The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?  (Read 805901 times)

tweener

• View Profile
Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?
« on: 25/03/2004 05:26:37 »
After reading the thread on shingles, I remembered that I have something to contribute here.

When I was young, I suffered cold sores every few weeks.  This went on for years. Then I found the cure!  Hold an ice cube directly on the sore for 15 to 20 minutes.  Use a washcloth to keep your fingers from melting it, but put the ice directly on the sore.  Repeat this every three or four hours for a couple of days (until the sore is not "feverish" anymore).  You won't ever get a cold sore right there again.

When I feel a cold sore starting, I start using ice, and it prevents it from breaking the skin and really erupting into a full blown cold sore.  The initial spot is usually gone in less than one day.  If I wait for a day and the sore has developed, the ice makes it go away faster than it would otherwise.

I used this treatment several times over the course of a couple of years, and the cold sores gradually dimished to the point that I would only get one after a really high fever or long exposure to the sun.  Now, I haven't had one in over six years, even after I'm sick or in the sun.  I'm cured!  (knock on wood).

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.
« Last Edit: 28/11/2008 22:23:39 by Karen W. »

NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
Re: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?
« Reply #1 on: 27/03/2004 07:23:31 »
There is some evidence that compounds present in garlic can help to reduce the severity of a cold sore. A number of pharmaceutical companies have been pursuing this line for a while to identify the agent and market it in a form that doesn't make you stink or repel vampires.

Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/03/2004 21:43:39 »
L-Lysiene helps keep the herpes virus dormant.

Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #3 on: 12/05/2004 06:02:20 »
Doesn't the ice get awfully cold on your genitals, though?

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

tweener

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/05/2004 02:47:55 »
Fortunately, I've never had to worry about that end!:0

And, I don't think they're called "cold sores" when they're down there anyway.

----

Jazz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2004 10:31:04 »
Yes it gets very cold and sometimes causes shrinkage. But thats OK. Kinda feels good and the girls love it;)[:p]

quote:
Originally posted by Ylide

Doesn't the ice get awfully cold on your genitals, though?

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

jdel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/11/2005 13:49:42 »
Ooooh, I know the answer to this one!
I get cold sores at the drop of a hat.  They are always so bad I have to get a prescription for them....well, no more!
At the first inkling of a bump, I take 3 Lysine, and 3 more every for hours, and I never get the cold sore.  Bump is gone!  If I don't get to the Lysine in time to stop the cold sore, it greatly lessens the time and severity.

Lysine is all natural and dirt cheap, and you can buy it just about anywhere!

I carry them with me at all times, have been cold sore free ever since I found out this little secret!

I've found all the princes, now in search of a good frog.

DoctorBeaver

• Too Much Free Time Level Member
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2005 04:06:42 »
This thread particularly interests me as I have a persistent cold sore problem. Nothing I've used so far has worked to any noticeable extent so I'll try the rememdies mentioned here. Thank you

njmandela

• View Profile
    • http://www.joot.com/dave/writings/articles/cold-sores/
« Reply #8 on: 04/12/2005 09:47:02 »
Hi there.

You might find the following site of interest:

http://www.joot.com/dave/writings/articles/cold-sores/

Has tips, home remedies, treatments, and a fairly current news section to keep you updated of recent related events.

-NJ

Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/12/2005 17:54:13 »
Thanks for the link, Nelson. And thanks for "BTT"-ing this topic DrB. It's of interest to me too.

I'm puzzled why nobody has mentioned Zovirax (or other Aciclovir-containing creams) in this discussion (although you can find it hidden in the "products" section of Mr.Mandela's link).  I thought it was the most common product for cold-sores - and I've always found it works for me.  (It seems expensive, but you use so little of it each time you get a cold sore, one tube can last you for a year, so it actually works out as reasonably good value for money.)

DoctorBeaver

• Too Much Free Time Level Member
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04/12/2005 18:42:08 »
I've tried Zovirax but I can't say if it works or not. Sometimes I get the familiar tingle but the sore does not erupt with or without Zovirax. If I use it after the sore has erupted, how do I know that Zovirax is clearing it up quicker?

hollywood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07/12/2005 19:05:54 »
I've been getting cold sores since I was about 10 years old.  

I probably get a cold sore about 2-3 times a year.  

To treat the cold sore, I usually use a combination of rubbing alcohol and some type of OTC cold sore medicine.  

The cold sore usually dries up within 3 days and then I sport a nice looking scab for about a week.

Let me tell you, I never get tired of people asking me what happened to my lip.

I just got a cold sore today which sucks and am actively trying to find something that will really truly work.

I've tried valtrex and I really couldn't see any kind of a difference in healing time.  

I found this today but it almost seems too good to be true: http://www.vcs.eu.com/

Has anyone else tried this? : http://www.vcs.eu.com/

Or this: http://www.fonoils.com/hbalm.html

I wish they would come out with some kind of vaccine. God knows there's a lot of money to be made if you do come up with the vaccine.

Keep it real.

Soul Surfer

• keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #12 on: 14/12/2005 23:33:19 »
I too have had cold sores for most of my life and the ONLY thing that has ever done any good is "zovirax" or its generic form Aciclovir.  Even then it is absolutely essential to use it the very moment you first feel the tingle or swelling and continue for some time after as reccommended in the instructions.  That's why I always carry a tube with me.  I used to get three ot four a year which went through the full cycle in about a fortnight but nowadays I only get one or two threats a year and they only show for a few hours and do not blister or break the skin.  Well worth keeping in stock I think. If you wait a few hours before starting they wil probably blister a bit and flake but not form a really deep ulcer.  Any longer and the best you can iexpect is a slightly quicker healing.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

ukmicky

• View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #13 on: 15/12/2005 00:35:31 »
what cause's cold sore's.  is it a permanent infection/virus that surfaces every now again which can't be cured.

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 15/12/2005 02:09:26 by ukmicky »

Soul Surfer

• keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #14 on: 15/12/2005 08:00:40 »
Yes it is a permanent infection with a virus called herpes simplex (there are several).  It is ususlly passed on by some scabby aunt slobbering all over you when you are a baby.  It is related to the Chicken pox virus and also the one that causes a disease called shingles.  There is an article on it somewhere in these pages I think.

The virus tends to lurk in nerves and come out when you are under some sort of stress like excessive sun  or a cold (hence the name "cold sore")

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15/12/2005 23:23:36 »
It's also related to genital herpes.

There are two types of Herpes Simplex Virus: HSV-1, which causes cold sores; and HSV-2, which causes genital herpes.

The following site is full of useful facts and very easy to read:
http://herpes-coldsores.com/std/herpes.htm

One thing that too few people are aware of is that (quoting from the above site):

quote:
Although less probable, HSV-1 can also cause genital herpes.

So if you have a cold sore (or feel one coming on), it's probably best to avoid "Doing a Monica" (named after Monica Lewinsky of course) - or if you're a male, avoid "Doing a Donald" (Sutherland, that is - referring to the famous scene in the film "Don't Look Now").

(Unfortunately, both my missus and I get cold sores quite often. :()

ukmicky

• View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #16 on: 16/12/2005 03:52:45 »
I knew the two were related but had no idea a cold sore could cause genital herpes

Michael                                      

gadio

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06/01/2006 10:01:56 »
I've had relly bad cold sores for all my life.  I used to use Zovirax and found it pretty good. Then I tried 'Soothelip' made by 'Bayer' and I think it's just great.  Now I stick with it and always carry it with me.  It's very similar to Zovirax but for some reason it works better with me

ROBERT

« Reply #18 on: 18/01/2006 15:22:06 »
Herpes virus can also cause neurological damage:-

"" Herpes Simplex Encephalitis

Herpes simplex is the most common form of the herpes virus, and often manifests as cold sores and blisters around the mouth, nose, eyes or genital areas. While herpes cannot be cured, new drugs can help prevent outbreaks of the sores and blisters. Although some cases of herpes can cause complications such as meningitis, blindness and hearing problems, in most cases the outbreaks are mild and short-lasting.

In rare cases, the herpes virus can enter the brain and cause encephalitis. This normally only happens in people whose immune systems are already compromised, by illnesses such as AIDS, Hodgkin's disease or diabetes, or by undergoing chemotherapy. Herpes encephalitis is frequently fatal, particularly if treatment is delayed. Unfortunately, since many of the early symptoms mimic the flu (headache, dizziness, vomiting), it is easy to misdiagnose the condition until it is too late.""

http://www.memorylossonline.com/glossary/herpessimplexencephalitis.html

sooty316

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06/02/2006 22:33:51 »
I live in USA and used to suffer from cold sores - My doctor prescribes FAMVIR 500 mg which I takes 2 or 3 a day when I first get a tingle - take for a week - no sores for years.  Cost here about $140 for 14 pills

There is another pill, can't remember name, also prescription that you have to take 5 times daily , less expensive

Hope it helps

Andrew K Fletcher

• KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
    • Operation OASIS
« Reply #20 on: 07/02/2006 10:30:11 »
Dab with aftershave once every two hours, or dab with Kombucha, or dab with lemon juice.

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

jen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18/03/2006 15:40:40 »
how many milligrams in each pill or capsule - what kind do you take?
quote:
Originally posted by jdel

Ooooh, I know the answer to this one!
I get cold sores at the drop of a hat.  They are always so bad I have to get a prescription for them....well, no more!
At the first inkling of a bump, I take 3 Lysine, and 3 more every for hours, and I never get the cold sore.  Bump is gone!  If I don't get to the Lysine in time to stop the cold sore, it greatly lessens the time and severity.

Lysine is all natural and dirt cheap, and you can buy it just about anywhere!

I carry them with me at all times, have been cold sore free ever since I found out this little secret!

I've found all the princes, now in search of a good frog.

Jesus gives life more abundantly - it's free!

tweener

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19/03/2006 16:26:07 »
I still say the ice method works, is permanent, and is cheap and easy.

----

david666

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23/04/2006 17:26:56 »
Hi, I suffered cold sores for several years, even today i felt a cold sore starting but I have the cure for it, it definitly work for me. Here ar the 3 steps that you must follow:
1. At the very moment you start to feel the firs tingle, you must use zorivax or aciclovir in both the creme and pills (2 pills of 200 mg and the creme works for me)
2. Go to sleep. This is probably the reason why aciclovir works for me and dosent work for other people. Relax, forget the cold sore and go to sleep (this will reduce the stress and will make the aciclovir work perfectly). Even if you are in work, tell your boss you feel very sick and go to sleep. If you need some kind of pill for sleep, take it.
3. Wake up, and you will notice that the sore is gone.

These 3 steps have work perfectly for me and other people I told them to follow these steps.

(Sorry for the writting, english is not my first language)

bboyem1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22/05/2006 00:21:37 »
well i been getting cold sores since i was like  7 years old, now im 23.. at first i didnt know what that really was until like 5 years ago and every since i found out that is herpes type 1, when i get one is so embarressing to go out and i feel like people are looking at me and they like dont want to get close  and stuff.i tried everything and nothing works but im gonna try the ice thing.last year was a bad year i think i  got a cold sore like 5 times.. the years before i barely got one.. sometimes i used to go for years without getting one..

jose

SMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines