The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Nintendo Wii's controlers ?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Nintendo Wii's controlers ?
« on: 05/05/2007 19:01:53 »
We've just got a Nintendo Wii !!

I have to say..the way ewe ewes it is amazing !!

You hold a wireless controller in your hand and the Nintendo knows where it is.

I've been bowling, playing tennis, baseball, golf, boxing today !

How does it know where the controller is ? and how does it know how to apply  the appropriate force you move things faster/slower ?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06/05/2007 01:14:52 »
I have never seen one but the majority of the kids even at the preschool know what they are and how they work! DID you have loads of fun?

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: 06/05/2007 01:20:33 »
There are apparently 2 technologies in them. They have silicon accelerometers - these are silicon chips with big long (a few μm) slightly bendy pieces of silicon that are stuck down at one end and not at the other. If you accelerate them they will bend - just like if you hold a bendy twig - if you wave it around it will bend. You then measure the capacitance between them and the piece of silicon next to them - this will change as they bend. more here http://archives.sensorsmag.com/articles/0203/14/main.shtml

The will measure how fast you are waving it, and probably used for the really active games. It however doesn't tell the computer where it is pointing. for this the WII uses a second technology involving a sensor bar? this has a load of infra red LEDs - the things your remote control uses for talking to the TV. There are sensors on the Wiimote which detedt which direction these are in and therefore where teh wiimote is pointing  in real space - I guess there is some sort of calibration step so it doesn't matter exactly where the sensor strip is.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 06/05/2007 01:20:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums