The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?  (Read 1247287 times)

Offline Ryno1

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?
« Reply #25 on: 28/05/2006 01:33:47 »
I was searching for a forum that talks about cold sores and found this one. I'm looking for a product that works for the cold sore. My friend told me about a product for cold sores called Sore Cold....has anyone used this product he swears by it and says it's the only product he has tried that really works. If anyone else has used it please respond and if you want to read about there product you can go to newbielink:http://www.sorecold.com [nonactive]   ...

[

Offline dallengirl89

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13/06/2006 02:51:44 »
well I suffer from cold sores every year. I get them 2 to 3 times a year. The only time when I get cold sores is when I get colds. Mines last about 4 weeks and they dont have liquid in them. they also don't form a yellow crust. mine form a black scab and it takes a while for the scab to come  off. I hate getting break outs I feel so sad I always get depressed becauseI feel like that all peole are staring at whwn they look at me. but if you do suffer from cold sores you should wash it with salt water and try to put whole milk on it I never tried it but I heard that it maybe works. hey try it you never know

Offline dallengirl89

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13/06/2006 03:02:23 »
I've tried zovirax before, my doctor prescribed it for me but it did'nt really work for me. I also tried abreva and that did'nt work for me either. abreva cost $25 and you get a tiny tube smaller than my pinky. try putting an ice cube on  it'll probaly work better.

Offline sparkly

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18/06/2006 05:58:57 »
Once you get this damn virus you get it for life! Like many others I contracted this as a little girl, probably given by a smoochy aunt with a cold sore who didn't think

I used to swear by Zovirax, but I seem to have become immune to it - it just stopped working.

I took a punt on a natural product from NZ that is just a god send, and for me, it has meant  a permanent end to cold sores. I have not had one since I first used this amazing product VIRASOOTHE - and given that I got them on average once a month for over 30 years, I have every reason to be impressed. Cure? No, I don't think so, and they don't claim that to be the case on their site, but it certainly can put them into permanent remission (9 years cold sore free and counting) I don't think I will get another now - what a relief!

URL is essential-nz.com

Offline dietdoctor

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23/06/2006 11:43:30 »
b]Channel 5 television is making a new series of their very sucsessful program Diet Doctors.
newbielink:http://www.five.tv/programmes/dietdoctor/ [nonactive]

We are looking for people who suffer with server cold sores[/b] who need help.  The diet doctors team will help to combat the problem through diet and nutrition advice.
If you are interested in being part of the series and taking part in this fantastic oportunity then please contact us as soon as possible at.

dietdoctors@tigeraspect.co.uk

Offline mrg

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28/06/2006 17:09:04 »
Hi all

I have had cold sores for over 30 years. They used to be infrequent, say 1/2 a year, but now I have had 5 outbreaks in the past 6/7 months : (

Zovirax used to work a treat if you caught the bugger in time. What I am finding now is that I no longer get that tell tale tingle. So by the time I realise I have one developing Zovirax isn't a great deal of help (although it does cut the healing time down by a day or two). In fact I think I may have become immune to it.

The tea bag idea doesn't work for me. Nor does the ice cube.

Being a man one big draw back of cold sores is that I can't shave when I have one. They are usually on the edge of my lip so I have to keep my razor clear. So not only do I have a sore on my lip I also look like the wild man of Borneo : (

One day, I'm sure, they will find a cure.

Offline HatredtowardsColdSores

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03/07/2006 06:07:03 »
Wait.. so cold sores.. Everyone has them or what? or exactly how can a person get a cold sore? Can it be a genetic problem?

Offline mrg

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28/06/2006 17:09:04 »
Hi all

I have had cold sores for over 30 years. They used to be infrequent, say 1/2 a year, but now I have had 5 outbreaks in the past 6/7 months : (

Zovirax used to work a treat if you caught the bugger in time. What I am finding now is that I no longer get that tell tale tingle. So by the time I realise I have one developing Zovirax isn't a great deal of help (although it does cut the healing time down by a day or two). In fact I think I may have become immune to it.

The tea bag idea doesn't work for me. Nor does the ice cube.

Being a man one big draw back of cold sores is that I can't shave when I have one. They are usually on the edge of my lip so I have to keep my razor clear. So not only do I have a sore on my lip I also look like the wild man of Borneo : (

One day, I'm sure, they will find a cure.

Offline HatredtowardsColdSores

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03/07/2006 06:07:03 »
Wait.. so cold sores.. Everyone has them or what? or exactly how can a person get a cold sore? Can it be a genetic problem?

Offline Ouch my eye

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05/07/2006 00:21:04 »
My cold sore's laugh at ice cubes and drink zovorax for fun. But i have found this to work, Isopropanol or Isopropyl-alcohol.

it is a cleaning agent used in electronics. You can buy it in swabs from electronic stores. When the tingling starts just rip open a packet and rub the infected area. The tingling will continue for a while but just ignore it and you should be good to go. Re-aply if you feel the need.

this stuff is toxic so do not ingest, apart from that it is safe as houses. If it can kill a rhino it can kill a pansy little virus.

Works a treat.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #35 on: 05/07/2006 00:29:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by HatredtowardsColdSores

Its a lip sore that appears every now and again and you catch it from an already infected person, and once you've got it , you've got it for life.

Its a form of herpes ,So dont go around kissing people with a big spot on their lip.

Michael
« Last Edit: 05/07/2006 00:32:17 by ukmicky »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #36 on: 05/07/2006 00:43:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ouch my eye

My cold sore's laugh at ice cubes and drink zovorax for fun. But i have found this to work, Isopropanol or Isopropyl-alcohol.

it is a cleaning agent used in electronics. You can buy it in swabs from electronic stores. When the tingling starts just rip open a packet and rub the infected area. The tingling will continue for a while but just ignore it and you should be good to go. Re-aply if you feel the need.

this stuff is toxic so do not ingest, apart from that it is safe as houses. If it can kill a rhino it can kill a pansy little virus.

Works a treat.

symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning occur through inhalation and include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma.

In rats it causes deformalities but long term exposure hasnt been tested on humans.

BE CAREFUL

Michael
« Last Edit: 05/07/2006 00:51:22 by ukmicky »

Offline Ouch my eye

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06/07/2006 00:30:13 »
Iso Propanol is also used in the manufacture of hash oil and Cocaine, So long term human exposure has been tested, Although that may explain the side effects of dizziness, headache, munchies etc.

Iso is a form of alcohol, that if ingested will cause the same effects as any other type of alcohol poisinig. dizziness, vomiting much the same as any good night out at the pub will do. Just as alcohol found in drinks at the pub, if taken in sufficent quantities will cause coma and death. So dont drink it, just rub the swab on the cold sore. And your deformity will disappear.

Do not put in your eye, it hurts.

Offline dallengirl89

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22/07/2006 04:37:52 »
I hate gettin cold sores every year i get them when I get colds and thats usally in the winter. zovirax don't reallly works for if some one finds a cure for them please let me know. the most imbarassing part about having cold sores is the scabs there so imbarrassing I hate it. im so desperate for a cure and im onky 14 years oold please someone help me  PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Offline Mark One

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23/07/2006 17:09:08 »
Hi dallengirl89,

I'm afraid there is no failsafe solution but I've found a lot of the advice on this boards useful.

I've been plagued by the dreaded cold sore on and off since I was about 8 years old. I'm now 40. I still feel the urge to hide indoors or wear a paper bag over my head when it happens and I really do sympathise with you.

All I can really do is offer are some thoughts after 30 odd years of living with it.

From memory, cold sores were a lot more severe for me when I was your age. As the years have gone by the attacks seem to occur less frequently and are often pretty small. But they do happen unpredictably and always seem to come at the worst times - on vacation, a few days before a first date etc.

