The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: supersonic whip "crack", (myth?)  (Read 8257 times)

Offline Igor

• View Profile
supersonic whip "crack", (myth?)
« on: 04/05/2007 18:09:38 »
When a whip is "cracked" is this due to the end of the whip exceeding the speed of sound
and producing a mini-sonic boom ?, or is this a myth ? 

Offline Batroost

• There's no such thing as a dirty atom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/2007 18:25:48 »
I read an article just the other day about this - some researchers have looked at this and decided that it's not the tip that makes the crack; instead (I think) it's the 'wave' travelling down the length of the whip that actually ends-up going supersonic and giving the 'crack' sound.

I can't find the article in question but you may be able to locate it on the inernet?

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 04/05/2007 18:37:47 »
I read an article just the other day about this - some researchers have looked at this and decided that it's not the tip that makes the crack; instead (I think) it's the 'wave' travelling down the length of the whip that actually ends-up going supersonic and giving the 'crack' sound.

I can't find the article in question but you may be able to locate it on the inernet?

Yep, saw the same thing.  I think it was on the Scientific American site, and I think it was not merely a supersonic wave, but a wave travelling at twice the speed of sound.  I think I did actually post a reference to teh article on this site some little time ago - maybe I when I get a moment I might try and search for it.

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 06/05/2007 08:18:38 »
When a whip is "cracked" is this due to the end of the whip exceeding the speed of sound
and producing a mini-sonic boom ?, or is this a myth ? 

the whip is also the first man made object/thing! to break the sound barrier. i do believe that this was a question on the Naked scientist radio show, some years back.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 06/05/2007 08:18:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length