The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?  (Read 1244820 times)

Offline johnnyfr

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Driving Schools Southport
Have you tried Ice for curing cold sores?
« Reply #75 on: 06/12/2008 09:11:56 »
Virasoothe is great - I used to use Zovirax but I've changed now. I really wish I'd never got my first one! I'm still on the look out for the miracle cure.

Offline blackcat

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 17/01/2009 23:39:39 »
herpes is a virus. just like cold and flu it will mutate and there will never be a cure. All we are doing is discussing the coping strategies.
To that end, i say thanks for all your ideas.
The antigen for the virus is passed on by the mother through the womb in child bearing. it's kind of a given that if your mother suffers you will too. because otherwise that slobbering aunt would have the potential to kill us all by virus.
I too have that 'house arrest' feeling whenever i'm 'with scab'. blow all those that don't know what it's like; they just got other nasties to worry about.

Offline Karissa

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 23/02/2009 10:00:35 »
My mom has cold sores, so I can attest to from the mother to the child...mine aren't nearly as bad as hers, though - she gets them when she's sick or stressed, all under her nose and on her lips.  Mine are only when I have been stressed (and usually not until the stress is over) and only 1-2 at a time.  I've taken to drying them out with hydrogen peroxide, it seems to help as long as I get to them in time.  I've thought about buying Abreva, but I just can't bring myself to spend $20 on what is essentially a tube of chapstick.

I woke up feeling the swelling on my lip this morning - I'd only gone to sleep 4-5 hours prior; they sure work fast!  Anyway, I heard about the ice treatment just this past week (I think I jinxed myself, 'cuz I said I was going to try it on the next one), and sat here looking for back-up evidence that it helps while holding ice to my lip.  I think it might feel better, but that could be because all feeling hasn't returned just yet.  So, I guess I'll see over the next day or so how it works out...I'm glad to hear it's helped for so many others though, it gives me hope that this outbreak will be short-lived!

Offline scarletrose44

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 01/04/2009 09:31:16 »
Like all of you - I HATE COLD SORES!!!  [:(!]  I have been getting them sporadically for the past 12 years. Every time I get them I want to avoid seeing people, but up until now have not let them rule my life. I hadn't had one for at least a year... Then three days ago I got rather sunburned [V] alas the devil's spawn appeared - the biggest one I have ever had. [:-'(]

I know that it has been established that sunburn is a major cause, but to be honest I didn't really know it was directly linked until now. :-\ I will definitely be more careful in future - now that I have identified that as my major devilspawn cause.

This morning, depressed  [:-'(] and fed up, I went searching for a home remedy on the net, only to find programs asking for lots of money so you could be told secrets about home remedies  :-\ - I am always very skeptical of things like that... Thankfully I came across this site  [:X]

Unfortunately I missed the blister phase to apply ice because I used Zovirax yesterday thinking it would work.. Last night I continued to put in on - every 15 mins (actually it was probably more often since I hate having them and really wanted to avoid it). But to no avail - so now today, I am in the yucky yellowy looking phase.

Thanks to all the previous posts I quickly applied a block of ice for 20mins, dabbed the area with Isocol, and rubbed in some more Zovirax, and then went out and bought the Lysine tablets - or 'LYP-SINE' as Blackmores call it.

So now I am sitting here with this horribly big and painful thing on my bottom lip.  [xx(] I have taken 4 x 500mg of LYP-SINE, held another 2 very large blocks of ice on the spawn from hell, reapplied some Isocol with a cotton tip and rubbed Zovirax in to finish.
(I've also asked my beau to bring home some tea tree oil, hoping it will be better than the Isocol  ???
PHEW, I really hope I wake up tomorrow with my lip back  :-\

Wish me luck!  8)
« Last Edit: 01/04/2009 09:35:46 by scarletrose44 »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 01/04/2009 18:38:46 »
Fortunately, I've never had to worry about that end![:0]

And, I don't think they're called "cold sores" when they're down there anyway.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

From someone calling themselves t'weener? (that would be funny in a Yorkshire accent)  ;D

Offline Sparky1970

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 06/04/2009 17:04:08 »
The best cold sore cure, bar none, is an electronic device for sale in the UK from Boots. It costs about 35 but is worth every penny if you are a sufferer. :)

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
« Reply #81 on: 07/04/2009 12:06:48 »
lost of dollars we have to spend> ::)

Offline Sparky1970

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 14/04/2009 15:53:46 »

Okay, its expensive but it lasts forever (batteries excluded) and boosts your local immune system, thereby making recurrance less likely. Actually it costs the same as 5-6 tubes of cream which isn't bad if you are a regular sufferer. It doesnt in itself do anything to the virus, just helps your own cells to fight it off. It seems on average to cure cold sores in approx half the time of Zovirax according to the data and reviews I've read.

