The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: .....and the winner of ' The Most Complicated Thing In The Universe '...is.....  (Read 4693 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
The Human Brain !

Well, this is what I have heard on a number of occasions.....

Inspired by some ' mentions ' of ' brain 'in another thread I would welcome your take on whether this is true.

After all..it does a lot don't it ?...we can't really figure it out !!...and it's a rather clever piece of cranial stuff !

if the human brain is not the most complicated/sophisticated..then what do YOU think is more complicated/sophisticated ?

Again...not too sure if this is the righte place for this thread.....especially as it may effectuate some non physiology/biological comments

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I think the human brain is the most complicated thing in the universe and I think you stated that perfectly!

Neily,after further view of my post I have decided to remove it from the forum. as Am feeling uncomfortable saying too much of my personal feelings and problems. I am sorry you may wish to remove or edit your comment so it doesn't look silly!
« Last Edit: 12/05/2007 07:20:23 by Karen W. »

another_someone

How do you judge complexity?

There are so many things that in their own way can be complex - something nominally as simple as a Mandelbrot set can be regarded as highly complex.

The climate (weather) of the Earth, or even the climate of the Sun - they are all very complex processes.
« Last Edit: 11/05/2007 13:13:13 by another_someone »

another_someone

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/anatomy/brain/Animals.shtml
SPERM WHALE7800 g
ELEPHANT6000
BOTTLE-NOSED DOLPHIN1500 g
HUMAN ADULT1300-1400
HORSE532
CHIMPANZEE420
HUMAN BABY350 - 400
DOG (BEAGLE)72

Thus, if one takes brain weight as a measure of complexity (not necessarily intelligence, since the brain has many functions other than servicing the intelect), then the human brain is not by any means the heaviest brain in the animal kingdom.

another_someone

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3887832&dopt=Abstract
Similarly, there was a significant correlation between the size of the lateral ventricles and the weight of the cerebral hemispheres. Women had smaller brains than men even when the difference in body length was taken into account. The difference was approximately 110-115 g for the whole brain after correction for other variables.

Again, indicating that maybe women have a less complex brain than men (although again, as I said above, the brain does many things, and one should not correlate brain mass simply with intelligence).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
i agree neil

I agree with your agreeing to what I am agreeable about...!!  ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
I think the human brain is the most complicated thing in the universe and I think you stated that perfectly!

I just want to thank you for your wonderful post Karen !.....Thank You for sharing this with us all !!
fascinating, moving and I ma grateful for your writing this.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Well, lets hope me brain is grateful too..:)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
How do you judge complexity?

There are so many things that in their own way can be complex - something nominally as simple as a Mandelbrot set can be regarded as highly complex.

The climate (weather) of the Earth, or even the climate of the Sun - they are all very complex processes.

I think we can understand a mandlebrot series can't we ?...complicated though it may be does it not follow a definitive process ?

...I suspect that although that the nature of climate  is  complex ...it's with the use of our brains that we will probably eventually understand it...and everything. else too.

another_someone

I think we can understand a mandlebrot series can't we ?...complicated though it may be does it not follow a definitive process ?

But is not the nature of complexity that we understand how the components interact, and yet cannot predict their outcome.

If we cannot even understand the rules by which something interacts, then that is not complexity, it is merely a lack of knowledge.

It is true to say that, since the Mandelbrot set is a computer model, it can be predicted insofar as you can go through the model and find the outcome; but it cannot be predicted insofar as you cannot go through any short cut to provide a generalised prediction of how it will look after N number of iterations.

...I suspect that although that the nature of climate  is  complex ...it's with the use of our brains that we will probably eventually understand it...and everything. else too.

I would suggest that although we might develop a generalised understanding of the weather (the weather man can make probabilistic short term predictions - just as I can make probabilistic predictions about how another persons brain might behave at some future date)  but that is scarcely a detained and definite prediction of a future outcome).

The very nature of weather is that it is chaotic - subject to the butterfly effect (i.e. a flap of a butterflies wing in one part of the world might create a small movement of air that by various circumstances might be magnified to a hurricane somewhere else).  This being the case, you cannot predict the weather without knowing exactly what every butterfly in the world is doing.  You cannot predict what the butterflies are doing without predicting what the humans are doing.  You cannot predict what the humans are doing without understanding the human brain.

In fact, even more directly, if a butterflies wing can change the weather, just think what an aeroplane might do - and how do you predict an aeroplane's flight without understanding the human brain?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums