The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Birth Marks  (Read 5836 times)

paul.fr

Birth Marks
« on: 07/05/2007 18:39:56 »
What are birth marks, and why do we have them?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #1 on: 09/05/2007 04:50:18 »
A birth mark you are born with.. you do not aquire it after as I understand . I have one in my groin.. Mine is about the size of Liz Taylors beauty mark on her face.. LOL Mine for years was very smooth, now it is slightly raised but I suspect that is from weight gain. Mine is brown.About 1/2 inch in diameter! I have seen bright red ones that cover most of the face or other body areas.

I wonder if it is inherited, or having to do with a portion of the skin having more or less pigmentation in it!
« Last Edit: 09/05/2007 15:14:46 by Karen W. »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
Birth Marks
« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2007 04:54:37 »
I have a blue mark where Liz's is...then two others which are brown

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2007 04:59:27 »
Are yours raised?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2007 05:04:11 »
My kids have this weird little spot in the same place on each of their backs same place each l three kids, It looks like a old bruise that has faded out all but gone the spot is smaller around then your pinky nail, not as big as a tack, about double the size of a straight pin head. It seems to be under the skin rather then on it like mine..

I think some must be inherited as my kids all have identical ones.. 

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #5 on: 09/05/2007 05:08:23 »
Ashley has a small heart shaped one on her cheek bone.  When she was a baby she pinched her cheek when she slept.  Doctors said she probably did that in the womb, which is what caused her birth mark.

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #6 on: 09/05/2007 05:11:48 »
Are yours raised?

The one on my tummy and the one between my little finger is...My Doctor (who is Asian)said it was known if you had one by your pinky on the right hand it was good luck...I am still waiting for it!  LOL

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #7 on: 09/05/2007 05:12:44 »
awwww, that is sweet...

does anyone think they are sexy?

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #8 on: 09/05/2007 05:18:07 »
in school i knew this one boy who shaved his head one day and found out he had one on his head. he said he'd never shave his head again

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Birth Marks
« Reply #9 on: 09/05/2007 05:22:42 »
I like my birthmark, its on my right cheek but you can't see it ;);D

does anyone think they are sexy?

I don't know about sexy, but a uniquely placed one or finding a uniquely placed one can be interesting! ;)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #10 on: 10/05/2007 15:28:37 »
Well I guess we still don't know what they are for sure or why we have them!

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #11 on: 10/05/2007 15:59:12 »
I have one on the back of my head, which seems to be a common place for them.

This is obviously not a peer reviewed link, so don't take it as gospel, but as usual Wikipedia seems to have good info.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #12 on: 10/05/2007 16:15:25 »
Gee, I've got a 1" irregular-shaped, dark tan blob on the outer side of my left leg. I always thought it was due to alien "branding".

:o

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #13 on: 10/05/2007 16:38:41 »
I have seen bright red ones that cover most of the face or other body areas.

I wonder if it is inherited, or having to do with a portion of the skin having more or less pigmentation in it!

The curse of the Celtic people (as it is sometimes know) is not something a person is born wit. there are three (maybe more) reasons for it.

1---- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea : It is a problem that numerous people share - see list at bottom of the page

2---- spider angioma - a dilation of superficial capillaries with a central red dot from which blood vessels radiate. I had this one for about 2 years when it just went away as suddenly as it appeared.

3---- A specific type of tumor (I cannot find its name) that cause the really raised, bumpy, angry wine-colored facial scars. These can grow and eventually enter the brain. I am aware of these because an acquaintance of mine had this and eventually passed away because of it.

« Last Edit: 10/05/2007 16:42:54 by JimBob »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #14 on: 10/05/2007 17:25:39 »
My mother said I was born with mine .. and I know My children were born with theres as it was noted at their birth. as was mine.from day one!

Sorry about your friend JimBob. I had two girl School friends in highschool who were twins and they both carried the same facial birthmarks the wine colored ones over half of their faces.. They are both still around as I recall. I am glad They are around. I had no idea that could kill them!

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Birth Marks
« Reply #15 on: 10/05/2007 17:39:03 »
I have seen bright red ones that cover most of the face or other body areas.

The curse of the Celtic people (as it is sometimes know) is not something a person is born wit. there are three (maybe more) reasons for it.

1---- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea : It is a problem that numerous people share - see list at bottom of the page

2---- spider angioma - a dilation of superficial capillaries with a central red dot from which blood vessels radiate. I had this one for about 2 years when it just went away as suddenly as it appeared.

3---- A specific type of tumor (I cannot find its name) that cause the really raised, bumpy, angry wine-colored facial scars. These can grow and eventually enter the brain. I am aware of these because an acquaintance of mine had this and eventually passed away because of it.

The bright red marks speak of are called Port Wine Stains. They are caused by enlarged capillaries, and they are pretty common. I know about 10 people with them, according to wikipedia 3 out of 1000 people have them. They are present at birth and do not go away without medical treatment. A friend of mine would have his blasted with lasers once a week to shrink the blood vessels.

Wikipedia also states that they could be symptoms of Sturge-Weber syndrome or Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber Syndrome. SW is a neurological disease that can cause seizures, and KTW involves asymmetric limb hypertrophy (limb enlargement.)

I also want to say that just because someone has a port wine stain it does not mean that they are unhealthy. Sometimes it is simply just a birthmark and not a precursor to death.

And Rosacea is a redness in the face that looks as if you have windburn or acne. I have it, there is an unbelivable difference between a port wine stain and rosacea.
« Last Edit: 10/05/2007 17:41:38 by elegantlywasted »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Birth Marks
« Reply #16 on: 10/05/2007 18:36:16 »
I agree Both my mom and my Aunt had rosacea!

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Birth Marks
« Reply #17 on: 10/05/2007 18:44:19 »
Having it is a pain, people always ask why I'm blushing or where I went to get such a sunburn. Latley it has been better, I have it shrunk down to a patch on either side of my face and it is not as bright on the apples of my cheeks.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Birth Marks
« Reply #17 on: 10/05/2007 18:44:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums