The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: spectacles  (Read 5546 times)

paul.fr

spectacles
« on: 10/05/2007 23:50:52 »
well it's not so much as a scientific theory, more of an observation with a dodgy theory attached.

Spectacles, many people wear them but do you have to?

I have this theory that opticians are all charlatans, who prey on peoples concerns. You go in for you eyes checked and low and behold you have bad eyes! here is your prescription, come back in 6 months.

well, 6 months later you return and oh my god. You need a stronger prescription. the cycle continues until the jam jars are on the end of your nose.

It's all a money making scan i tell y'

How may people have been for eye exams and been told that they are perfectly OK?
« Last Edit: 10/05/2007 23:52:38 by paul.fr »

another_someone

spectacles
« Reply #1 on: 11/05/2007 00:23:15 »
For me, it tends to be the opposite - I tend to go to the optician when I find I am going blind.

I have been prescribed spectacles since I was a young child because of astigmatism in my left eye.  Mostly, I could function without them, and could not be bothered to wear them.  Then, when I started driving, I started getting lots of accidents, mostly from vehicles from the left.  I decided it was time to go back to the opticians to get an uptodate pair of spectacles.

For various reasons, for the last 6 years or so, I had not been back to the optician.  For the last couple of years, I was finding it increasingly difficult to read, and I though I must be developing premature cateracts of something.  Anyway, I went back to the opticians, and was prescribed new glasses, and guess what, I can see again.  OK, maybe not as acutely as 20 years ago, but I can at least read books and the computer screen without getting extremely tired.

My optician does not, and never has, expected 6 monthly visits.  He expects a visit every 2 years.

paul.fr

spectacles
« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2007 00:54:53 »
years back when i used to hussle at pool, i tried playing snooker. I was shockingly bad, as an excuse i said it must be an eye problem.

People believed this and said you need to see an optician, not wanting to be caught out i duely went to the local optician. She said i had an eye problem, can't remember what exactly.

I duely bought the glasses, i was still shocking at snooker and never wore the glasses again.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
spectacles
« Reply #3 on: 11/05/2007 05:06:43 »
I have astigmatism in both eyes.. I have glasses that are currently needing to be upgraded but I am too lazy to go do it . It is just something else wearing out! I only go every couple years also. Especially when I try to read medication bottles and I can't make out the little print.. It could be dangerous to misread those bottles.

another_someone

spectacles
« Reply #4 on: 11/05/2007 12:25:19 »
I duely bought the glasses, i was still shocking at snooker and never wore the glasses again.

LOL - you are not going to blame the optician because you simply don't have a natural aptitude for snooker are you?

paul.fr

spectacles
« Reply #5 on: 11/05/2007 21:51:15 »

LOL - you are not going to blame the optician because you simply don't have a natural aptitude for snooker are you?

I thought you would find that funny, and yes i am. I was sold the glasses, by the optician for the sole purpose of playing snooker. I still could not play, even with the glasses...........i was robbed i tell y'.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
spectacles
« Reply #6 on: 25/05/2007 06:56:27 »
i have not been to the eye doctor for almost seven years but the last time i was told that my eyesight had not declined any further. i'm still blind. i'm just not any more blind than i used to be

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
spectacles
« Reply #7 on: 25/05/2007 15:01:52 »
I hear you can get contacts for astigmatism these days!

The Naked Scientists Forum

spectacles
« Reply #7 on: 25/05/2007 15:01:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums