The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: ..." and the winner of the most absorbent things is..............."  (Read 13206 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Hi Everybody Peeps,

This is a sponge :

Nice isn't it ?

Sponges are great...they are my all time favorite absorbent type retaining of water thing,

Sponges are so good at what they do that we even make fake ones !..because I don't think that many people know that real sponges are animal things !

But where does a sponge come in the top 5 list of absorbency retention ?

Can you tell me what the most liquid absorbing thing is and how absorbent it is ?

Offline Batroost

• There's no such thing as a dirty atom!
    • View Profile
How about concentrated Sulphuric Acid?

Not only does it love water - but it gets boiling hot in the process! In fact it has such a strong affinity for water that it will strip water molecules out of other molecules such as starches.

Won't take too much though. Once it's diluted enough it stops caring.  [:-'(]

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
P4O10 (phosphoric anhydride) is better.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Got to be your average BRAIN ,think about how much imformation they can absorb and they can do it for over a hundred years.In ten years your sponge will be turning into dust.:)

paul.fr

Got to be your average BRAIN ,think about how much imformation they can absorb and they can do it for over a hundred years.In ten years your sponge will be turning into dust.:)

Perhaps you are both right (micky and neil), afterall the brain is like a sponge....so they say.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
How about concentrated Sulphuric Acid?

Not only does it love water - but it gets boiling hot in the process! In fact it has such a strong affinity for water that it will strip water molecules out of other molecules such as starches.

Won't take too much though. Once it's diluted enough it stops caring.  [:-'(]

WOW !!.THANK YOU BATMAN !!...Sulphuric acid really likes water !!........so, If I was able to enjoy a Sulphuric Acid Cocktail...what could I use to cool it down ?...and don't forget the little umbrella thingy too !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
P4O10 (phosphoric anhydride) is better.

Wooo !!...I don't know what it is...but it has numbers and stuff and this impresses me..THANK YOU Alberto !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

EXCELLENT answer....(of course....it's a slant on what I was asking)........I hope  for one day , that my brain will  actually start to absorb information !!...THANK YOU MICHAEL!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

Perhaps you are both right (micky and neil), afterall the brain is like a sponge....so they say.

I wonder if a dried out brain would actually make a good sponge !!....I'm in noi hurry to empirically find that out !

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In the US they are selling a towel-like material that is supposed to absorb (25x?) as much as a sponge. They have this LOUD salesman talking about it so I sure it out if it comes on one of the programs I am watching. Next time it comes on again I'll write it down and post it.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
In the US they are selling a towel-like material that is supposed to absorb (25x?) as much as a sponge. They have this LOUD salesman talking about it so I sure it out if it comes on one of the programs I am watching. Next time it comes on again I'll write it down and post it.

Thanks Jimmy Boy....I look forward to some loud mouthed hard selling super absorbent selling info !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

I wonder if a dried out brain would actually make a good sponge !!....I'm in noi hurry to empirically find that out !

No worries I'll donate mine.. it dried out years ago !LOL

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
there will be no brain donation!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

Certainly not by me !!...haven't got one to donate !! *smiles*

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
well you could always donate your daughter's... in the name of science of course..... just kidding

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
well you could always donate your daughter's... in the name of science of course..... just kidding

LOL...I know ewe're joking....and me is pleased ewe know I am too !

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
yes but after i said it i thought perhaps a new person would come along and be scared off because i suggested that you see how absorbant your daughter's brain was... lol

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

WHAT??? you don't like me brain Kadie?? LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Certainly not by me !!...haven't got one to donate !! *smiles*

OH now now.. You have quite a witty brain.. LOL i wouldn't have to be so quick to donate mine If I had yours Kind sir! LOL Hee hee! I might even be able to catch on to some of the odd jokes that fly past me head at light speed!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
i have nothing against your brain. i think it's wonderful. i'm just thinking live brain donation is a bad idea

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
H*LL That's the problem, it's not alive >>LOL HEE HEE HEE!

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Yes, there also exists toys (a friend of me bought a little crocodile) made of cellulose, which absorbs a great amount of water becoming much bigger! I don't remember how much, maybe more than 100 times the initial weight.
She put that little crocodile (~10 cm) in the bath tube and after some hours it became half a metre!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
oh yes we sell those at work. they say they get to be six hundred times their original size

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Now the more interesting thing.. What DO you do at work? ;)

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
IIRC human brains are very fatty so I suspect they would make lousy sponges.
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Cockpit/8107/superabsorbe.html
gives lots of stuff about absorbant materials

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length