Zovirax doesn't work very well for me either but I'm pretty sure that following the directions on the pack to the letter (incl washing hands before & after application etc) does have some beneficial effect.

I think the main thing to remember is that, although you feel like a leapor & it seems to you that the only thing people can see is that damn scab on your face it really isn't as bad as that in real life.

As you grow up you will find that people around you ignore it, don't notice it or suffer themselves so they know exactly how you feel.

It really is such a common thing and kids your age that get them too probably prefer to pretend they don't and their insecurity about it may make them react immaturely. But as you, and they, grow up it becomes less and less of a big deal. Among my friends, at least half of them suffer from time to time and the other half don't give it a second thought when I appear with one. The same is true of girlfriends.

There's nothing wrong or bad about getting these things and anybody with half a mind knows that it's not likely to have been anything to do with sexual activity. Remember, if someone is lucky enough not to get cold sores, they are certain to know someone who they respect, love or care about that does.

So although right now you may feel uncomfortable, embarrassed or ashamed about a cold sore, learning to live with it is just part of growing up. You just have to get on with it.

Once life has thrown some of it's serious curve balls at you, you will see the occassional cold sore for what it is - a pesky annoying little bug, but not that big a deal.

I hope this helps a bit - you'll be fine!

Mark

Offline Ora

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01/08/2006 04:05:03 »
I've had cold sores all my life 8-12 times a year. Acyclovir tablets work for me, but not the oitment. Couple years ago on a forum I found a statement, that low carb diet really makes you clear of that. It seems that herpes likes carbs, especially grains. I do remember before outbreaks I always craived carbs and indulged. Since then I started avoiding grains, and it seems to help. I did get a cold sore once, but I was having lots of grains couple days before, so I know the cause. In addition, it helped me to loose weight. I wish I new it 30 years ago.

Offline BillJx

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07/08/2006 04:06:59 »
Ice is often recommended, but I have my own way of applying cold.  Keep a couple of soda pop cans, filled about 1/3 with water, in the freezer.  At the first unmistakable tingle of a cold sore, hold the ice-cold can against your lip for about 10 minutes.  Gently - it will tend to freeze to the lip at first, but if you are touching just a tiny spot it will thaw in a minute or so.  Keep the area as cold as you can short of frostbite.

The frozen soda can feels colder than an ice cube, maybe because the aluminum  transfers heat so well. And you don't have water dripping all over you.

Two or three applications throughout the day will usually stop it in its tracks.  My experience is that, if the cold sore has started to become visible by the time I treat it, it still takes a week or so to run its course, but doesn't get any bigger.

On a cautious note, don't pick the virus up on the can and transfer it to another part of your lip!  Maybe that's not possible but why take chances?

BTW, if you put the can back in the freezer with an ice/water mixture, it will burst.  Wash it off and wash the ice out first.

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #42 on: 09/08/2006 09:16:53 »
I have only had 2 cold sores that I can think of. None in the past 10 years anyways. The one I remember was when I was young and it was bad. I think I must've picked at it because its spread all around the bottom of my nose and was agony.

Very bad.

Steven

Offline megaomega

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19/08/2006 19:31:51 »
There has been a cure found for this problem.

The study was first conducted by German doctors and duplicated by two Iranian female doctors who administered the cure on 60 patients and got the same results as the German scientists.

I am not going to get into the details of the articles, because they are over my head and besides, references to the articles can be found on the internet.

Anyway, I would like to share the results of the cure on myself since they have turned out to be EXACTLY what both German and Iranian doctors had described them to be.

The cure is called "Zinc Sulfate Topical Cream."

Please search the web for more information as I have forgotten the web sites where I found the information, but I would like to share with all of you what you should do.

Regardless of whether you have cold sores or not, twice daily rub the cream around your lips (massage the cream into the skin surrounding your lips with a cotton swab).

What will happen is that the Herpes Simplex-1 virus that causes cold sores resides in an area behind your ears, but every once in a while, when the conditions are right, it would like to migrate to the area around your lips and multiply or mutate (not sure if this is the correct term); this is when we get the sores.

However, the German and Iranian doctors have found that if you continue using the cream for at least 9 months (this peiod varies from individual to individual) each time the virus migrates to the area surrounding your lips, they get massacred by the chemical agents in the cream, and thus as they return back to their hiding place behind our ears there will be fewer and fewer of them and so over time the sores will diminish in size, duration, and strength, and if you use the cream long enough the virus can actually be WIPED OUT of your body.

I have been using the cream for about 7.5 months (although, there was one month when I was so happy that I was not getting them that I foolishly stopped rubbing the cream). But I tell you, first of all, you must rub the cream on your lips whether you ahve the sores or not. But when you do get them, cover the itching or tingling area with plenty of the cream and be patient and watch how the cream miraculously stops the virus from causing a blister.

Remember, increase the amount of the cream on the effected area and let it set on your skin.  The itching and burning will be bothering you, but cover it with lots of cream and let it to do its job.

The results for me have been that cold sores either never break the surface and create nothing more than a light brownish discoloration before disappearing, or if they develop, they are so small that they are extremely difficult to see.

I have an extremely busy schedule, and one time when I forgot to cover the affected area with lots of cream AT THE TINGLING STAGE, the sore developed to a bigger size, although, I caught up with it a little late and did not let it to grow larger like than it used to.

But both the German and the Iranian doctors have reported a significant decrease in the intensity and frequency of the outbreaks in their patients. In the case of the German study, the study makes the claim that if the cream is used for long enough, it will lead to complete cleaning of the virus from the body.

One person on the web, I remember, had written that after having used the cream for 2 years, the outbreaks had beceome so small he could feel the tingling but could only see the discoloration (never a full outbreak) with a magnifying glass.

I believe the german study was conducted in 1999, and it was duplicated by the Iranians some time in 2002 or 2003.

Good Luck to all of you.

another_someone

« Reply #44 on: 19/08/2006 22:28:58 »
Zinc sulphate can alleviate the symptoms, but does not affect a cure.  There are also other treatments for the symptoms, but none of them will kill the underlying virus.

http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Supp/Zinc.htm
quote:

Zinc is an essential mineral that is a component of more than 300 enzymes needed to repair wounds, maintain fertility in adults and growth in children, synthesize protein, help cells reproduce, preserve vision, boost immunity, and protect against free radicals, among other functions.
In double-blind trials, zinc lozenges have reduced the duration of colds in adults,1 2 3 but have been ineffective in children.4 The ability of zinc to shorten colds may be due to a direct, localized anti-viral action in the throat. For the alleviation of cold symptoms, lozenges providing 13–25 mg of zinc, in the form of zinc gluconate, zinc gluconate-glycine, or zinc acetate, are used, typically every two hours while awake, but only for several days. The best effect is obtained when lozenges are used at the first sign of a cold.
Lozenges containing zinc gluconate, zinc gluconate-glycine, or zinc acetate have been effective, whereas most other forms of zinc and lozenges flavored with citric acid,5 tartaric acid, sorbitol, or mannitol, have been ineffective.6 Trials using forms other than zinc gluconate, zinc gluconate-glycine, or zinc acetate have failed, as have trials that use insufficient amounts of zinc.7 Therefore, until more is known, people should only use zinc gluconate, zinc gluconate-glycine, or zinc acetate.
Zinc reduces the body’s ability to utilize the essential mineral copper. (For healthy people, this interference is circumvented by supplementing with copper, along with zinc.) The ability to interfere with copper makes zinc an important therapeutic tool for people with Wilson’s disease—a genetic condition that causes copper overload.
Zinc supplementation in children in developing countries is associated with improvements in stunted growth, increased weight gain in underweight children, and substantial reductions in the rates of diarrhea and pneumonia, the two leading causes of death in these settings.8 9 10 Whether such supplementation would help people in better nourished populations remains unclear.
A small, preliminary trial has found zinc sulfate to be effective for contact dermatitis (a skin rash caused by contact with an allergen or irritant).11 Participants with active skin rashes took approximately 23 mg of zinc (in the form of zinc sulfate) three times daily, for one month. 73% of those taking the zinc sulfate had complete resolution of their skin rashes, while the remaining participants had a 50–75% improvement. Further trials are needed to confirm these preliminary findings, however.

http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Concern/Cold_Sores.htm
quote:

What are the symptoms of cold sores?

Cold sores may appear with colds, fevers, exposure to excessive sunlight, or menstrual periods, as well as during periods of stress or illness. The sores usually disappear within two weeks. Initially, there may be tingling or prickling at the site of the cold sores even before they are visible (called the prodrome); afterward, the blisters often weep a clear fluid and form a scab. If the infection is transmitted to the eyes, it may lead to blindness.

Medical treatments

The over the counter topical agents docosanol (Abreva®) and allantoin (Herpecin-L®), as well as camphor and phenol combinations (Campho-Phenique®), help relieve pain and might promote healing of cold sores. Analgesics, such as aspirin (Bayer®, Ecotrin®, Bufferin®), ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®), and acetaminophen (Tylenol®), might provide some pain relief.
Antiviral prescription medications such as topical acyclovir (Zovirax®), topical penciclovir (Denavir®), or oral acyclovir (Zovirax®) might reduce the duration of the sores.

Dietary changes that may be helpful

The herpes simplex virus has a high requirement for the amino acid, arginine. On the other hand, the amino acid, lysine, inhibits viral replication.1 Therefore, a diet that is low in arginine and high in lysine may help prevent or treat herpes outbreaks. Several studies have shown that increasing lysine intake can reduce the recurrence rate of cold sores.2 Although people with herpes simplex reportedly consume about the same amount of arginine and lysine in their diet as do people without cold sores,3 it is conceivable that adjusting the intake of these amino acids may be beneficial. For that reason, many doctors advise people with cold sores to avoid foods with high arginine-to-lysine ratios, such as nuts, peanuts, and chocolate. Nonfat yogurt and other nonfat dairy can be a healthful way to increase lysine intake.

Nutritional supplements that may be helpful

The amino acid, lysine, has been reported to reduce the recurrence rate of herpes simplex infections in both preliminary4 5 and double-blind trials.6 7 The amount used in these studies was usually 1 to 3 grams per day, although some people received as little as 312 mg per day. In one double-blind trial, lysine supplementation (1,200 mg per day) failed to prevent recurrences better than placebo.8 However, the results of that study may have been skewed by a large number of dropouts in the placebo group who fared poorly but were not included in the analysis.
When lysine has been used for acute outbreaks, the results have been mixed. In a preliminary study, 390 mg of lysine taken at the first sign of a herpes outbreak resulted in rapid resolution of the cold sores in all cases.9 However, in a double-blind study, supplementing with 1 gram of lysine per day for five days did not increase the healing rate of the cold sores.10
Vitamin C has been shown to inactivate herpes viruses in the test tube.11 In one study, people with herpes infections received either a placebo or 200 mg of vitamin C plus 200 mg of flavonoids, each taken three to five times per day. Compared with the placebo, vitamin C and flavonoids reduced the duration of symptoms by 57%.12
Zinc preparations have been shown to inhibit the replication of herpes simplex in the test tube.13 In one study, people with recurrent herpes simplex infections applied a zinc sulfate solution daily to the sores. After healing occurred, the frequency of applications was reduced to once a week for a month, then to twice a month. During an observation period of 16 to 23 months, none of these people experienced a recurrence of their cold sores.14
Zinc oxide, the only commercially available form of zinc for topical application, is probably ineffective as a treatment for herpes simplex.15 Other forms of topical zinc can be obtained by prescription, through a compounding pharmacist. However, because an excessive concentration of zinc may cause skin irritation, topical zinc should be used only with the supervision of a doctor knowledgeable in its use.
In a preliminary trial, a piece of cotton saturated with vitamin E oil was applied to newly erupted cold sores and held in place for 15 minutes. The first application was performed in the dentist’s office. Participants were instructed to repeat the procedure every three hours for the rest of that day, and then three times daily for two more days. In nearly all cases, pain disappeared in less than eight hours. Application of vitamin E oil appeared to accelerate healing of the cold sores.16 Similar results were reported in another study.17
Application of an ointment containing propolis, the resin collected by bees from trees, has been shown to relieve genital herpes more effectively than topical acyclovir.18 It is likely that this treatment might also benefit people with cold sores, although this has not been tested. Propolis ointment should be applied four times per day.
Boric acid has antiviral activity. In a double-blind trial, topical application of an ointment containing boric acid (in the form of sodium borate) shortened the duration of cold sores by about one-third.19 However, concerns about potential toxicity have led some doctors to avoid the use of boric acid for this purpose.
A preliminary study found that people with recurrent cold sores have lower iron stores than healthy people.20 This may mean that correcting an iron deficiency might help prevent herpes outbreaks, but more research is necessary. Most people should not take iron supplements unless they have an iron deficiency, confirmed by a blood test.
Are there any side effects or interactions?
Refer to the individual supplement for information about any side effects or interactions.

Herbs that may be helpful

Lemon balm has antiviral properties. A cream containing an extract of lemon balm has been shown in double-blind trials to speed the healing of cold sores.21 In one double-blind trial, topical application of a 1% 70:1 extract of lemon-balm leaf cream, four times daily for five days, led to significantly fewer symptoms and fewer blisters than experienced by those using a placebo cream.22 In most studies, the lemon-balm cream was applied two to four times per day for five to ten days.
The proanthocyanidins in witch hazel have been shown to exert significant antiviral activity against herpes simplex 1 in the test tube.23 In a double-blind trial, people with acute cold sore outbreaks applied a topical cream containing 2% witch hazel bark extract or placebo six times a day for three to eight days.24 By the end of the eighth day, those using the witch-hazel cream had a pronounced and statistically significant reduction in the size and spread of the inflammation when compared to the placebo group.
Licorice in the form of a cream or gel may be applied directly to herpes sores three to four times per day. Licorice extracts containing glycyrrhizin or glycyrrhetinic acid should be used, as these are the constituents in licorice most likely to provide activity against the herpes simplex virus. There are no controlled trials demonstrating the effectiveness of this treatment, but a cream containing a synthetic version of glycyrrhetinic acid (carbenoxolone) was reported to speed healing time and reduce pain in people with herpes simplex.25
In traditional herbal medicine, tinctures of various herbs, including chaparral, St. John’s wort, goldenseal, myrrh, and echinacea, have been applied topically to herpes outbreaks in order to promote healing.
An extract from elderberry leaves, combined with St. John’s wort and soapwort (Saponaria officinalis), has been found to inhibit the herpes simplex virus in the test tube.26 However, the effect of these herbs on cold sores has not been studied.
Refer to the individual herb for information about any side effects or interactions.

http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Supp/Lysine.htm
quote:

What is it?

Lysine is an essential amino acid needed for growth and to help maintain nitrogen balance in the body. (Essential amino acids cannot be made in the body and must be supplied by the diet or supplements.)
Lysine appears to help the body absorb and conserve calcium.1 Lysine has many functions in the body because it is incorporated into many proteins, which are used by the body for a variety of purposes. Lysine interferes with replication of herpes viruses and is therefore often prescribed by doctors to people with cold sores or genital herpes. A review of the research trials investigating the effects of lysine on people with cold sores shows that most, though not all, trials support the use of lysine.2

Where is it found?

Brewer’s yeast, legumes, dairy, fish, and meat all contain significant amounts of lysine.
Lysine has been used in connection with the following conditions :

• Cold sores (recurrence prevention)

• Genital Herpes

• Shingles

Who is likely to be deficient?

Most people, including vegans (vegetarians who also avoid dairy and eggs), consume adequate amounts of lysine. However, vegans whose diets contain large amounts of grains and only minimal amounts of beans could become deficient in lysine. Athletes involved in frequent vigorous exercise have increased need for essential amino acids, although most diets meet these increased needs. The essential amino acid requirements of burn patients may exceed the amount of lysine in the diet.

How much is usually taken?

Most people do not require lysine supplementation. Doctors often suggest that people with recurrent herpes simplex infections take 1,000–3,000 mg of lysine per day.

In animals, high amounts of lysine have been linked to increased risk of gallstones3 and elevated cholesterol.4 At supplemental amounts, no consistent problems have been reported in humans, though abdominal cramps and transient diarrhea have occasionally been reported at very high (15–40 grams per day) intakes.5
Lysine supplementation increases the absorption of calcium and may reduce its excretion.6 As a result, some researchers believe that lysine may eventually be shown to have a role in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.7
Lysine works with other essential amino acids to maintain growth, lean body mass, and the body’s store of nitrogen.
At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions with lysine.

As for where the Herpes Simplex virus resides:

http://www.dermnetnz.org/viral/herpes-simplex.html
quote:

Antiviral drugs will stop the herpes simplex virus multiplying once it reaches the skin or mucous membranes but cannot eradicate the virus from its resting stage within the nerve cells. They can therefore shorten and prevent attacks but a single course cannot prevent future attacks. Repeated courses may be prescribed or the medication may be taken continuously to prevent frequent attacks.

George

Offline krebscycle

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 20/08/2006 04:55:44 »
Has anyone here ever noticed that their cold sores stopped while dating a certain person?  I started getting cold sores when I was about 18, I'd get 2-3 a year that last 2 weeks each time.  Then I met my girlfriend.  I got one about 3 months into our dating.  She didn't care because she said she thinks she's immune based on the fact that she's had several boyfriendswith cold sores and never has had one.  I never saw her with one either.  It's been 3 years now and haven't had a cold sore yet.  

I believe it may have something to do with the fact that I perform certain acts with her that may put whatever keeps her immune in contact with my mouth area. [:p]

IS that possible or just a coincidence?  Who cares really because it's fun either way and I haven't had cold sores so why analyze it?  :D

Offline crE

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17/07/2007 21:08:24 »
I've had cold sores for years.

It's hard to find treatment that works.

Does anyone have any relevant links to treatment I could try?

I did find a certain product quite impressive. I still get the odd one  ( newbielink:http://www.greendayreviews.com [nonactive]) - click on health reviews then medical) - but not half as much as I used to! I need something to rid them completely.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18/07/2007 20:47:48 »
According to this page
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=194
something like 20% of the people I know should get cold sores.
I don't remember them doing so.
If you get cold sores, don't forget that most of us probably don't notice them, even if we do then they are far too common to be embarrassing.
« Last Edit: 18/07/2007 20:52:14 by Bored chemist »

Offline toryt

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 25/07/2007 17:59:22 »
I get cold sores about once a month and the best thing I have ever tried is a zinc paste. It takes about a day before it goes away after that, but it seems to pretty much just melt it away. The only problem with this is going out in public with a big path of white paste on your lip. I have found that the best thing to treat a cold sore is to dry it out as much as possible. Take pain killers if it hurts, but dont put any kind of chapstick on it. It will go away so much faster that way.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #49 on: 25/07/2007 18:48:11 »
At the moment I have a bad cold and a few days ago also had the signs of some cold sores coming on my lips.

I always use Hydrogen Peroxide, dip a cotton bud in the neat peroxide and apply to area, best to do it before it blisters. It will sting a bit and go white but after a few applications the sore does not appear again.

2 days ago I had cold sore symptoms, not one but 3 and now nothing visible.

Try it, cheaper and more effective than most treatments.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 25/07/2007 18:48:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length