The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where in the world?  (Read 232154 times)

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Where in the world?
« Reply #325 on: 25/09/2012 15:10:36 »
The fact that we have snow and non snow photos ......can we assume ewe took these photos Mat ?

Nope - although I have taken photos of it and wallked up and around it on numerous occasions.  I also knew someone at university named after it! 

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: 25/09/2012 15:17:41 »
After a little research, I tentatively suggest that the hill, sorry, mountain in the background is Wether Fell, near Wensleydale.

The reason that it is featured might be because a "mountain" in Great Britain is strictly defined by a height of 2000 ft. Wether fell is close to 2000 ft high, and perhaps it might be considered the smallest mountain or the largest hill in England?

My apologies, neil, if the name gives you nightmares!

I can see what you mean - but no.  My pictures are actually of a hill!   I didn't realise the strict definition of mountain in UK - the place I describe is known as a hill and is technically a hill.

Clue Time.  The Hill is infamous and known for a deadly series of events in the 17th Century. 

Additional Clue.  The name is a tautology.

Offline damocles

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 27/09/2012 19:00:38 »
I am getting nowhere because fixated on my previous suggestions

(1) our first clue:
edit - Although I have just looked it up and there was a cow farm established just around the corner from my photo in the 13th century!  That's enough of a clue for now
That has just got to be a reference to the history of Wensleydale cheese!

(2) All English hills look alike! Well, not quite. It looks much more like the dales than lake district, peak district, or Cheviots.
To my foreign eye the picture linked below (of Dodd Fell Hill and Wether Fell) looks almost identical.

(3) I can only find 2 references to tautological hills in the Dales. One is the aforementioned Dodd Fell Hill; the other is Crag Hill. I cannot locate any claim to fame, let alone gruesome notoriety, for either of them.

So what is to be made of this "deadly series of events in the 17th Century"? As a foreigner I can only think of three things -- English civil war, Jacobite rebellion, Black death. There seem to have been small pieces in the action that happened in the Dales area for the first two, but I have failed to turn up anything major, or any association with a hill. Have drawn a complete blank on the black death.

So I am, until I get some more inspiration, defeated on this one! Are there no locals looking at this forum who can do better?

Offline schneebfloob

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 27/09/2012 21:57:38 »
Would this be Pendle Hill? It is associated with witch-trials. I seemed to recall something between a hill and some witch hunts back in the 17th century, and looked it up.

Seems the name Pendle Hill is also a tautology, as the word Pendle is derived from Penhul. 'Pen' is apparently Cumbric for hill, whilst 'hul' is also meant hill in Old English. 'Hill' was later added again. It means HillHill Hill. That's pretty cool!
« Last Edit: 27/09/2012 22:02:43 by schneebfloob »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 29/09/2012 20:22:15 »
Would this be Pendle Hill? It is associated with witch-trials. I seemed to recall something between a hill and some witch hunts back in the 17th century, and looked it up.

Seems the name Pendle Hill is also a tautology, as the word Pendle is derived from Penhul. 'Pen' is apparently Cumbric for hill, whilst 'hul' is also meant hill in Old English. 'Hill' was later added again. It means HillHill Hill. That's pretty cool!

Ding!  Correct Answer  well done. 

to recap

- why I thought of it; well Damocles had just posted Wycheproof Mountain - so I posted a hill that was definitely not proof against witches.

-  cow farm; foundation of barley, lancs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barley,_Lancashire - and a cow farm in the 13th century narrows it down geographically

- girl at uni; I wonder what Pendle is doing now.

- deadly events; the pendle witch trial was pretty gruesome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_witch_trials

- tautology; couldnt explain better than S-floob  Hill-Hill Hill - cool name

and Damocles - whilst Yorkshire is in my blood and was my home for many years, I never said it was in the Dales - it is most firmly a rose of the other colour. 

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: 29/09/2012 20:24:36 »
and here is the link for Neil of some cool looking sheep on Pendle Hill - sorry cannot embed the photo as it is protected

http://www.flickr.com/photos/felixspencer2/4392311997/lightbox/

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: 29/09/2012 23:15:14 »
and here is the link for Neil of some cool looking sheep on Pendle Hill - sorry cannot embed the photo as it is protected

http://www.flickr.com/photos/felixspencer2/4392311997/lightbox/

THANK EWE !

Offline Spinney

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 18/10/2012 11:04:02 »
I've only just joined - this is a fun thread - hope there is some enthusiasm to continue!

So, my contribution... hints later if requested.

« Last Edit: 18/10/2012 11:06:39 by Spinney »

Offline damocles

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: 18/10/2012 12:59:01 »
Can I ask not so much for a hint as for a clarification of the picture: is the rock pile right foreground an unusual geological feature or a human made rock cairn to mark a summit or a shrine? (The angle and composition of the picture is very ambiguous on this point). It looks like a picture of the high point on a fairly gentle rolling plateau -- rather like Kosciusko summit, though I do not think that that is what it is (No snow gums).

Offline Spinney

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: 18/10/2012 13:04:43 »
It is a rock feature on the edge of a plateau - apologies - this was a holiday pic rather than one taken specifically for geological purposes!

This pic gives me for scale. The dark patch bottom left is a small body of water.

« Last Edit: 18/10/2012 13:10:43 by Spinney »

Offline damocles

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: 22/10/2012 23:27:17 »
Would this be "big rock" in Alberta? Some similarities, but neither the rock nor the terrain looks quite right, but nearly. (Never been there myself, and there is not much glacial terrain here in Oz).

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 23/10/2012 02:35:01 »
It is interesting that there are some similarities to the "Big Rock" photo I posted earlier today here.  But, a little more rounded on the edges.  Perhaps that is where Big Rock came from.

But, I'd guess somewhere in the SW USA.  Perhaps Utah.

Offline Spinney

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 23/10/2012 07:45:11 »
Wrong side of the pond. I've just googled Big Rock in Alberta, and the internet tells me it is an erratic.  What I'm sitting on is not an isolated boulder. The edge of the plateau has lots of outcrops like this along its edge.

The local name for the little body of water just visible 1000 ft below on the left of the picture is a 'lochan'.

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 23/10/2012 08:39:37 »
Granite tor; Scottish Highlands; possibly Lochnagar. That would tie in with the ribbon-road town visible in the distance that would be on the north side of the Dee.

Offline Spinney

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 23/10/2012 10:14:49 »
Very close, other side of the plateau. I'm near the top of Cairn Lochan on the north edge of the Cairn Gorm plateau, with Coire an Lochain immediately below and the Spey Valley in the distance, shot taken looking approximately north. So the town in the distance is Aviemore.

The location of the photo is more or less the centre of the map, on the granite pluton.

newbielink:http://www.bgs.ac.uk/data/services/mapCreator/WmsMap.html?mapCentreLat=57.107288766685706&mapCentreLong=-3.677427760803207&mapZoom=14&boxWidth=425&boxHeight=350&geologyType=bedrock625k&mapType=HYBRID [nonactive]

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: 06/02/2015 21:48:10 »
It was not intended to be Eros that is just a colloquial name that it has acquired

Offline Streets

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: 19/06/2015 20:38:23 »
Bahamas!  Not sure of which Cay.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 16/07/2015 22:26:14 »