Offline tess3757

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 28/04/2009 20:55:20 »
This is my first post, I too am a sufferer. Mine are brought on by sunlight so I use sun block which I find works but they still come through. Ive tried everthing the last treatment was Vectavir ( pencyclovir ) but Im going to try Lysine which has sun block in it. Has anyone used Lysine

Tess

Offline vdice1

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 30/05/2009 23:55:34 »
I have suffered with cold sores for most of my adult life. There are 2 stages of a cold sore. The first stage is when you get that tingling feeling that says a cold sore is on it's way. This is where most prescribed drugs attempt to treat it. For the drug to work, you must take it when you have the tingling feeling and most of us are unaware of the tingling feeling. The second stage is when it erupts. At this point, forget about. It is now a healing process, no different than healing any other minor skin wound. The key to making a cold sore heal fast is to dry it out and let the dry, flaky skin take over. This may sound strange, but Ralph Lauren original "Polo Cologne" works great. Just a tiny drop of it on a Q tip, then on the sore before you go to bed. The next best thing is the "Styptic Pencil" Styptic pencils are sold everywhere and are usually used to stop the bleeding of shaving cuts. They have an incredible drying power. After you have taken your morning shower, prior to work or school your cold sore is probably blazing. Moisten the Styptic Pencil under warm water and roll it over the cold sore. There will be some serious burning sensations. There will also be some dry white residue after about 5 minutes. Dab this away with a paper towel.

Offline Gitch

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 14/09/2009 02:57:57 »
I have been getting cold sores for 13 yrs now and have tried every rememdy know to man, the best one i have found is white tooth paste and L-Lysine, as soon as i start felling a cold sore coming on i whack down 2 L-Lysine tablets staright away and 2 a few hours later i also put a blob of toothpaste where it is affected, i know having toothpaste on your lips isnt the greatest sight but its damn better than a big blister. I use warm water and a soft cloth to wipe the tooth paste off after around an hour and replace it with some more, the toothpaste also takes all of the pain and itchiness out and gives a cool feeling.

Cold sore using this method if im too late to catch it before it manifests will only last 2-3 days before scabbing over.

And the absolute best advice i can give to anyone getting cold sores is to take 1 L-Lysine tablet every day in the morning, doing this i never get cold sores (its only when i get lazy and dont take one for a month or so that i usually end up getting one)

P.S I have tied the ice and zovirax method but found this one better

Offline Gitch

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 14/09/2009 09:47:33 »
I should also add that using this method when i do get one i have 2 lysine in the morning and 2 in the afternoon until it is completely gone then i go back to 1 a day

Offline Jessica94402

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 06/10/2009 07:19:19 »
I found this awesome blog last year by somebody called Lab Rat v-Ki-ras2 that has a bizarre treatment that WORKS in one day. The blog was called How to kill a cold sore in one day. I have never in my 33 years found a way to get rid of my cold sore until I found this blog. I am almost in tears because Im so grateful. I found it on WordPress but it has now moved.

I wanted to pass this along to other fellow sufferers because it has worked wonders for me.

newbielink:http://cureacoldsore.blogspot.com/ [nonactive]

Offline Jessica94402

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 06/10/2009 07:37:20 »
Oopsy, I found it now. The blog is at two sites now. "How to cure a cold sore in one day" and "How to kill a cold sore in one day". I just realized its the exact same blog by Lab Rat v-Ki-ras2. Here are both links:

newbielink:http://cureacoldsore.blogspot.com/ [nonactive]

newbielink:http://killacoldsore.blogspot.com/ [nonactive]

Offline Katrina221

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 05/12/2009 12:26:57 »
ZOVIRAX and other topical medications JUST SWELLS UP THE SORES MORE AND MAKES IT SPREAD. I have tried it repeatedly. I have had recurrent cold sores since I was about 6. Damn the adult or child who gave it to me since I am a hypochondriac with germs and very careful. In any case, I get them at the slightest drop of the hat, not just from colds, but also from stress and especially from any aggravation to the sensitive skin around my mouth. In fact, I have a bad one right now. I have tried everything repeatedly over the years - toothpaste, salt, lancing, Zovirax, orange juice, and they all did not work, but instead inflamed the sores and made them spread. The only thing that works to make it go down is pressing a HOT TEA BAG every few hours and LYSINE pills taken together. The tea bags have anti-viral properties due to tannins activated when hot, and stop the spread, stop the tingling and pain and dry up existing ones in 1-3 days. When it is big and I am really desperate, I lance it with a sterilized needle, and soak up liquid with paper towel for 5 mins. Then apply hot tea bag, and soak up liquid for another 10 mins. Make sure you cannot see any fluid at all, and it will scab in 5-10 mins. I advise this as a last measure because it can spread and make it worse, so be very careful that no fluid is left, and that is scabs up.

For avoiding sore, try to eat lysine rich foods if you are going to eat arginine rich foods, such as my weakness chocolate, wheat and caffeine (strong tea). I am bad with taking pills because I fear side effects, but I think Lysine is safe, so taking it on a regular basis is a good idea also.

Good luck. I am sorry that we all have to deal with this stupid virus, but at least you're not alone, and there are some measures.

Offline GetTestedFirst

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 23/12/2009 04:04:33 »
I'd like to add something here. There has been for years now alot of false info being passed around that every single person that suffers from cold sores has HSV-1/2. I too have gotten cold sores from time to time. I have been tested for HSV-1/2 via anti body blood work and cotton swab method several times over the course of years, everytime negative.... so far(crosses fingers). I also have never gotten a clear answer as to WHY I get them, just the usual "it's herpes" from the doc, then a confused look when the test results come back. I have been told that low calcium WILL cause them, low vitamin C might cause them, and a few other reasons that never pointed to a real answer. I also don't get sores like other people. When I have an outbreak, my tongue will swell and blister, I get blisters down my throat, in my mouth, and sometimes on my lips and it's not a fun experience.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there are other reasons besides HSV-1/2 that cause sores and if you suffer from cold sores(or similar), before you start looking for over the counter remedies, and here-say, GET TESTED. If you come up positive, at least you will know 100% and you can go from there.

Offline bettyboop

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 15/02/2010 18:56:30 »
Hi there

I know this is an old thread but I came onto today to search for a remedy to stop my cold sore from errupting!

I noticed this thread and decided to try the ice theory.
I was on day 2 of the tingle and sore lip sensation where the
cold sore has actually not formed. But there was a dark red circle on my lip where the cold sore would eventually pop up.

So anyhow I  put an ice cube directly onto the area while holding a cloth so there would be less mess.i held it there for 5 minutes until it had melted and then I put on another cube for a further five minutes just to give it the best chance!

I went down to the mirror then to apply a compeed patch(patch you buy in the chemist to keep the cold sore covered and help healing)however when I looked at my lip the red area was gone and my lip was not  swollen!

I put a patch on anyway just in case and I will apply the ice again in a few hours and see what happens..

just wanted people to know that this really does work!

Thanks to the person who made the original post!  ;D

Offline javelinpc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 19/06/2010 10:58:36 »
I'm not sure is this is current but here goes
My daughter and I both suffer with cold sores and like several people here, we too have
never found anything over the counter or from the doctor that works. She came
across a website that sells a home made remedy.  She ordered a pot of this
mixture and it healed her cold sore within about 4 days.
She was delighted to find something that actually works for a change, especially
as she was to be a bridesmaid at a wedding the following week.  She gave me some
to try and it virtually stopped mine in its tracks when I started to develop
one.  I have told several of my friends about it and they are all giving it a
try.  Personally, we think its an excellent product and its all natural
ingredients. 

The website address if anyone is interested is carmans.org.uk

I apologise for the delay in writing but this is all a bit new to me (forums)
Geoffrey

Offline Andie152204

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 27/07/2010 06:30:41 »
Hiya, this is my 1st posting on the site.
I have suffered terribly from cold sores my entire life (as I have with tonsillitis as well.) My G.P and pharmacy always tell me whenever I go for my quarterly collection of Zovirax to get in there as soon as I feel 'the tingle'. It infuriates me that after reading so many posts so far on the topic on this site from others that start with creams, lotions, potions and other forms of help whenever they feel the tingle that I must be THE ONLY person who never gets a tingle. I just wake up in the mornings and WHAM there it is! I got a cold sore 3 days ago and woke up this morning with another one on the same side of my nose a bit further down, so now I look eve more beautiful!!
I have remembered a time when I was younger and was going through a sufferable time with cold sores I begged and pleaded with my then G.P and he actually cured a site that was guaranteed I would get a cold sore every time. It was right on the end of my nose, he heated up a sterile needle with and stuck it right in the centre of the site, I have never had a cold sore there since- that was 13 years ago. Why can't they do that all over your face?!
Anyway, enough of the ramblings and good luck finding more possible cures and fast fixes for these horrific ailments.

Offline mattvs

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 13/09/2010 18:06:44 »
I've been suffering with cold sores since I was 8 or 9 years old and am now 23. I get them in the early fall, through the winter and very early in the spring. I have about 3-4 breakouts per year and my summers are breakout free for the most part. Like essentially everyone here, I always felt they were embarrassing, painful, annoying, and had awful timing. I tried all the OTC meds; they would work once then never again. I was prescribed denavir, which worked well, but still had a 7-10-day healing period. In desperation, I recently started trying ice. The genesis of the idea (besides the high tier 3 price tag on denavir) was thinking along the lines of reducing the swelling and cold temperature's effect on bacteria. Like most other posts, the ice technique has been amazing! I stumbled upon this forum in search of anyone else who experienced the same results.

For me, if the ice is applied at first signs, they never become visible. However, mine have a tendency to pop up overnight. The ice still almost instantaneously reduces the swelling, size and appearance, but a scab still occasionally forms if the cold sore has already risen. The ice trick works well for me because I have a desk job and I can just sit at my computer with an ice cube from my drinking glass applied to the lip. I tend to be self-conscious about the sores, so this works well in that few people notice me doing it, and I can keep the sore on ice practically all day.

Bottom line, ice is the way to go. It's free, it's fast and it's effective. Chalk up another supporter here!
« Last Edit: 13/09/2010 18:09:02 by mattvs »

Offline project1

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 04/10/2010 23:43:44 »
Just found something that works on existing sore. It relieved pain and kept it from getting larger. Product is Salonpas. It is a pain relieving patch made in Japan and can be purchased at oriental grocery. They are cheap only about $2 for 20 patches (I cut one pad into 3 usable strips to use on side of my mouth)...product is labeled for use on sore muscles and joints. Used the patch everynight while I slept and at first I also used ice and of course took Lysine. The patch delivers camphor, menthol and methyl salcylate (up to 8hrs). During the day I used the same old over the counter products because I could not have a strip over my face.

Offline angeltoes

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 03/11/2010 23:34:50 »
Lysine has helped me a great deal taking it everyday plus when I get an outbreak I up my dosage by 25%-30% and I also use a prescription medicine that can be found here: newbielink:http://www.alcortin.com/about.php [nonactive]

it really works wonders and when put on at the first sign it makes it vanish and even if you use it once you have a cold sore out break it helps heal it fast! My boyfriends mom introduced it to me and I am forever grateful.
the active ingredients are: 1% iodoquinol, an anti-infective ingredient, with 2% hydrocortisone acetate
and it has done wonders for me.

Offline Osia

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 05/11/2010 07:44:34 »
Tea tree oil always helps. It is alo effective at many viral infections with their skin manifestations.

Offline sand dunes

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 09/01/2011 06:51:13 »
Hi Everyone

I have been suffering from cold sores for 32 years now, and have come up with a system which will greatly reduce the visibility and healing time of an (already blistered) cold sore.
Please let me know what you all think, or post comments on the blog too.
newbielink:http://8-day-cold-sore-technique.blogspot.com/ [nonactive]

I am finding that there is almost no practical information available for how to deal with a cold sore once it has already blistered.
( almost all coldsore websites simply state something like "...a blister, then scab, will form and last for about 10-12 days..."  :(  )
My hope is that the blog can help in this area.

I'm very happy to have found this forum, as it seems I am not alone in my frustration at the lack of useful/practical information.

I am very interested to hear any feedback, on the blog, material discussed, or any other useful ideas people have.
Thanks all!
B

PS:
while reading this forum, I noticed this other technique 
newbielink:http://killacoldsore.blogspot.com/ [nonactive]
I would be very interested if anyone has tried this. 
I'm also interested in not just the accelerated time frame, but also the visible impact of using this method.

PPS:
I have also just found this blog too!
newbielink:http://bht-coldsores.blogspot.com/ [nonactive]
« Last Edit: 09/01/2011 08:03:59 by sand dunes »

Offline Raymond75

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 06/07/2011 05:47:21 »
Ice rarely helps my cold sores from developing... but I believe it does help the swelling!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #99 on: 06/07/2011 05:47:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums