)]

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
pets
« Reply #22 on: 05/05/2007 04:02:19 »
i could leave him a note propped up against the side of the tank... then he might remember

The Naked Scientists Forum

pets
« Reply #22 on: 05/05/2007 04:02:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums