The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are NSAIDS? Why can I not take aspirin, but paracetamol is okay?  (Read 3083 times)

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ok, I know that "nsaids" are things like aspirin and ibuprofen, but i'm not entirely sure what they do that is different than plain old paracetamol... i'm allergic to nsaids, and i'd kind of like to know what is in them that i'm allergic to. is there a common ingredient? i can take paracetamol (acetaminophen) without any problems, but my throat swells up if i take the others. just curious...
« Last Edit: 06/05/2007 22:29:08 by chris »

paul.fr

Ok, I know that "nsaids" are things like aspirin and ibuprofen, but i'm not entirely sure what they do that is different than plain old tylenol... i'm allergic to nsaids, and i'd kind of like to know what is in them that i'm allergic to. is there a common ingredient? i can take tylenol (acetaminophen) without any problems, but my throat swells up if i take the others. just curious...

this site is always woth reading:  http://allergies.about.com/od/medicationallergies/a/nsaids.htm

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
oh i see! thank you...kind of strange that anti-inflammatory drugs make my throat swell up, now isn't it?

paul.fr

oh i see! thank you...kind of strange that anti-inflammatory drugs make my throat swell up, now isn't it?

yes, i never read the possible side effects page - you would never take the medication if you knew "what may" happen as a result!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums