The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where in the world?  (Read 231299 times)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #150 on: 02/12/2007 17:28:36 »
THE LAST TIME I CHECKED, MR. NEIL, HARROD'S WAS IN LONDON !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #151 on: 02/12/2007 18:31:49 »
THE LAST TIME I CHECKED, MR. NEIL, HARROD'S WAS IN LONDON !

Yes sir....But last time I checked MY piccy was of Piccadilly Circus...NoT Harrods !!...LOL !!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #152 on: 02/12/2007 18:33:40 »
....Though...I can see how ewe can misconstrue the structure in the background (In MY piccy)....as Harrods....it does look akin to in !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #153 on: 02/12/2007 19:18:49 »
LOL!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #154 on: 03/12/2007 02:36:39 »
....Though...I can see how ewe can misconstrue the structure in the background (In MY piccy)....as Harrods....it does look akin to in !!

Carping little monster! He'd quibble about the price of herring with a turbot!

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #155 on: 04/12/2007 23:58:41 »
Ok...we should return this thread to Mr BASS now !!

Au contraire!  The whole idea of this thread is for people to post pictures of their favorite places for everyone to enjoy.
This one's closer to home for you tea sippers on the east side of the pond:

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
Where in the world?
« Reply #156 on: 05/12/2007 16:08:05 »
Pretty!

But not Switzerland.

Mountains are too round.

;D

Hmmmm - I hope we have not Scotts on board else I  might be in trouble now

looks... erm.... highlandish?

ps: harrods / piccadilly circus - no sweat, just a little difference in postcode SW3 vs SW1  ;D

~~~~~~~~~

for a friend

« Last Edit: 05/12/2007 17:54:02 by Alandriel »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #157 on: 05/12/2007 18:14:58 »
Pretty!

But not Switzerland.

Mountains are too round.

;D
Correct

Hmmmm - I hope we have not Scotts on board else I  might be in trouble now

looks... erm.... highlandish?

Nope.  And my scottish ancestry takes no offense >:(
Located in a national park and the bottom of the lake is below sea level.

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
Where in the world?
« Reply #158 on: 05/12/2007 20:03:23 »
Gosh - I've really been on a whild goose chase around google and Wiki just now and can't make heads and tails...

meaning I can't find something that would match those pics, and I've been around the world a few times already.

Bass, you really need to contribute to List of places on land with elevations below sea level  ;D

peace offering to scotting ancestors  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for a friend

« Last Edit: 05/12/2007 20:05:45 by Alandriel »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #159 on: 06/12/2007 22:50:05 »

peace offering to scotting ancestors  ;D

What?  No haggis??!!

I'll not be wearing my sporran then.

As to the lake:
Note that the bottom of the lake is below sea level, not the surface.  (Hint, this may be a deep lake)
English (at least your version of it) is the official language.
It is rumored that a mythical creature lives in a garden surrounded by a white picket fence (No, it's not Neil), on the bottom of the lake.  But, then again, who believes rumors??

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
Where in the world?
« Reply #160 on: 07/12/2007 12:17:00 »

This really has me vexed now..... grrrrrr LOL

And sorry, NO haggis - under NO circumstances haggis, absolutely *never* in your life haggis

shudder   !!!

You said no to highlands so Scottish loch-monsters are out I guess. Too bad really,  those 'mountains' just really do have a highlandish feel for me.

What does that leave us with?

Ireland: Lough Keane, Lough Ree, Lough Muck
United Kingdom: Bala Lake (Wales), Bassenthwaite Lake (England) - Eachy , Windermere (England) - Eachy

but none of them qualify as below sealevel... I think......

Gimme another hint!

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #161 on: 07/12/2007 22:05:46 »
More hints?  More hints?  You must live with gnomes if you haven't figured this out yet:

Surrounded by some of the highest peaks in the country, including the highest peak.
With its crystal clear waters, a popular dive spot.
The deepest lake in the country, so must contain vast water.

Don't think I can spell it out much more clearly!

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
Where in the world?
« Reply #162 on: 08/12/2007 11:28:56 »
Yes, you're absolutely right. I do live with gnomes, two big ones to be precise and a small army of gremlins too....

As is very evident, there is yet a lot I have to learn about my fourth adopted country.  ::) ;D

You see, when you talk of 'below sea level' and 'deep' I think REALLY DEEP e.g. 1500m Gulf of Aqaba, 372m of Lago Maggiore or at the very least 214m of Lake Lucern in who's waters I first learnt to dible and dive....but then none of those even remotely match the piccie...it had that 'highlandish' feel to it.... or much more 'lowlandish' as things turn out....

79m is... well... erm.... the DEEPEST LAKE in England  ;D: Wast Water or Wastwater in the Lake District.

National Park of course and yes, well, I'm sure that it does attract some divers; the very serious kind no doubt that love thick wetsuits or the much more sensible dry suits, *OR* if you're into Arctic charof course, then there's literally NO place like it.

WASTWATER (name of the lake and it's valley) is one of the finest examples of a glacially 'over-deepened' valley. The surface of the lake is about 200 feet above sea level, while its bottom is over 50 feet below sea level.

So, the 'below sea level' is covered too. It is really gratifying to finally find the right page 
Even the gnomes are covered. T'was no use me looking for 'mosters' ~ gotta be more precise 

According to an article dated 14 February 2005 on the BBC News website, Underwater gnome threat 'returns', a "gnome garden" complete with picket fence was removed from the bottom of Wastwater after several divers died a few years ago. It is thought the divers spent too much time too deep searching for the ornaments. Police divers report there is a rumour that the garden has returned at a depth beyond which they are allowed. PC Kenny McMahon, a member of the North West Police Underwater Search Unit, said "Wastwater is quite clear at the bottom, but there's nothing to see. At a depth of about 48m, divers had taken gnomes down and put a picket fence around them. But several years ago there were a number of fatalities and the Lake District National Park Authority asked us to get rid of them. We went down there, put them in bags and removed the lot. But now there's a rumour about a new garden beyond the 50m depth limit. As police divers we can't legally dive any deeper so, if it exists, the new garden could have been purposefully put out of our reach."

Someone tell those police divers to go for TRIMIX  ;D

Now DO explain glacially 'over-deepened' valley to a non-initiate please

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #163 on: 09/12/2007 04:36:47 »
Glacially 'Over-Deepened' Valley

Once there was a valley. It was sort of "V" shaped and angular in nature. Then along came a big old mean glacier with all of this humongous great force pushing it along. Anything that got in it's way got pushed aside. And the weight of the glacier dug up what was underneath and in front of it.

Below is a very evident glacially over-deepened valley, Yosemite Valley in The Sierra Nevada Mountains of California.

Note the "U" shape. This is a classical indication that a glacier has passed through it, altering the sides and deepening the valley.

This is even more strikingly seen in the picture below of Bridal Veil Falls In Yosemite Valley, below.

Here the glacier has cut the side of the valley so that there is left a "hanging Valley" whose mouth is hig above the valley floor into which it once flowed without interruption.

And, m'dear, Switzerland is full of these things. Vierwaldstättersee is a glacially over-deepened lake.

And to think - you had no idea!

BUT ...... The highest peak in the UK is Ben Nevis in Scotland. Wastwater is in the Lake District of England.

Bass needs to clarify his hints but I have a feeling you are right, A.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #164 on: 09/12/2007 15:57:38 »
Wow Jim Bob Awesome pictures! Very cool!

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
Where in the world?
« Reply #165 on: 09/12/2007 20:21:07 »
Quote from: JimBob
And, m'dear, Switzerland is full of these things. Vierwaldstättersee is a glacially over-deepened lake.
And to think - you had no idea!

Well, you find me at a distict disadvantage you see, one of language.
Yes I grew up next to Lake Lucern (or Vierwaldstättersee - 100 points for you there and two extra for the Umlaut)and even learnt about the history and little of the geology, but, that was ... erm... let's see 30 odd years ago AND in German so the term 'over-deepened lake' does unfortunatly not mean much, hence my question.

Thanks for taking the time and effort for not only explaining it so well, but also illustrating it.

Now I can appreciate the valley of 'Les Deux Alpes' where we go skiing quite often with new eyes.

... and I sincerely hope I'm not committing another geological blunder here  ;D

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #166 on: 09/12/2007 23:45:19 »
Wastwater it is!  Alandriel earns the gold star.

BUT ...... The highest peak in the UK is Ben Nevis in Scotland. Wastwater is in the Lake District of England.

BUT..... JimBob needs to pay closer attention.  Wastwater is located in England- and the highest peak in England is Scafell Pike, which is located in the Lake District above Wastwater.  Since when did a true Scotsman speak "official" English?
***Grumble....mumble...nit-pick...grumble****

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
Where in the world?
« Reply #167 on: 10/12/2007 14:23:45 »
pins gold star to scarf

Thank you!  ;D
Does that mean I can have another go now then?

Excellent!   [8D]

Looks freaky I know.... Guess where it is and even better, tell me how this came to be.
To me it always looked as if a bunch of giants had gone on a treasure hunt

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #168 on: 10/12/2007 14:49:45 »
Wastwater it is!  Alandriel earns the gold star.

BUT..... JimBob needs to pay closer attention.  Wastwater is located in England- and the highest peak in England is Scafell Pike, which is located in the Lake District above Wastwater.  Since when did a true Scotsman speak "official" English?
***Grumble....mumble...nit-pick...grumble****

Look you old coot, I said the highest mountain in the UK, not England And the last time I checked, No matter how screwed up and non-understandable the version is, English is STILL the "official" language of the Scots. Or are your ancestors, still fighting for Robert the Bruce????????

Nit pick ! my rosy red arse ! - you just need to be more specific. Flailing words around like a dull claidheamh mòr - really!!! ( to himself JimBob says "I guess that is what he gets with his Haggis eating ancestry. never were real smart - comes with eating intestines - now we Welsh on the other hand ........."

I am going to go make some money - You going to sit in the house piling children on the fire to keep warm up there? Looks to be about 20° F (-6 C) and it is a balmy  41° F (5 C) here.

« Last Edit: 10/12/2007 15:07:29 by JimBob »

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
Where in the world?
« Reply #169 on: 10/12/2007 16:30:25 »
JimBob said the highest mountain in the UK is is Ben Nevis (in Scotland, part of the UK)

You're right

Bass said the highest mountain in England is Scafell Pike in the Lake District

you're right too

you're both right *AND* YOU BOTH NEED GLASSES !   ;D

and I need mittens - it IS rather chilly here.

« Last Edit: 10/12/2007 16:33:34 by Alandriel »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #170 on: 10/12/2007 19:35:00 »
Look you old coot....

My,my, a bit testy are we JimBob?  [:0] Sounds quite like the curmudgeon calling the old coot black?

Or are your ancestors, still fighting for Robert the Bruce????????

Being part Scots, part German (and several parts who knows?), makes for one stubborn cuss.  Add in my deep south heritage- "Ferget? Hell!"  (So we southern gentlemen procalaim when asked about the Civil War- or any other long-ago lost battles that besmirch our honor).

Looks to be about 20° F (-6 C) and it is a balmy  41° F (5 C) here.

Ah, but the cold was much better for that 2 feet (60 cm) of light powder on the slopes yesterday!
« Last Edit: 10/12/2007 20:09:31 by Bass »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #171 on: 10/12/2007 20:05:02 »
Unbelievable photo, Alandriel. 

A wild guess- those are remnants of sand dunes, perhaps somewhere along the Nile River?  Maybe too many palm trees for most of the Nile?

Closest thing I've seen to similar hills is the Nebraska Sand Hills (minus, of course, the tropical vegetation)

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
Where in the world?
« Reply #172 on: 11/12/2007 09:51:30 »
A wild guess- those are remnants of sand dunes, perhaps somewhere along the Nile River?  Maybe too many palm trees for most of the Nile?

Nope. Sorry - too wild a guess that. ;D

Vegetation on that pic is too tropical for the Nile. As you said: too many palm trees (density that is) plus you'd see expanses of nothing but sand close by if it were anywhere along the Nile.

Hint: 1,268 perfectly cone-shaped hills of about the same size, spread over an area of more than 50 square kilometers. They are covered in green grass that turns brown during the dry season

Quote from: Bass
2 feet (60 cm) of light powder
green with jealousy! 

« Last Edit: 11/12/2007 09:57:37 by Alandriel »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #173 on: 11/12/2007 18:35:06 »
My second guess, then, would be southeast asia.  If so, the hills would be erosional remnants, probably of limestone (old reefs?).
I remember seeing "beehive" hills in northern Australia- if I can just find that file...

There it is, under about 20 years of more recent research.  Pumululu, sandstone hills caused by erosion of thin sandstone that left hundreds of "beehive shaped hills" in the Bungle Bungle Range.  We flew over them several times in helicopters- I think they were fairly inaccessable otherwise.  Course, that was over 25 years ago.

northwest.ceo.wa.edu.au/.../kununurra4.jpg

The climate is way too wet in your photo for the hills to be sandstone- so probably limestone.  I'll have to do a bit more searching to find the answer.

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« Reply #174 on: 11/12/2007 19:02:23 »
As JimBob so eloquently points out, I'm not the sharpest stick in the bundle...

...never were real smart...

Your hint made this too simple.  Finally googled "1268 hills" and found several thousand hits on the Chocolate Hills in Bohol.

DOH! 

Looks like a beautiful place- have you ever visited?

From what I could gather, the hills are composed of limestone- likely old reef deposits, that eroded from rainwaters to form the conical shaped hills.  Interesting that there is no karst formation (caves) in the area.  Will try to find more research on their formation.

« Last Edit: 11/12/2007 19:09:56 by Bass »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Where in the world?
« Reply #174 on: 11/12/2007 19:02:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums