The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Spinach...and it's amazing disappearance act !!!  (Read 4608 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Spinach...and it's amazing disappearance act !!!
« on: 10/05/2007 16:57:40 »

Dearest Spinach Experts (of which I know many frequent this site !!)

Well, it doesn't disappear completely..(except down my grateful throat)........

..but.....what is it about Spinach that reduces it to about a tenth of it's size when I cook it ?

I just have to know because I really want to know these things that I need knowing !

(frying in olive oil and butter with garlic is the best....forget what it says on the pack about boiling it...FRY it !!!)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2007 20:32:54 »

..but.....what is it about Spinach that reduces it to about a tenth of it's size when I cook it ?

I just have to know because I really want to know these things that I need knowing !

(frying in olive oil and butter with garlic is the best....forget what it says on the pack about boiling it...FRY it !!!)

That is by far the best way to cook it.  I think we'll have some tonight.

But it's not only spinach that reduces so drastically. Collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, etc.

And completely off topic - but is spinach an expensive veggie there?  Here it's about $4.00 for a 5 oz bag.

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 10/05/2007 20:46:24 »
Don't eat the stuff myself - far too green ;)

But, many, if not most, foods shrink when fried (but expand when boiled), and I would imagine it is just the water being boiled off (frying takes the temperature above 100C, while boiling stays below 100C, and generally add more water to the food).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2007 20:56:09 »

But it's not only spinach that reduces so drastically. Collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, etc.

And completely off topic - but is spinach an expensive veggie there?  Here it's about $4.00 for a 5 oz bag.

yes it's expensive here too...about  $100 for a 1oz bag !!

Enjoy your spinach !!..........

....actually, it's no where near that price as I am sure ewe know I was jesting !!!...................poorly !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2007 20:59:44 »
Don't eat the stuff myself - far too green ;)

But, many, if not most, foods shrink when fried (but expand when boiled), and I would imagine it is just the water being boiled off (frying takes the temperature above 100C, while boiling stays below 100C, and generally add more water to the food).

If ewe add some food dye then I am sure it'll be more attractive .

I am not too sure George if boiling it makes it reduce any less in size.

I know there are many others that also do lessen in volume...........but with spinach in particular it is very very dramatic

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/05/2007 23:16:57 »
Neil, another 2 spinach recipes

I make spinach about the way you do (Saute', stir fry, whatever), add walnuts and mix with the Body of Our Lord Pasta.

I also make a spinach salad with mandarin orange wedges, and a dressing of honey, leomn and Dijon mustard.

(I just bought some at the store 1.99 for 10 Oz (280 gm) package

I just noticed your recipe on the back of the package - I am not blowing smoke, Neil - after I cook it, I'll scan the package IT IS YOURS - are you now a gourmet consultant for the spinach industry?????

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/05/2007 00:34:25 »

I make spinach about the way you do (Saute', stir fry, whatever), add walnuts and mix with the Body of Our Lord Pasta.

I also make a spinach salad with mandarin orange wedges, and a dressing of honey, leomn and Dijon mustard.

I just noticed your recipe on the back of the package - I am not blowing smoke, Neil - after I cook it, I'll scan the package IT IS YOURS - are you now a gourmet consultant for the spinach industry?????

OMG JimBob - I'm coming to your town to buy my spinach!!!

yes it's expensive here too...about  $100 for a 1oz bag !!

Enjoy your spinach !!..........

....actually, it's no where near that price as I am sure ewe know I was jesting !!!...................poorly !!

You, jest???  I am shocked!!! [:0]

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/05/2007 00:49:43 »

Try frying a finely chopped onion for a couple of mins before adding the spinach too...!!...and I'm with carloyn.....I'm coming over for some Spinach luff !!...

yes...yes...it is true...I am a consultant to the Spinach Industry !!.....gosh !!...so many strings to my bow !!!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/05/2007 06:26:06 »
I love fresh spinich..It is $1.99 per head, not pound which is approx. 1/2 pounds $3.98 per LB. If I go through the heads I can pick close to a lb head for the 1.99. Most of them they try to weigh in around 1/2 lb.

I have never tried it fried with garlic or onions!. I love it in lasagne and lots of other fresh dishes as well I just cannot stand it slimy out of a can! LOL
« Last Edit: 11/05/2007 06:28:02 by Karen W. »

Offline WylieE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16/05/2007 23:09:16 »
Bleccchhhhh.
Spinach- ewwww. . .
Thank goodness it shrinks when cooked that way there's less to eat.
Actually you are just breaking down the cell walls and structure the same amount of material is there (unfortunately), it just isn't as rigid.  It is possible that it could weigh a bit less if some of the water escapes as steam.
But I won't do this experiment- no spinach in my house.
Colleen

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24/05/2007 07:29:14 »
Frying is NOT the best way to cook it. Dry roast it with a sprinkling of cinnamon; then melt some parmisan, fetta & strong cheddar into it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 24/05/2007 07:29:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums