The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?  (Read 1248825 times)

Offline naked64

• First timers
    • View Profile
Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?
« Reply #100 on: 25/08/2011 00:20:14 »
In my experience, Zovirax provides the best relief. Next up is Famvir tablets but only if taken early on. L-Lysine is totally ineffective and just gives me really bad headaches. Your results may vary.

Last episode was not stress related. Thinking the trigger may have been the half gallon premium OJ I consumed the day prior.

Offline kelinsaw

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 26/08/2011 16:09:35 »
Well, leaving with herpes is really painful.Sometimes you may feel embarrassed and awkward at public places. But you should not worry at all. I am here to help you out. Herpes specially cold sores can easily be cured with natural treatment. You can use ice pack on herpes. It gives soothing and calming effect. You can use baking soda to dry out sores and for getting relief from itching.Beside that jojoba oils, vitamin E, calendula and olive oil is helpful in repairing the skin after outbreak. 

<Always with the Infectious Spam! Oy vey!>

« Last Edit: 26/08/2011 16:30:11 by peppercorn »

Offline AlexZ

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 09/09/2011 03:47:22 »
I have found that a specific diet and some dietary supplements (Lysine, zinc, vitamin C and N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) work really well for me.
I have been suffering from labial herpes for 25 years and since 3 years I'm almost cold sores free (1 or 2 ridiculous small ones).
There is an interesting article on how diet can influence cold sores (not a shameless plug, free info).
Yeah - but it's "free" info from a site run by a very commercially interested party - Sorry link deleted
« Last Edit: 09/09/2011 16:50:01 by imatfaal »

Offline ScienceBank

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 21/09/2011 16:39:11 »
Forget all these home remedies - Tea Tree Oil is the most effective cold sore treatment ever.

I get cold sores about twice a month and applying natural tea tree oil at around 10% or tea tree oil mixed with some other oils, such as lavender and royal jelly gets rid of the inflammation in about a day, max. Applying it at the prodrome (tingling stage), would literally prevent it from popping up.

Found some more proof on google about Tea Tree Oil effectiveness - link removed, just a few too many "buy it here" buttons for me to really believe that site was neutral - mod

The site above (not affiliated), has spot on treatment reviews. Acyclovir (Zovirax), like others mentioned here, has awful side effects for you... The best way is to go with a topical cream like tea tree oil or a branded one that's mixed with other anti-viral ingredients.
« Last Edit: 22/09/2011 10:41:17 by imatfaal »

Offline jackdcosta56

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 04/10/2011 13:07:15 »
Hello!
How about the cold sore machine? I have heard that it is one of the best treatment that even the NHS recommends to use.
----------------------
newbielink:http://www.spam.co.uk/virulite-cold-sore-machine [nonactive]
« Last Edit: 19/10/2011 14:34:49 by imatfaal »

Offline eromlee

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Back pain relief
« Reply #105 on: 19/10/2011 13:59:15 »
what? ? a machine? well I don't have some idea about that.  [B)]

Offline gillianb34

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 22/10/2011 13:06:24 »
Has anyone else tried this? : <likely spam removed>

i did a trial for this treatment a few years back and i still have the device, if u get the cold sore at the tingle with this device it does work, but mine always decides to come out when im sleeping, any tips on speeding up fast recovery when its out
« Last Edit: 22/10/2011 22:40:25 by peppercorn »

Offline tutylu

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 10/11/2011 16:30:45 »
has anyone heard of this Lectroject Iontophoretic Drug Delivery (Herpes Treatment) it says i can actually cure the herpes but its kinda expensive however i wouldn't mind saving up if that means the end of such a embarrasing and horrible thing, sick of the scaring in my nose an mouth due to cold sore outbreaks the last horrible one was on my nose when i flew to germany one month and half after it i still have a red nose where the sore was it was so big :(. if anyone heard of this machines or this ion therapy plz let me know i dint wanna waits $300 if its useless. 

thanks

Offline billt

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?
« Reply #108 on: 27/01/2012 04:01:21 »
I too have found that ice (if used early enough) is a miracle "cure" for a cold sore. I hold it on as long as possible, at least 5 minutes at a time for 20-30 minutes. When I read this tip initially, it said that the reason it works is because it weakens the virus to the point of not being able to spread to healthy cells, so just use this visual as your lip feels numb to the point of falling off and it will help you stick with it! In addition, I take Acyclovir (my doc gives me a prescription with a few refills b/c I usually get 2 or 3 sores every winter) and L-lysine 3-4 times a day. Also, when the lesion is first forming (or I miss it for too long and it really gets visible) I'll pierce it with a sterile needle (probably shouldn't suggest this b/c it's probably not too safe but desperate times call for desperate measures and I want to help others by sharing what works for me) and then alternate topical treatments including Denavir (prescription) and Abreva and Reliev (both OTC). The Abreva works best early on and the Reliev tends to dry it out more once a lesion has fully formed. The last time I had a sore, I woke up with a lesion that was visible to me and definitely well on it's way and it was gone within 48 hours using this routine. After it goes away, stick with the treatments for a few extra days to really make sure you kick it. P.S. I've never had side affects with Acyclovir and L-lysine, just for the record of anyone who's hesitant based on previous posts.
« Last Edit: 27/01/2012 04:03:21 by billt »

Offline mbxrachel

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #109 on: 08/03/2012 16:47:03 »
Hi, so I normally don't get cold sores. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had one. But oddly enough I woke up with one beginning to form on my face about two days ago. Since I haven't gotten one in so long, it's been a learn as you go process.

My method so far has been to apply Zovirax (the second I noticed a vague bumb, I used it) and occasionally peroxide. Yesterday (Day 2) I tried the ice method which seemed to aid in the healing process, though I don't get them frequently enough to compare to other methods. I also gently pierced it with a sterile needle to drain it a bit and proceeded to clean it with peroxide and took l-lysine pills. Now (Day 3) it's yellow and beginning to crust. The day has just started so I have yet to decide how to go about this stage.

I figured I would share my method so far in case it ends up being effective for anyone.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 11/05/2012 09:05:14 »
I too think ice works for cold sores, I also take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofin, and I think that helps, plus rubbing alcohol to keep it sterile and to dry it up. I've also tried applying retin-a, since it supposedly speeds up skin cell turn-over. When I do all these things, the sore goes away in 3-4 days instead of 5-8. As far as prevention goes, try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth during cold and flu season, jump on a fever if you do get sick, don't get sleep deprived, and wear sunscreen especially early in the year, since those are usually the triggers. Some people claim acidic foods trigger it for them, but I haven't noticed that myself.

Offline mb1982

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 23/10/2012 16:01:21 »
Whey Protein Shake Mixes usually have about 3000 mg of Lysine in each 30mg serving.  If you get a 2 lb bin of it, for $40, it's a pretty decent serving of lysine.

I went about 1.5 years without one, then realized that the only thing I'd changed was adding this to my diet.

Offline sisidroms

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 07/01/2013 03:09:40 »
After years of suffering from cold sores, here is my method to get rid of them in less than 24 hours:
At first sight of tingling put ice on the affected area for 15-20 mins. Repeat a few times.
After put Tea tree oil - it dries up the cold sore. Repeat every 2 hours.
I also use L-Lysine pills and Lysine+ lip ointment, but I honestly don't think it's essential if you catch the cold sore in the developing stage.
I usually alternate between Tea tree oil and the Lysine+ ointment, but as I said I think you can skip the Lysine.  Ice and Tea tree oil should be enough to take care of the problem.
Good luck! This method works for me, I hope it will help you.

Offline arielwright111

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 28/02/2013 05:18:23 »
Thanks a lot for sharing useful information about cold sores. Natural blend of essential oils helps you treat Cold Sores and Muscle & Joint pains.Suffering from: insomnia, cold, flu, sore throat, headache or stress.Try natural treatment and home remedies to put yourself in a state of relaxation, meditation & prayer.

[Mod: Please no links to personal websites on your first post]
« Last Edit: 05/03/2013 06:14:15 by CliffordK »

Offline heliski55

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 09/03/2013 16:10:30 »
I have tried just about every product/ice/natural cure/etc.  Best thing I have found by far is viradux-coldsore.  You just use it like a chapstick 4x per day and no more gross cold sores.  I think it's fairly new.  Hope this helps!

Offline heliski55

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 12/03/2013 17:01:26 »
the best thing I have tried... and I have tried them all!  is viradux-coldsore.  Just came out last year.  The ice trick sometimes works if you get there early enough but just using this viradux med lip balm keep them from ever getting started in the 1st place...  IMO. O8)

Offline shytiger

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 09/05/2013 17:29:10 »
I had not had a cold sore in 3 years and then all of a sudden, last week, I developed a really good one above my lips.  I wondered what I had been doing different that had thwarted off the outbreaks.  I realized that almost three weeks ago I had neglected to pick up all my fruits and vegetables from the store that I use to make my juice. I typically make a gallon on Sunday and drink about 8 or so ounces in the morning Mon-Friday.  I had gone three weeks w/o my regimen which for the main intent is to maintain a consistent weight.  I started juicing nearly 3 years ago.  This recipe below could have acted as a preventative measure all this time w/o my knowledge.  Here is the recipe (for one gallon)

2 bushels of kale
2 stocks of celery
4 lemons
6 apples
a slice of ginger root (the size f your thumb)
4-5 cucumbers
10-12 strawberries
« Last Edit: 09/05/2013 17:31:48 by shytiger »

Offline doctorf4

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 13/01/2014 20:48:24 »
Ice works for me but it's messy.  I use a towel but the towel gets wet quickly..

Any great idea on making it less messy?

Denavir works for me too.

There is a Blistix version of Abreva on sale in the UK and Australia.  Has anyone tried that ointment?

Offline mermaidoutofwater

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 22/01/2014 01:28:15 »
I have been getting pesky cold sores since my Grammy kissed me with an active sore before she knew they were contagious.  I was 10, I'm now 42.  I decided to try ice this time on the premise that viruses thrive in heat.  I woke up and saw a reddish bump starting on my upper lip Monday morning, UGH.  The tingling must have come while I was sleeping.  I immediately got a cube of ice and held it directly on the area for 15-20 minutes.  Then I took 1500mg of lysine(to balance out the arginine which contributes to the sore), 2 - 600mg garlic(natural antibiotic/antiviral and immunity booster), 1 Vitamin B complex with 100mg of each major B vitamin(helps immunity and healing), 1 500mg turmeric capsule(natural anti-inflammatory) and 1000mg Vitamin C.  I drank a ton of water, repeated the ice ritual every half hour for 2 hours and then repeated the above mentioned supplements every 4-6 hours.  By 6pm the initial swelling had almost completely disappeared.  No blister ever developed.  I woke up today and to my utter delight found only a slight pinkish dot on my lip.  It never throbbed on tingled.  I pricked a Vitamin E capsule and dabbed it on the area before work and continued to do so throughout the day to moisten my lips instead of chapstick.  Tonight there is only a slightly raised area.  No sore, no blister, no pain, no scab. 

I am beyond thrilled.  I know they are common but anything on a person's face is unsettling.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Offline Kaylabeazo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 04/04/2014 18:56:49 »
Hey my name is Kayla and I'm an 18 year old girl who's been getting cold sores since about 5th grade.
I read some of the notes and noticed that a lot of people suffer from horrific cold sores like I do, and thought it might be worth it to share how I treat mine.
So right away when I feel or see a cold sore coming I get a wash cloth and run part of it under warm water, then put antibacterial soap on it (antibacterial soap is VERY important!) Then I GENTLY massage the infected area until all the fluid has been cleared out. Next I ice it for about 15-20 minutes (depending on the size) and after that I put peppermint oil on it! I repeat these steps as much as I think is necessary and it works like a charm! I hope it helps!

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 05/04/2014 21:09:00 »
... then put antibacterial soap on it (antibacterial soap is VERY important!)
It may help prevent a bacterial infection, but a cold sore is caused by a viral infection, which won't notice antibacterials...

Just sayin'  ???
« Last Edit: 05/04/2014 21:10:45 by dlorde »

Offline jazzpollard

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 01/10/2014 09:01:14 »
You'll find tons of information out there on how to get rid of cold sores faster. A cold sore (or fever blister) is caused by the Herpes Simplex virus and will not go away until your body fights the virus.

Supplements like idol lips can help shorten the duration and over-the-counter newbielink:http://www.thebeautyinsiders.com/lip-plumpers [nonactive] can also be helpful.

Other than that, it mainly has to run it's course - and don't touch it because your hand can spread the virus. You especially don't want a herpes infection in your eye(s).

Offline Kristen McBride

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 02/12/2014 07:22:59 »
HemoForm Serum is the best medication for a cold sore. I have used for years and it works like gang busters.

Offline davinNoMo

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 04/12/2014 17:30:11 »
I've been using this new product that has been around for a little while for my annoying cold sores.. its called Intercept. It works really well, and gets rid of my cold sores pretty fast too. I gave it to my buddy to use and he bought it, so I thought id recommend it here.. newbielink:http://www.interceptcoldsore.com [nonactive] if you are curious!

Offline davinNoMo

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 22/01/2015 16:26:56 »
Icing on a cold sore might seem like a good way to fix a cold sore, however it's been shown that excessive cold can agitate and irritate skin. Cold skin has a chance of splitting and becoming an opening for future infections. There is a good blog I found that has some other at-home remedies that are less evasive. Check it out here if you are interested. newbielink:http://www.interceptcoldsore.com/cold-sore-treatment-remedy/ [nonactive]

Cheers! - David 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #124 on: 22/01/2015 16:26:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums