The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Soaking Black -Eyed-Peas makes you fart less !!..is this true ?  (Read 12858 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Hello Fellow Methane Producers,

Ewe do it, I do it..we all do it !!...even the Queen does !!..(Gawwd Bless your Anal Sphincter Mam)

...I recently saw a cookery program (late last night in fact..presented by Neneh Cherry...anyone remember her ?)....anyway, they were soaking some Black-Eyed-Peas and proclaimed that soaking them helped to make them less ' fart making ' !!..is this true?..if true...why true ?

..as a side note then...what is it about beans and pulses that make us enjoy trombon-arse joy !!

I found this link in wiki by the way... it's good  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence

« Last Edit: 10/05/2007 19:35:51 by neilep »

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I didn't know that's why you soaked them.  I always thought it was to speed up the cooking process or to help soften them up.

I always heard that putting a little baking soda in helped to reduce gassy joy.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
I didn't know that's why you soaked them.  I always thought it was to speed up the cooking process or to help soften them up.

I always heard that putting a little baking soda in helped to reduce gassy joy.

Oh..that wasn't the main reason for soaking them...it was just an added benefit.

I understand that in addition to the reason ewe have said , soaking beans also gets rid of nasty toxins !!

The reduction of Methane-luff is an added bonARSE !!!.........LOL

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
I have heard that too and toxins....not sure if it really slows it down any...

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Flatulence is caused by carbohydrates getting through to your large intestine where they can be broken down anaerobically by bacteria, producing methane. Some foods contain carbohydrates which you cannot absorb (fibre) so this is enevitable. I think you soak black eyed peas in order to make them more digestable, so I would have thought that if you don't the carbohydrate will take so long to hydrate and then be broken down, that it will get to your large intestine anyway and feed the bacteria.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Flatulence is caused by carbohydrates getting through to your large intestine where they can be broken down anaerobically by bacteria, producing methane. Some foods contain carbohydrates which you cannot absorb (fibre) so this is enevitable. I think you soak black eyed peas in order to make them more digestable, so I would have thought that if you don't the carbohydrate will take so long to hydrate and then be broken down, that it will get to your large intestine anyway and feed the bacteria.

Thanks Dave.

Can fibre really not be digested at all ?...what if it's liquidised into a pulp !! ?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
I've found that if you cook baked beans for about 15 mins, then it stops the trumpet-trouser effect. They do go a bit mushy, but i think that it's a smell price to pay!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
"Can fibre really not be digested at all ?...what if it's liquidised into a pulp !! ?"
No, that's pretty much the definition of fibre in this context. It just goes through.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I have always heard to soak the beans and then rinse them and put in fresh water to reduce Flatulence also! My grandma insisted they soak over night and then rinse and cook!She also said it cut down the cooking time also!

Offline vickysuryaputra

• First timers
    • View Profile
soaking leads to germination of the peas, thus converting most of the carbohydrates into protein which does not cause farting

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Soaking Black -Eyed-Peas makes you fart less !!..is this true ?
« Reply #10 on: 10/01/2008 19:46:31 »
"soaking leads to germination of the peas, thus converting most of the carbohydrates into protein which does not cause farting "
Presumably the beans contain a nuclear reactor that concerts carbon, hydrogen or oxygen to the nitrogen needed to make proteins.

On the other hand, the point of those polysaccarides is to store energy for the plant when it grows. The germination process must somehow convert them to a soluble form- the most likely thing is that it hydrolyses them to monosaccarides like glucose. That would reduce the gas production.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Soaking Black -Eyed-Peas makes you fart less !!..is this true ?
« Reply #10 on: 10/01/2008 19:46:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums