The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can I have arthritis at age 25?  (Read 14976 times)

Offline gary

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can I have arthritis at age 25?
« on: 14/05/2007 09:37:42 »
I am 25 years old. I am having arthritis problem since last many years. In doctors report they found that this is Osteo arthritis, which can affect bones and joints. But doctors are unable to cure this problem. I am afraid that if this problem continues for few more days I may loose my activeness. Please suggest me any solution.
Thanks
« Last Edit: 19/09/2008 22:30:54 by chris »

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Re: Can I have arthritis at age 25?
« Reply #1 on: 14/05/2007 22:53:32 »
Ermm.. I've read in a book that aspirin helps temporarily?? I'm not even sure about it.. But I doubt it heals, just sooths for a short amount of time.. Oh, forget I said anything!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2007 00:05:39 »
 i don't believe that there is a cure for arthritis, unfortunately. of course there are a lot of treatments. i'm not a doctor though... chris?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/05/2007 02:55:04 »
Gary,

Welcome to the group. I have had osteo- and rheumatoid arthriis since I was 21. I am now over 60 so it isn't the end at all. All you can do is what you body lets you do. I was VERY depressed when I first got arthritis so I know what you are going through. If you want to talk at length about it - and your hands let you do that - I'll be glad to talk with you one-on-one. Jut email me at hornytoad@austin.rr.com

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/05/2007 10:13:01 »
Hi gary,

please allow me to post here my little codtribution from Complementary Med.:

Scientists crack cod liver oil secret

Cod liver oil can help arthritis sufferers
Scientists have identified exactly why cod liver oil is effective in easing the pain and inflammation associated with arthritis.
Researchers at Cardiff University have pinpointed unusual fatty acids, called Omega or n-3 fatty acids, as the crucial factor.
These fatty acids are present in fish oils but not other oils common in the diet.
These findings provide some very interesting explanations as to why granny's cod liver oil therapies have some benefits to arthritis sufferers.
Once incorporated into the cells, the fatty acids reduce the activity of enzymes that are responsible for damaging the cells and causing arthritis.
The fatty acids also cause the "switching off" of another recently-discovered enzyme that causes much of the pain and inflammation in arthritis.
Lead researcher Professor Bruce Caterson said: "This is a particularly interesting finding because there is intense activity in the pharmaceutical industry to find specific drug inhibitors of Cyclooxygenase-2."

Pain and inflammation
The fatty acids also switch off the long-term production of other chemicals known as inflammatory cytokines that prolong the pain and inflammation associated with arthritis.
Professor Caterson said: "These findings provide some very interesting explanations as to why granny's cod liver oil therapies have some benefits to arthritis sufferers.
"The good thing about modern day dietary supplements is that fish oil is available in capsules, thus preventing the most obvious deterrent to this treatment - the smell that precedes the terrible taste!"

Dr Madeline Devey, scientific secretary of the Arthritis Research Campaign, said the research was "terrifically exciting".

She said: "Taking fish oil is something that lots of people do because it makes them feel better, but we had had no idea why.

"Any good science that can be thrown at a common self-medication is a really good idea, and it might enable us to manipulate diet in a slightly more rational way than we do at the moment."

Sunday, 16 January, 2000, 01:03 GMT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/604014.stm

I know it's NOT a 'panacea', but I HAD to mention it.
It seems to be my duty around here, never mind!

ikod

« Last Edit: 15/05/2007 10:25:11 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16/09/2008 08:05:43 »
I find different things helpful. Mine is more painful in the cold weather, and not using it makes it worse, but I do have limitations also.. It is extremely painful some days are worse then others I guess that just depends on how much inflammation is happening in the arthritic area... Anti inflammatories help me but one must be careful as they can build up in your kidneys and liver...My Doctor started me on an herbal supplement called Zyflamend.. you might look into that it has actually done a nice job in reducing some of the inflammation and pain!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/09/2008 10:08:35 »
By the way I was diagnosed with my first Arthritis at age 19 years old . They found it while checking me for blood poisoning which I got from being skewered by homemade rusty base on a porcelain pointer finger paper tack! LOL.. it fell from a shelf and stabbed me in the top of my hand. The next day I was the proud owner of a huge red streak running up my left arm and into my shoulder.. I had blood poisoning from the rusty thing! Also they diagnosed my arthritis!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 21/09/2008 10:08:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums