The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: EINSTEIN  (Read 18191 times)

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: EINSTEIN
« Reply #25 on: 22/04/2004 04:30:13 »
Has anyone seen the movie Deliverance?

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #26 on: 26/04/2004 07:45:36 »
I've been meaning to ever since I went down there.... people tokd me not to before hand, but i still meant to, just never got around to it.

We don't want the loonies taking over!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26/04/2004 21:28:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Donnah

Has anyone seen the movie Deliverance?

Yep...great film and great Banjo playing....in fact the guy who played the banjo was recently interviewed on BBC Radio a few months ago...and oh boy...did he sound as if he was still right for that part  !!!

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27/04/2004 04:00:12 »
Mr. Fly, I'm not surprised you found someone like that in Wal-Mart (or maybe they found you).  Of course, their interest probably fell off rapidly when they heard your foreign accent!

What part of AR did you visit?

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27/04/2004 07:05:27 »
We were backpacking in the ozarks national forest (hurricane wilderness area mainly) and stopped in a few towns on the outskirts for suplies on our way in and our way out.  And I'm not forgien!!!  I'm ALMOST from canada, but not quite!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27/04/2004 19:05:18 »
Anyone from north of the Mason Dixon line is foreign!  If you don't believe me, just ask some of those Wal-Mart locals - they'll tell ya - if they don't shoot ya first!  [}:)]

----

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27/04/2004 19:45:56 »
Einstein and his cousin/wife were a brilliant couple at physics, looking into more than what appeared profitable. They had children, one was schizophrenic and violent. This drama was made worse because the marriage broke up since Albert was always attending conferences and probably lecturing... Einstein is famous for his part in the bomb and the course of WW2. He decided to apply it to use in Japan. Or at least recommended it. He was Jewish. Apparently he was dyslexic.

Titanscape

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27/04/2004 23:52:49 »
I don't think he reccomended it being used in Japan... or at all... those were other people's ideas.  As far as I know he didn't even design the bomb, just came up with the science to make it possible.  

And those wal-mart hotties didn't seem to mind our forgien accents, they just seemed amazed that we had all of our teeth. :D

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28/04/2004 03:41:53 »
Einstein played a role in the development of the atomic bomb, but it was actually not a very large role scientifically.  He was very much a pacificist and did not recommend the use of the Bomb.  He did however understand the danger that would arise if Hitler got the Bomb before the Allies, and was instrumental in the politics of pursuing the development by the Allies.

Scientifically, Einstein was working on Relativity theory, not quantum mechanics.  QM was the driving science behind the Bomb. Einstein never really accepted QM as being a viable theory.

----

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28/04/2004 20:11:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Titanscape

Einstein and his cousin/wife were a brilliant couple at physics, looking into more than what appeared profitable. They had children, one was schizophrenic and violent. This drama was made worse because the marriage broke up since Albert was always attending conferences and probably lecturing... Einstein is famous for his part in the bomb and the course of WW2. He decided to apply it to use in Japan. Or at least recommended it. He was Jewish. Apparently he was dyslexic.

Titanscape

I thought it was his first wife who was good at physics, not his second (cousin).  Not sure which one of the ladies had his children either.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #34 on: 28/04/2004 20:11:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums