The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would Brain Transplant ever be possible?  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Would Brain Transplant ever be possible?
« on: 07/05/2007 21:08:28 »
I was looking through the forums here...

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=7264.msg76018#msg76018

And I was wondering whether brain transplants would ever be possible in the future? I mean, why not? I understand that it is a very very essential part of our body and that it is very delicate and hard to handle.. But.. Isn't there a way somehow?

If we disconnect the brain, then we immediately die, right? So there may still be a way of not disconnecting the brain, and still managing the transplant.. Yes, it seems a bit silly.

And even if the transplant does work, will we still have the same memories? Or take the memories and feelings and emotions of the person who used to own that brain?
« Last Edit: 07/05/2007 22:29:10 by Seany »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/05/2007 21:39:46 »
Yes...!!..In mY opinion.....I am positive that in the future brains will be able to be transplanted !!

In fact...anyone can do it now...just unsuccessfully !!

I always have great faith in human ingenuity and I am sure it will be possible..

I am sure it will also be possible to download ourselves into a robotic chip/brain type thing as well !!...which is nice !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/05/2007 21:40:37 »
Seany...ewe need to sort that link out in your post matey...it ain't working !!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2007 21:40:51 »
Oh deary Neily!!! Going too far again!!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/05/2007 21:41:52 »
Der we go. All fixed

Offline benep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/05/2007 21:51:57 »
well it is do-able but we will need very very highly experienced brain tranplaters   and it will be very very very risky of losing memory or it not suceeding at all

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/05/2007 21:55:28 »
I doubt it is possible at the moment. Maybe within a few years.. But.. 90% of all surgeries would probably still fail even in 20 years time.

another_someone

« Reply #7 on: 07/05/2007 22:15:19 »
I think we would be looking firstly at transplanting parts of the brain (e.g. transplanting the substantia niagra to treat parkinsonsism).

In reality, I have always thought that transplants, by their nature, are not a long term medical strategy (you rely on curing people by using the corpses of others seems somewhat self defeating in that the more lives you save the fewer cadavers you will have from which to obtain the raw materials for transplants).

To my mind, in the long term we will find ways of using stem cells to allow a patient to regrow their own damaged organs rather than relying on transplants.  We might still possibly use transplants in emergencies, as a stop gap measure until we have grown a new replacement organ; but not the final solution.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/05/2007 22:16:33 »
Yes.. But stem cells. That is also a problem isn't it? I don't know much about them, but I think I know that stem cells cannot be controlled at the moment. They just keep growing.. And this eventually leads to cancer?

another_someone

« Reply #9 on: 07/05/2007 22:26:11 »
Yes.. But stem cells. That is also a problem isn't it? I don't know much about them, but I think I know that stem cells cannot be controlled at the moment. They just keep growing.. And this eventually leads to cancer?

No, this is not the case.

Certainly, there is a lot to learn about stem cells, but stem cells respond to their environment, and if placed in the correct environment they will produce whatever part of the body they should be creating.  What we need to learn is how to manage that environment so that the correct part of the body is produced, and the stem cells don't produce the wrong thing, or nothing at all.  I am not aware of them becoming cancerous (although I know that was an early fear, I did not think that experience had substantiated that fear).

One problem with stem cells is that simply using stem cells to replace a diseased organ, what is it that prevents the new organ succumbing to the same disease as the old organ.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07/05/2007 22:28:57 »
Oh.. Well.. *Cough*.. Yep.. ;) Err thanks ;)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08/05/2007 02:39:21 »
I do hope the technology comes around soon. I need my brain transplanted to the body of a young healthy, STUDLY man!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 08/05/2007 02:39:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums