The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: lucky numbers  (Read 3928 times)

paul.fr

lucky numbers
« on: 13/05/2007 22:28:01 »
People have lucky numers for all sorts of reasons, the lottery, horse racing, etc. Is there any science behind lucky numbers? Are some numbers luckier than others?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
lucky numbers
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2007 22:33:34 »
Personally....I do not believe in ' luck'...I only believe in circusmtance.

I am also not superstitious and am an atheist........so..in MY opinion...anything associated with ' luck' is load of ?????..........in MY opinion ok ?

...however.........I do remain open minded and am willing to be persuaded otherwise....

Knowing my luck...someone will persuade me !!................LOL.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
lucky numbers
« Reply #2 on: 14/05/2007 01:07:38 »
Knowing your luck you will end up on a deserted Island...LOL I believe that was close to your words in another post! LOL

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
lucky numbers
« Reply #3 on: 14/05/2007 03:09:34 »
my lucky number has always been 7. my birthday is july 7th (and this year it'll be 07/07/07) i rode bus number 7 to school... there are many other strange 7 coincidences in my life, but that's why i've always said it's 7. don't know about other people!

another_someone

lucky numbers
« Reply #4 on: 14/05/2007 04:27:37 »
my lucky number has always been 7. my birthday is july 7th (and this year it'll be 07/07/07) i rode bus number 7 to school... there are many other strange 7 coincidences in my life, but that's why i've always said it's 7. don't know about other people!

Birthday 3 days before mine (probably a good few years later).

The number 7 is quite often regarded as a lucky number.

It is considered that the human mind can retain about 7 pieces of information at once (in short term memory), and hence maybe why that number has a particular significance to humans.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
lucky numbers
« Reply #5 on: 14/05/2007 04:30:58 »
your birthday is july tenth? that's awesome. july's a fun month to have a birthday

Offline eric l

• View Profile
lucky numbers
« Reply #6 on: 14/05/2007 14:24:33 »
"Lucky numbers" happens to be a notion in mathematics, in number theory to be more exact.  They are natural numbers that are left over from an elimination process, e.g. prime numbers are the numbers that remain after applying the "sieve of Erastothenes" (which is why they are "lucky").
What becomes interesting is to see which operations remain possible within the set of those lucky numbers, e.g. if you do a multiplation within the set of prime numbers, the result is not a prime number.
I am not an expert in number theory - it is all a bit long ago and far away by now - but I remember there was a set that also had a specific name (which I forgot) and where the numbers where all of the (3n + 1) type (n being any natural number).  Operations like addition and substraction gave a result that was not a "lucky number", but by multiplication you got a result within the set.

The Naked Scientists Forum

lucky numbers
« Reply #6 on: 14/05/2007 14:24:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums