The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?  (Read 1244936 times)

Offline john2223

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?
« Reply #125 on: 18/02/2015 07:46:53 »
There is some evidence that compounds present in garlic can help to reduce the severity of a cold sore. A number of pharmaceutical companies have been pursuing this line for a while to identify the agent and market it in a form that doesn't make you stink or repel vampires.

I think using ice can help reduce blisters or cold sores, but I don't know about preventing them from returning. Applying ice can help reduce the size and irritation of blisters or cold sore though.
« Last Edit: 07/09/2016 05:12:17 by Colin2B »

Offline mommieofjcb

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 31/03/2015 20:29:59 »
Hi everyone. I have just spent the last hr reading everyones post about these vicious monstets that are name cold sores. My daughter is getting over the worse outbreak I have ever seen in my life. She ran a fever for 5 days and. had several sores on her lips, gums and tongue. Due to her pain inside her mouth she drooled all day long. Along with her drooling she was sneezing. However, I now have 1 in the corner of my mouth. I have never had 1 there. I am afraid that her drooling on  and constant sneezing in my face I am in some deep trouble. I am going to try this ice cube method.Im hoping that it works given the gact it is just the little tiny bubbles right now and Easter is 5 days away. I do not want to isolate myself from the family dinner because this monster has appeared.

Also, there is a book out 'get rid of cold sores' this author claims that you can get rid of cold sores not only in 8-48hrs but permanately. Has anyone heard of her technique? Have anyone actually tried it?

Offline timmyj

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 04/04/2015 07:31:10 »
There is no cure for cold sores, yet.  You can try vitamin C, lysin to improve your immunity which can reduce outbreak and use Abreva or Denavir or one of the anti-viral pill to control the outbreak.

People have recommended lysin but don't take too much or you might get gall stones.

Use sun screen and don't get exposed to the sun too much.

Offline gatorrage

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 12/10/2015 14:05:47 »
I too, have the curse of the cold sore. I called in sick this morning because this one is going to be a doozy!
I have been taking a daily dose of 6000 mg of L-lysine for over a year now and have had 2 cold sores that "tingled" but never became more than a bump for a day. I eat dark chocolate, peanuts, cashews and potato chips daily. I also exercise daily for an hour to 2 hours. I am in above average physical shape for a man of 50.
My flare up now is due to a combination of events, the perfect storm so to speak: a very stressful week at work and I started a new weightlifting regimen that includes creatine and whey protein shakes. The whey shake has 480 mg of arginine in it.
So today I am doing the ice trick every hour, upping my lysine to counteract the arginine, peroxide and Abreva.

Offline swampdeer

• First timers
  • All things cosmological, skeptical and geeky
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 11/11/2015 10:13:21 »
I know it sounds a bit 'new-age' but there is some evidence that propolis has an antiviral effect. 

You can get a cold sore cream in New Zealand called Herstat which is mostly vaseline and propolis.  It's been clinically tested and seems to cut the recovery time down by a couple of days compared with other cold sore creams (according to the double blind placebo controlled trials. You can buy it in the UK, but only online.

Offline hondengi23

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 07/12/2015 08:48:55 »
I'm afraid there is no failsafe solution but I've found a lot of the advice on this boards useful.

Offline DryIce

• First timers
    • View Profile
Have you tried Dry Ice for curing cold sores?
« Reply #131 on: 27/03/2016 05:54:26 »
Dry Ice Will Kill the Herpes Virus Dead  I had a nasty large cold sore on my lip. It left and then would stay like a red dot on my lip. Then it would come back. When it came back i was going to purchase a cryo gen nitrogen gun but it was 800 bucks. Then i saw a video on removing freckles with dry ice. Dry Ice is so cold it kills layers and layers of skin Dry ice removes sun spots freckels skin cancer skin tags and warts being the hardest. 3-5 seconds for freckles. More for the rest. I observed my lip was trickled from top to mid lip. I froze off all parts of the inside and above areas. Painless. 30 days later the area was bright white and then the rough skin fell off to reveal a refreshing new look for my face. If the red dot comes back i will freeze it again. Dry Ice is about 10 bucks and various grocery stores carry it. Since there are other uses i suggest maybe removing any unwanted parts of your skin discoloration including under ur eyes and behind your ears for a nice new start. My only other success story has been oil of oregano. It comes in pill oil and spray. U should buy it in the spray to spray your throat to prevent having to do the back of your throat with the ice. Oil of Oregano is the most powerful solution to yeast infections in the mouth . i drink like a party penguin so occasionally i get oral thrush which is also part of the mouth area and caused by a horde of yeast found in beer. Thank u. Picking up dry ice in the store u need a cooler and 2 beach towels bust the ice on the ground and use a towel to grab the small pieces for use. Do not touch dry ice. Use a flatter piece if possible as u need the entire area. Everyone is different and my experience is that 10 seconds is more than enough. Thank u.
« Last Edit: 27/03/2016 06:06:36 by DryIce »

Offline LoraWilliams

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 21/04/2016 02:11:14 »
Urrggh! I really hate it having cold sores especially during winter season. Well, I guess I need to try those ice cubes and might work on me :D Thank you so much!

Online puppypower

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 22/04/2016 12:05:43 »
In my experience, the fastest way to get rid of cold sores is to totally ignore them and not try to doctor them. When I was a teen, and I would feel a cold sore coming on, I would try to doctor it with home remedies. I was embarrassed. I was constantly looking in the mirror, to see how bad it was getting; self consciousness. It seemed to get worse the more I touched it and fixated on it.

One year, when I started to get a cold sore, I decided to gave up trying to doctor and cure it. I also decided, I do not care if I look like a leper for a week or two and my friends poked fun at me. By totally ignoring it, it never developed, and went away in only a few days.

From then on, that has been my strategy. When I feel a cold sore coming, which is not as often, but usually in the winter, I will not allow myself to even look at it in the mirror, nor will I touch it. I try to pretend it is not there. Within a day or two it stops growing and starts to reverse.

Cold sores come from the herpes simplex virus. The virus appears to be induced by stress; nerves. When you doctor and cater to the cold sore, you are unconsciously adding to the stress, helping the virus. The ignoring is about lowering the stress. One preventive measure is taking a stress formula multivitamin; vitamins C and B complex. This lowers the impact of winter stress on the skin and nerves.
« Last Edit: 22/04/2016 12:09:03 by puppypower »

Offline Anna Boris

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 20/05/2016 10:25:56 »
Stumper makes a very good point about diet. In the event that you are feeling burdened or have the least bit of the tingling frosty sore aura ABSOLUTELY claim off all chocolate especially dark chocolate until you are well out of fever blister harms way. Peanut butter, nuts and red grapes flame the fires of any cold sore too. If you are a chocolates fiend limit your intake even on your good weeks to lessen the likelihood of a sore beginning. These kinds of foods are high in arginine and fever montage absolutely love it. Inexpensive and important is the ingestion of daily lysine to counterbalance the arginine.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #134 on: 20/05/2016 10:25:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums