The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: chewing gum.  (Read 5037 times)

paul.fr

chewing gum.
« on: 10/05/2007 23:37:27 »
why does chewing gum lose it's flavour after a few minutes?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
chewing gum.
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2007 23:58:26 »

I don't know, but my father had a 78 rpm thick vinyl record of the 30's band led by Spike Jones. One of the biggest hits of

"Does the spearmint loose it flavor on the bedpost over nigh?
If you put it on the left side does it end up on the right?"

Can't remember the rest.

So this question has been around for a long time. I hope there is a budding Einstein arond. I have heard this question all my life so PLEASE - help us ALL!

Links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Jones

http://www.geocities.com/Cag03/NovDoSpear.html

Above hot-linked from http://www.enchbyench.com/angie/chewing_gum.htm

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
chewing gum.
« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2007 00:38:37 »
To confuse the issue even more so on this excellent question...

...why does a chewing gum that has lost it's flavour....and then been taken out and left for an hour or two and then re-chewed have a quick blast of the original flavour !!?.....hmmm.....you know......i bet you it's just pyschological !

Surely......it's NOT a loss of flavour but a loss of sugar/sugar substitute that is gone that works in concert with the flavour !!....could this be viable ?

paul.fr

chewing gum.
« Reply #3 on: 11/05/2007 00:47:33 »

...why does a chewing gum that has lost it's flavour....and then been taken out and left for an hour or two and then re-chewed have a quick blast of the original flavour !!?.....hmmm.....you know......i bet you it's just pyschological !

Surely......it's NOT a loss of flavour but a loss of sugar/sugar substitute that is gone that works in concert with the flavour !!....could this be viable ?

that was going to be my next question, freezing also brings the flavour back! strange stuff thiss gum for chewing

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
chewing gum.
« Reply #4 on: 11/05/2007 01:02:07 »
LOL....sometimes I put it in the freezer too...it goes all crunchy then chewy..

Do you also drop it in fizzy drinks with ice ?.....it goes hard and then...if you like to chew ice  with it,.....it goes crunchy and soft and ...oh boy !!!...chewing gum has to go through sooooo much !!!

paul.fr

chewing gum.
« Reply #5 on: 11/05/2007 01:05:08 »
LOL....sometimes I put it in the freezer too...it goes all crunchy then chewy..

Do you also drop it in fizzy drinks with ice ?.....it goes hard and then...if you like to chew ice  with it,.....it goes crunchy and soft and ...oh boy !!!...chewing gum has to go through sooooo much !!!

not with ice, but fizzy drinks yes! i am not as rich as you are, so i can not afford multiple ice making devices  ;)

I found out about freezing gum when i tried to stop smoking before and the gum was getting expensive. i just froze it and never bought another pack!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
chewing gum.
« Reply #6 on: 11/05/2007 04:42:15 »

I don't think it becomes more flavorful again, its just that you had not had the full flavor for awhile, so what little flavor there was left, tastes strong again only because its the strongest of that flavor for the moment.. know what I mean??

The Naked Scientists Forum

chewing gum.
« Reply #6 on: 11/05/2007 04:42:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums