The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Poll

Should monitor of this forum arbitrarily split threads if there is a digression from the orginal subject. Especially when the context of the new thread is lost, causing confustion.

yes
5 (71.4%)
no
0 (0%)
maybe
0 (0%)
conditional
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: 19/05/2007 21:31:18

Author Topic: Spliting threads and postings  (Read 4000 times)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Spliting threads and postings
« on: 09/05/2007 21:31:18 »
I have noticed in the past few days posts from one thread being split off from its original posting place and put in another thread subject, twice in different discussion categories. I do not know about anyone else but for me this is confusing, detracts seriously from the original postings (the logic behind the sequence in which post appear and the context of the original is completely lost.)

The loss of these thing has really confused me and I have participated in some of these postings.

I have been posting here for a while - long enough to get over 788 posts at 1.828 posts per day, so this new trend is disconcerting for me. I am sure that a new person to the site is going to have one heck of a time picking up what is being discussed, especially without know the original context.

What do the rest of you think - ESPECIALL, the new members who have tried to pick up some of these threads.

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 09/05/2007 22:16:19 »
This has been a growing trend, but started when we started on the new site, and the facility to split threads.

I think it is important to split the threads to allow both the original purpose of the thread to not be swamped by something irrelevant to it, and maybe even to allow the spin off topic its own space to expand.

I was hoping that we would move towards doing this even more aggressively, so that we can keep the point of the original thread more to the fore.

That is my opinion, but because I am a moderator, I will not be voting, but would certainly be interested in other people's opinion.  We are here to serve the membership, and I am sure we are all extremely keen to know what makes the site more usable for the membership.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2007 22:17:56 by another_someone »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2007 23:57:50 »
Damn that means i cant vote either :)

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2007 00:59:25 »
Damn that means i cant vote either :)

looking at the voting so far, we may have to!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2007 01:03:56 »
i think it makes more sense to split it. then the person who asked the question can get a real answer and the people just chit chatting about the topic don't have to stop. i vote for splitting

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 10/05/2007 01:07:09 »
i think it makes more sense to split it. then the person who asked the question can get a real answer and the people just chit chatting about the topic don't have to stop. i vote for splitting

In that case, click on the appropriate button above to register your vote.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2007 01:11:04 »
yes i will as soon as i get back on the computer. my phone lets me do limited things. it's much more convenient, however

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/05/2007 01:42:44 »
I say split it.  Although I do enjoy the chit chat, I do find it frustrating when I'm looking for an answer and have to sift through everything else..

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/05/2007 02:47:23 »
I was the culprit today Jimbob Me is sorry but the topic went off coarse, we both know why.. I was hoping that it would help the young men in their topic. I do know what you mean about losing some meaning.. sorry.. I really did not want to but felt it necessary..

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/05/2007 04:13:03 »
Don't take it personal! I just noticed a lack of continuity on some of the splits - THATS ALL, REALLY!!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10/05/2007 04:22:52 »
Don't take it personal! I just noticed a lack of continuity on some of the splits - THATS ALL, REALLY!!

Oh no worries Not taking it personally just saying I agree with you . I was even thinking of doubling a couple posts in both threads to make better sense, but couldn't decide how to do it!

another_someone

« Reply #11 on: 10/05/2007 04:53:53 »
Oh no worries Not taking it personally just saying I agree with you . I was even thinking of doubling a couple posts in both threads to make better sense, but couldn't decide how to do it!

Don't think you can duplicate a post - you can move a post from one thread to another, but where there is one post, it will never be two.

The only way around it is to create a new post in your name, and quote the original post within it - thus providing a cross link between the threads at the same time.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10/05/2007 05:05:31 »

Don't think you can duplicate a post - you can move a post from one thread to another, but where there is one post, it will never be two.

The only way around it is to create a new post in your name, and quote the original post within it - thus providing a cross link between the threads at the same time.

That makes better sense I could not fiure it! Thanks George!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 10/05/2007 05:05:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums