The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does magnetism affect the body, if at all?  (Read 81815 times)

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How does magnetism affect the body, if at all?
« on: 27/03/2004 21:57:37 »
Anybody know about magnetism and magnetic therapy?  Or how magnetism affects the human body?
« Last Edit: 23/03/2012 07:55:58 by chris »

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
Re: Magnetic Therapy
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2004 05:12:46 »
From what I've heard, while the studys on whether magnetism treatment can be benneficial or not are mixed.  The studies on how exactly they work on your body (assuming that they do) either show no results, or are worthless studies (due to their experimental design) that were just setup to get the desired results.  unless anyone's read something that I haven't I don't think we reall know much about how they work on us.
Like I said, as far as whether they work or not, expert opinions seem to be more mixed.

This is a signature.... AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!

Offline christianchick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2004 15:32:03 »
I ALWAYS see those magnetic therapy bracelets for sell everywhere, i think they are part of a study, whatever

I WILL RULE THE WORLD, so suck up now before its too late(ha ha ha ha ha)

Greetings in Christ Jesus my Lord;)

Offline 4x4crazy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/03/2004 22:32:30 »
Magnetic therapy is very soothing. My friend has a metal plate in his back from a car injury and likes nothing better than to go down the local scrap yard and swing round on the end of the chain and magnet that is normally used for lifting cars. He says its better than a fun park ride.

Actually on a more serious note and realising this is a serious question I would also like to know a little more about it.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/04/2004 14:37:22 »
I thought I posted something on this already.  As far as I understood the theory, a very strong magnet is supposed to attract the iron in your cells, thus increasing blood flow and healing to the area upon which the magnet is focused.  We had a doc here do some magnet therapy after a stroke, but I can't see where it worked all that well.  He's still partially paralyzed on one side, speaks with slurred speech and walks with a cane.

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/04/2004 14:40:16 »
Back in the seventies, I worked for a company, Medcor, that was doing magnetic healing research. This research used AC magnetic fields to enhance bone re-growth after breakage. I participated in the design of several devices that applied AC magnetic fields to the limb around the broken bone. It had rather spectacular results, with geriatric patient's bones knitting where they had been confined to wheelchairs with bone that would not heal. Then there were financial difficulties, and the research stopped.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/04/2004 16:29:20 »
wow

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/04/2004 03:06:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by gsmollin

Back in the seventies, I worked for a company, Medcor, that was doing magnetic healing research. This research used AC magnetic fields to enhance bone re-growth after breakage. I participated in the design of several devices that applied AC magnetic fields to the limb around the broken bone. It had rather spectacular results, with geriatric patient's bones knitting where they had been confined to wheelchairs with bone that would not heal. Then there were financial difficulties, and the research stopped.

gsmollin, that's really interesting.  I know they use it on race horses and it works.  Do you apply the negative field, the positive, or both?  Can you explain how it works in more detail?

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13/04/2004 17:26:38 »
Well, it's an AC field, so the coil applies positive as well as negative. I'm sorry that I can't give you any more information about the research, since I was not a "principal investigator", but an electrical designer for some of the equipment. I still do keep in touch with some of the other Medcor people, however, and I might ask them what they remember. I was interested that this technology has apparent veterinary uses. I was really disappointed in the failure of Medcor, but of course it happens all the time. They couldn't compete with Medtronics' Pacemakers.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15/04/2004 01:29:35 »
AC; positive and negative.  Guess I should have been able to figure that out.  I'd be very interested to hear any more information you get.

Offline 4x4crazy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31/03/2004 22:32:30 »
Magnetic therapy is very soothing. My friend has a metal plate in his back from a car injury and likes nothing better than to go down the local scrap yard and swing round on the end of the chain and magnet that is normally used for lifting cars. He says its better than a fun park ride.

Actually on a more serious note and realising this is a serious question I would also like to know a little more about it.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04/04/2004 14:37:22 »
I thought I posted something on this already.  As far as I understood the theory, a very strong magnet is supposed to attract the iron in your cells, thus increasing blood flow and healing to the area upon which the magnet is focused.  We had a doc here do some magnet therapy after a stroke, but I can't see where it worked all that well.  He's still partially paralyzed on one side, speaks with slurred speech and walks with a cane.

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06/04/2004 14:40:16 »

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06/04/2004 16:29:20 »
wow

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09/04/2004 03:06:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by gsmollin

gsmollin, that's really interesting.  I know they use it on race horses and it works.  Do you apply the negative field, the positive, or both?  Can you explain how it works in more detail?

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13/04/2004 17:26:38 »
Well, it's an AC field, so the coil applies positive as well as negative. I'm sorry that I can't give you any more information about the research, since I was not a "principal investigator", but an electrical designer for some of the equipment. I still do keep in touch with some of the other Medcor people, however, and I might ask them what they remember. I was interested that this technology has apparent veterinary uses. I was really disappointed in the failure of Medcor, but of course it happens all the time. They couldn't compete with Medtronics' Pacemakers.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15/04/2004 01:29:35 »
AC; positive and negative.  Guess I should have been able to figure that out.  I'd be very interested to hear any more information you get.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #17 on: 25/04/2004 09:15:48 »
I just want to dispel a couple of myths about magnetic therapy:

First, it has nothing to do with magnetic forces on the iron in your blood.  The iron in hemoglobin is in ion form, not elemental form.  It's not diamagnetic.  

Second, the magnets you buy in the store produce a magnetic field that is far to weak to have an appreciable effect on the body.  It's pure placebo.  

A very strong magnetic field may be therapeutic when applied under the right conditions for the right purposes as it can affect eletron flow and redox reactions in the body.  A small magnet in a wrist bracelet isn't going to do that.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26/04/2004 00:02:45 »
I'm glad you explained that, because that makes more sense to me than what I was told.  I couldn't imagine any type of magnet attracting to the iron in your blood, because I couldn't figure out how we could tolerate and MRI if that were the case.

Offline Slack Alice

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21/06/2004 21:23:31 »
I'm interested too and found this lot in the UK....

newbielink:http://www.ecomagnets.com/bioflow-magnotherapy.htm [nonactive]

It would appear unconvincing to me

We make our own world

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22/06/2004 15:47:41 »
Yeah, Alice, you're absolutely right.  Your body generally maintains its pH balance on its own just fine.  If it didn't, you'd have bigger issues than just arthritis and fatigue.  pH is maintained by a carbonate/carbonic acid buffer system in your blood.  CO2 from respiration is generated continually, which them partially dissociates to form carbonate and bicarbonate, the other half of the buffer.  None of these substances are paramagnetic.  (i.e. they are not affected by a magnetic field)

They're claiming to catalyze biochemical reactions in the body with a little wrist magnet...I can't believe that it's even legal to make that claim.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22/06/2004 15:58:45 »
I know this is not magnetic related but it is bracelet related....I see so many people who wear those copper bracelets...apart from turning your skin green...what are they supposed to do? and do they actually do it ?

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22/06/2004 21:26:44 »
The copper bracelets are supposed to help with arthritis.  I've never seen any scientific evidence that they do (or don't).  Personally, I like the color of copper and sometimes wear one as jewlery.  I figure if it turns out that it helps slow down arthritis, all the better.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22/06/2004 23:35:41 »
Copper is a lot more believeable than magnets.  At the very least, you can explain it by saying elemental copper is absorbed through the skin and catalyzes biochemical reactions that slow the progress of arthritis.  Whether this is true or not is of course up for analysis, but at least it sounds plausible.  Magnet therapy is utter bollocks.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23/06/2004 04:07:42 »
If nothing else, magnetic therapy will have good placebo effect for those who believe in it, and it certainly can't hurt (unless they swallow the magnet or something).  And, who knows, maybe the weak magnetic field or something associated with it will turn out to have some real beneficial effect.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 23/06/2004 04:07:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums