The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?  (Read 1244824 times)

Offline LSU

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?
« Reply #50 on: 06/08/2007 14:41:01 »
I am here to testify that ICE is the magic trick to cold sores.  My 12-yr old daughter has consistently had cole sores most of her life.  We's used Zovirax, Abreva, peroxide, Dr. Tichenors, apple cider vinegar, nail polish remover...you name it..we've used it.  She just had an awful one that covered most of her top lip and extended onto her face...it lasted 2 weeks and ended week before last.  Then she got another one last week...we had heard about the ice trick and she started applying pressure w/an ice cube several times a day and IT NEVER BROKE THE SKIN...couldn't even see it past the first tiny bubble.  AND..she wasn't even applying medication in-between ice or at night.  It's gone!!!  IT WORKS!!!  Thanks to all who suggested it!  Finally a CURE...and it's free!  :)

Offline chemtester

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 26/08/2007 06:45:44 »
I had used bloodroot and zinc chloride forgot the name of the product, but it worked. Hurt like heck tho.

Offline Gurugirl

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 26/08/2007 14:16:20 »
This will sound funy, but our family secret (lol) is to wet your finger and put it behind your ear and get the oils there and apply to the beginning cold sore.  When I first heard my husband say this, I just laughed but I swear, it works!  Maybe God gave us natural cures on our own body?  It's worth a try right?  It has worked for me.  I also heard that cold sores can be from lack of iron.

Offline angeltoes

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 28/08/2007 00:01:30 »
My remedy that really worked is

virasoothe (its made in new zealand) google it
benzyol peroxide w/ tea tree oil (ddf brand)
and l-lysine pills

my cold sore never got big and is almost gone after 2 days.

Offline sparkly

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 03/09/2007 21:23:59 »
Virasoothe is just amazing!  Nothing actually cures, but after a lifetime of cold sores almost back to back, I have now been free of them for years.  I don't even have to think about them now.  From the first time I used Virasoothe, they just stopped. Wonderful stuff. 

Offline limon247

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 29/09/2007 18:34:27 »
[^]I've suffered with these monstrous things, along with my 18 year old son.  He gets them much worse than I do, with them on his lip, below the nose and up inside the nose.  I just woke up with one of these things after a week of horrendous stress (my son got into a car accident and totalled his car).  I'm sitting here, trying the ice cube trick and truly hope it works!  I must say, though, pure tea tree oil usually does the trick for me.  Its better than Abreva, Denavir or any other cold sore preparation.  I'll let you know how the ice works!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Offline limon247

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 19/10/2007 17:54:01 »
I'm back to report that the ice cube trick worked!!!!  I couldn't believe it, but it did.  I usually get a HUGE MONSTROUS cold sore on my lower lip.  I tried the ice cube trick every 3 hours for one day and when I woke up the next morning, it was 90% gone!  No oozing, itching, pain, swelling ...NOTHING!  The whole site was 100% cleared up in 2 days, not the usual week and a half.  THANK YOU ...THANK YOU ...THANK YOU to whoever posted this "cure".  I must say, I thought it was goofy at first but figured, what the heck.  I've tried everything else...why not one more!  And yes...like stated in another post...IT'S FREE!!!!  I suggest that anyone else who has the ability to spend the time sitting with an ice cube for 20 minutes evey 3 or 4 hours.... DO IT!  You will not be disappointed!

Offline rocko the hamster

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 24/10/2007 16:14:56 »
I am currently in hell with my cold sores. I got 2 of them three months ago, and since then, they have just recurred and recurred and recurred. They havent gone away in THREE MONTHS, and now I have four of them. Two on the corners of my mouth, and two on my bottom lip, extending towards the skin on my chin. They are horrible, huge and painful.

Ive gone to the doctors three times about it. The first time she told me they were going away and to use some blistex on them. The second time I saw another doctor and she took heaps of blood tests which found that I was very low in iron, anaemic almost. But she said that had nothing to do with the cold sores.

Ive used up 8 tubes of zovirax, tried tea tree oil, l-lysine tablets, ice, vitamin B tablets, and blistex. I even went on herpes medication that my doc scammed for me, which did nothing. Nothing works. I hate going out in public and its been three months now since Ive felt normal. I would appreciate if anyone who has experienced cold sores that dont go away or have any advice to speak up, because I have compeletely used up all my options now.

Time for the paper bag I guess!

Offline baby2005xxx

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 26/11/2007 19:10:36 »
iv tried everything, the aciclovir tablets, warm tea bags on my lips every hour and ice cubes very hour, ivtried soothelip and zovriax but nothing has helped and im getting desperate.

im 16 and had a cold sore every month for the past 5 months, its ridiculas i should be able to go out with my friends and enjoy myself instead whenever iv had a cold sore iv stayed at home and felt sorry for myself! my cold sores started out quite small however everytime i have gotten them they have gotten bigger, the last time had them i have one which covered almost all of my top lip and half of my bottom lip!

its just so unfair and embarrasing!

Offline blondie_482

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 04/12/2007 04:50:28 »
I have been suffering with cold sores for almost 10 years now.  I have used Valtrex, lysine, abreva, rubbing alcohol, the ice cube trick and the hot tea bag...........NOTHING WORKS FOR ME!!! I just bought some Virasoothe (I've heard wonders about it) so I am keeping my fingers crossed.  I won't even go outside and become a hermit pretty much the enitre time I have one.  It's so frustrating and it's pretty sad when all I think about is when my next outbreak is going to occur. Very unfair....why do they have to look so nasty????????

Offline Vcoolspice

• Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 07/01/2008 19:21:57 »
I've had cold sores forever, they used to be so bad I couldn't speak. I tried all the over-the-counter & prescription meds money can buy but nothing helped. Then I began taking Lysiene and it made a drastic difference. The bottle says only to take for 30 days, but even now I still take it cause if I stop, right away a cold sore will pop up. :D  So take Lysiene everyone suffering the wrath of cold sores!

Offline Stumper

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 05/03/2008 19:36:28 »
I have just tumbled upon this discussion.
Cold sores have been the bane of my life since the age of 7-8. For the last 5 years my outbreaks have got worse, and worse. I am sitting here now with two sores, one on either side of my mouth, just under my lips. they stretch down almost as far as my chin, and almost meet in the middle. They are 6 days old. They hurt like hell, and look like hell spawn. The previous two weeks before these I had a similar sized one on my left cheek. Before that, on my right cheek, before that, in my nose, ears, and around my lips.
I have tried just about everything in the past. All the anti-virals, tea tree oil, lavendar oil, lemon oil, garlic, L-Lysine, herbal cures, blue-green algae, topical alcohol, etc, etc;
None of it works.
Today I sat down with a doctor who specializes in immunology, and has a good deal of knowledge about the herpes virus in all its guises. He has put together a very sensible sounding plan of action for me to follow. Taking into account the fact that my outbreaks have gone up and down in severity at different time of my life, he has tried to identify what may make me more susceptible. He has also identified certain things that for me are almost definite 'triggers'.
In short, here is the plan:

My diet must change so that I avoid (as much as possible) nuts, hard candy, chocolate, grapefruit, and bitter oranges. The citric fruits are a contact problem.
I must use a suncream of at least spf 20 at all times outside, and stronger in bright sun.
I have a sleep programme to follow which means bed by 11pm, and proper rest. I wont go into details, but its the kind of sleep advice thats commonly in health articles.
Prolonged Muscular stress should be avoided. This is not the same as normal,healthy muscular use. He means bad posture, and muscular strain caused by repetitive work or habits. Apparently this has put a strain on my nervous system by creating times of chronic aches and pains that literally wear down the bodies ability to fight illness.
He has also recommended that I have aciclovir tablets to hand, and start taking 400mg five times a day whenever I notice the signs of a new outbreak.

All of this was worked out after 5 interviews with him, and a lot of questions and hard work. I even have a 'map' of my history, where all the possible factors are mapped against outbreaks over the years, and it does seem as though certain factors play a large part in my problem.
I have no idea wether any of this helps anyone here, I am only just beginning this plan myself, so I don't even know if it works yet.
The reason I am posting this here is because the plan he has given me makes sense. By mapping all the things I can remember about my past, and matching it to outbreaks I can see what he is getting at.

I'll re-post in a few weeks and let you know how I am getting on. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Offline rich50

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 12/03/2008 00:00:23 »
If you read all the forums you will often see ICE suggested. The difference between this 'solution' and all the others is that every reference to ice is in praise, while all others received mixed reviews. Some fail at all types of medication, some respond brilliantly to a particular one, some use a cocktail ... but ice remains a common 'YES'. When I tried it, I wrapped up a 1 inch square cube in tissue so that water didn't run down my arm and placed it on the outbreak till until the ice was gone in about 10-15 minutes. Then did it again with a second cube, and then again with a third. 30-45 minutes with an ice cube firmly pressed on. No dabbing, no trips to the mirror ... clamped on continuously and firmly (not fiercly). Finally a trip to the mirror - gone, gone blessed gone. Slightly tender (I just froze my lip), but no swelling, no blister, hardly noticable aside from the slight redening from the freeze attack. One thing I noticed is that ice is not just ice ! At home an ice cube from my mild domestic fridge is like glass, while at work the big fridge is more powerful and the ice is heavily frosty white ... ice works period, but heavy frosty ice is heaven. Don't be worried you'll do damage freezing your lip, I have absolutely no side effects from the freeze attack, and after 45 minutes of freeze, it only takes 5-10 untill all is as it was, except the virus has given up its attack! If the virus has made a sneak attack like after sun burn rather than stress, and the flare up happens while you are asleep (so it's well under way when you spot it), the ice will work fine but the skin may already be damaged. That's where the other tip of 'nail varnish remover' is useful. It is strong and any remaining virus activity will also be alienated from the area, but it's great in very rapidly drying out the area, almost like a sealant. Unless your cold sore is huge it should help a lot to close down the exposed area and prevent the nasty scab that is embarrising as well as uncomfortable. Bottom line is that ice and nail varnish remover are a cheap fast 'repair' not cure, that everyone that I've read about says ... 'it works'  ;)

Offline BYGEORGE

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 16/04/2008 14:36:26 »
Amazing reading all those anecdotes. I tried H-Balm (Forces of Nature) and then ChroRaphor ('once you have used it you will not get a reoccurance. Buy 1 get 1 free' !)I thought they were working, but it co-incided with a change of environment where I ate fewer nuts. Since resuming high nut consumption, cold-sore have come back.

I have sent off for Virasoothe as people here say it works. I will also trial Bio Stick (30 days trial, money back guarantee) and post the results.

One hint for those in the UK, a generic version of Zorvorax is available in my local Poundland. It is called Pinewood Coldsore Cream, is identical, and costs, yes, just 1.

Offline Brandy08

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 24/06/2008 01:58:43 »
Ice cubes really do work, especially when used the second you feel any tingling at all.  You can often prevent the sore from developing if you start the ice early enough.  I hold an ice cube on the area until it melts, wait a few minutes and then hold a hot tea bag on the area until it cools.  I follow up with a dab of tea tree oil and then put some Abreva on it. I repeat all of that two or three times a day.  Also, the second I feel one coming on, I start taking l-lysine(about 200 mg every 4 hours).

I guess all of that is overkill, but I just had a cold sore that was gone in two days using that treatment! 

Also, very important, keep drinking water!!! It will take longer to heal if you are not hydrated.
« Last Edit: 24/06/2008 02:01:19 by Brandy08 »

Offline semperveritas

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 04/07/2008 05:25:04 »
It looks like there could really be a cure for cold sores on the way:

newbielink:http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1819739,00.html?imw=Y [nonactive]

I have put up with them now for 40 years or more and have a few scars to prove it.

But the real worry was a recent bout when they appeared around my left eye for the first time. The doctor was quite concerned and stated that if severe they could send you blind. Coincidently(?) this occurred after I had been doing some nude sun bathing to try and get a tan for a forthcoming holiday. Luckily they disappeared after some treatment and did not affect the cornea and I have not had any since around the eye.

If the above cure is successful I will be the first in line as I would say that cold sores have been the curse of my life. 

Offline TonyCap

• Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying
    • View Profile
    • Health Ninjas
« Reply #66 on: 15/07/2008 00:49:26 »
I am hearing a lot of good things about the ice method.  Next time, I get sore, I will try it and let you all know.

Thanks.

Offline katieh

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 13/08/2008 05:12:26 »
i heard that if your partner has a cold sore and gives you oral sex but you have the cold sore virus too. you cant get gential herpes from the oral sex. is this true?

Offline orange_county

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 18/08/2008 02:20:08 »
Ice helps, I wouldn't say it's the end all-be all. Really if you want to be safe and have a job or school, Valtrex 1000g a day we'll save you a lot of trouble. Also exercise in the morning. You'll feel better and it's good for your body. Also take L-lysine.

If you are broke try herplex, L-lysine & exercise.
newbielink:http://theprivatepharmacy.com/products/cold_sore_treatments/herplex.htm [nonactive]
I heard it's pretty decent.

//English isn't my first language

Offline orange_county

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 18/08/2008 02:22:10 »
Also let's nip the disease in the bud and stop paying these pharmaceticals zillions. Donate to herpes research.

Offline daniel0986

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 13/10/2008 15:18:54 »
as much as i wish it weren't so we will probably never see a cure for cold sores. It's just not in the pharmaceutical companies' best interests to make one available to the public, not when they can charge us for their treatments for the entirety of our lives. It must be a real cash cow for them and i'm sure it makes a mint for them. If they did release a cure they would lose an unthinkable amount of money over time, for all we know there could already be a cure, patented and locked away so no-one can sell it no the open market. I'm still hopeful though that some independent  genetic scientists sneak one past them. Fingers crossed   

Offline beckyboo2

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 17/10/2008 08:15:37 »
I'd say that Ice helps reduce the length of time of my outbreaks. I have found that there are really only two things that prevent cold sores for me. I usually don't use valtrex because I don't like to put drugs in my body but that stuff really works for me.
The other thing that I like is vygone. This one is cool because you can use it on a ton of cold sores.

Offline chocaholic

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21/10/2008 17:51:48 »
No cold sores for more than a day in 2 years now.  I'd had cold sores for 40+ years usually every few months. They're even present in my toddler pictures.  Nasal ones were the worst for appearance as you can imagine.  Once when I had braces placed they made a continuous ring around my mouth.

Stumper makes a very good point about diet.  If you are feeling stressed or have the least bit of a tingling cold sore aura ABSOLUTELY swear off all chocolate especially dark chocolate until you are well out of cold sore harms way.  Peanut butter, nuts and red grapes flame the fires of a cold sore too.  If you are a dark chocolate fiend  limit your intake even on your good weeks to lessen the likelihood of a sore beginning.  These foods are high in arginine and cold sores absolutely love it.  Cheap and important is the ingestion of daily lysine to counterbalance the arginine. I also carry them with me. Salmon is a good substitute for lysine. You can't avoid arginine all together nor should you want to your whole life as it is good for your heart but it is the lysine:arginine ratio that keeps cold sores at bay.  So..if you know you overindulged with nuts or chocolate take an EXTRA lysine and save yourself a lot of grief.
ICE is indeed great, thanks for the tip from multiple contributors.
If you use Valtrex be sure it is prescribed as 2 grams the 1st dose and 2 grams repeated in 12 hours then finish. You only need 4 pills for an episode but must be pulsed in this manner.  This is the recommended dosing for cold sores but some doctors believe it can be dosed the same as for shingles; not so.  If the dose is stretched out over a few days or a week it does not work very well if at all and you've wasted money on a lot more than necessary pills.  Ask for the 1 gram pills, the highest dose it comes in, as higher milligram pills are cheaper than many lower milligram pills.  Valtrex is for last ditch efforts.
Really if you take lysine daily year round with extra for dietary faux pas, monitor your chocolate and nut intake, and if anemic - take iron to lower your stress level, you shouldn't need Valtrex except when you slip up as we all do.  But again, the ice has really saved me even in that case when recently I foolishly had no lysine (or salmon) available.
Good luck to all.

Offline devajimmy147

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 27/10/2008 21:35:54 »
To get a cold sore is the worst thing in the world.  now that sounds so over the top but when you get one, it really is the worst thing in the world.  I constantly bite my lips and lick over the top of them in fear of a small bump..........and 95% of the time, there is nothing there.  But on that odd occasion, usually when something I am really looking forward to is on the agenda, there is that horrible, awful, sinking feeling and the thought of 'here we go again' and then my mind races ahead for the next ten days to check the calendar in my head for any social appointments.  If there are social appointments, they will be promptly cancelled with the excuse of 'no money' or 'have got the flu'.... letting people down is the least of my worries because for the next ten days, my confidence is zero and my contact with the outside world is kept to an absolute minimum.  When that contact comes along, the wipe of the nose or the turn of the head are the things that kid you into thinking the other person cannot see what's growing on your mouth, but they obviously can because if it was you looking at you, then you would definitely see the thing and you would also think it was disgusting and vile.  So how can you expect anyone else not to notice it or think those things when you think them yourself?  So, what about being proactive? OK, so it's straight to the chemist to buy some compeed colsore patches cos they are the only thing that can prevent a minging scab from forming and don't bother with zovirax or anything like that cos it's a waste of money and time.  the colsore patches cover the colsore up so therefore prevents spreading and like i said prevents a scab from performing.  you'll still get the bump and the 'elephant man' complex but it will normally be gone in ten days flat....  can i ask a question?  why couldn't colsores be on your back or legs or something that can be hidden easily? they really couldn't be in a worse place in terms of confidence zapping inconvenience.... oh, if you wanna take some tabs to help prevent them, get 500mg L-lysine tabs, they are an amino acid and are pretty good but don't think they will guarantee not getting them but i am told they do help so will try anything myself!!  no one will ever understand the psychological effects that a colsore has unless they suffer themselves and there is no point trying to explain either. just get your colsore patch on and phone in sick for ten days and bolt the door then everything will be fine.......if only life was that simple.  If i was a millionaire i would seriously do that because i would rather not see anyone at all then let them see me with a colsore.  Maybe there should be a club where people go when they get colsores, where they go and live for about ten days and can bolt the door behind them so no-one can come in and see them.  there could be supplies and colsore treatments available along with food and beer to make them feel better....then when healed, they can be let back into the outside world where they can be themselves again.  I don't know about anyone else bu i really cannot be myself when i have got a colsore, I am a completely different person.  I am normally friendly, confident and talkative and very sociable but give me a colsore and I turn into a hermit.  Anyway, please God may I not have any colsores or any colsores forming is my prayer every nite and so it will continue for ever more.

Offline Hiles

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 27/11/2008 21:03:37 »

* Preventing a cold sore - MIRACLE!! *

I have been suffering from cold sores for 18 years. I thought there was no possible way of controlling them, but I have now found a way!!

I had just suffered from one a week earlier and the following week I could feel another brewing. I was so so upset as it was days before my 21st birthday.

So I began researching ways of preventin and here is how I managed to prevent my cold sore from forming EVEN WHEN I could feel the lump under the skin:

1) L Lysine tablets (3000mg)

As soon as you feel a tingle or see a lump forming take L Lysine tablets. It is an amino acid that supresses cold sores. During the outbreak take around 3000mg (I took 2 tablets, 3 times a day). Once the cold sore has cleared, take the normal amount 1000mg. It should prevent future outbreaks.

2) Zovirax

Apply Zovirax (acyclovir) as you would do normally to the cold sore - every 4 hours

3) Ice cubes

Hold an ice cube against the coldsore or tingle for around 20mins every 3hours. Do this until the lump has gone. If the cold sore does break out, try still using the ice as it will speed up the healing time.

By doing these 3 things together, I did not have an outbreak! Literally a miracle!!! Years of suffering cured by pretty much natural ingredients.

* I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TRYING THIS! *

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #74 on: 27/11/2008 21:03:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums