The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: In Defense of Jolly  (Read 24500 times)

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #25 on: 21/05/2007 16:42:57 »
I read this and from what I can gather "jolly" was kinda Jeckel and Hyde before he was banned.

jolly

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #26 on: 22/05/2007 12:32:03 »
I read this and from what I can gather "jolly" was kinda Jeckel and Hyde before he was banned.

I dont agree! I jeckel all the time and never hyde!

The reason for the ban was that I posted a quote that the person referenced didnt say! and therefore misrepresented a fellow member!

But that really is rubbish as it would have been impossible for him to have posted in response to my statement- was therefore a joke- hardly could have been taken seriously, unless your stupid.

Therefore to protect the stupid people, from themselves.... they banned me!

Offline Ben6789

• And then there were none.
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #27 on: 22/05/2007 12:56:15 »
Well, jolly, it's always good to have you back! [8D]

hahahaha..a joker like always. [:o)]

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #28 on: 22/05/2007 16:25:13 »
Hey Jolly nice to see u bak again!!! uve been missed if u cant tell

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #29 on: 22/05/2007 16:26:26 »
did this topic in fact help the decison to let u bak on?

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #30 on: 22/05/2007 16:26:59 »
He seems nice.

another_someone

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #31 on: 22/05/2007 17:20:28 »
did this topic in fact help the decison to let u bak on?

The answer to that is NO - the original ban was only for a week, and that week was up.  It was never a permanent ban.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #32 on: 22/05/2007 17:56:17 »
oh! well no1 told me that

jolly

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #33 on: 22/05/2007 22:16:14 »
No it was for one week! They did say in one e-mail that they wanted or some wanted a full ban; but agreed that- `the stupid people should only be saved from themselves, for a week!!!!!`

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #34 on: 22/05/2007 22:30:17 »

I dont agree! I jeckel all the time and never hyde!

The reason for the ban was that I posted a quote that the person referenced didnt say! and therefore misrepresented a fellow member!

But that really is rubbish as it would have been impossible for him to have posted in response to my statement- was therefore a joke- hardly could have been taken seriously, unless your stupid.

Therefore to protect the stupid people, from themselves.... they banned me!

Well, from my persective, I can't tell if what you speak are jokes or actual serious statements. Try make it more obvious.

jolly

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #35 on: 22/05/2007 23:42:01 »
seany what are you asking me to do? dumb down by the sounds of it! If you dont get something maybe your not ready to, I will not add an extra paragraph to my jokes, so even mr bean understands me!

another_someone

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #36 on: 23/05/2007 02:16:36 »
seany what are you asking me to do? dumb down by the sounds of it! If you dont get something maybe your not ready to, I will not add an extra paragraph to my jokes, so even mr bean understands me!

Jolly,

I have known people like you before, people who can be lovely in person, and they do have a good sense of humour, but when they are talking face to face with someone, you can tell by their body language how to read what they are saying.  The trouble is when you are limited to a text medium, you lose the benefits of body language and vocal intonation, and this can lead to horrible misunderstandings, and people thinking you are being nasty when that is not what you intend to be.  Worse than that, they think you are being nasty, and respond negatively to you, and then you feel you are being unfairly attacked and behave defensively in consequence.

It is not about dumbing down, it is about being more careful about the language you use lest it be misunderstood in the absence of any non-verbal cues.  People are not mind readers, and it is unfair to expect them to be.

Offline Ben6789

• View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #37 on: 23/05/2007 13:09:10 »
I can read minds! I'm an alien.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #38 on: 23/05/2007 14:48:03 »
hey hey hey jolly calm down jeez ur not the smartest one here man calm down look u even have ur own topic calm down

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #39 on: 23/05/2007 15:44:42 »
I can read minds! I'm an alien.

that kind of text and smilies are a great way to convey jokes.

ya poop face! ;D;);D

jolly

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #40 on: 24/05/2007 09:44:51 »

Jolly,

I have known people like you before, people who can be lovely in person, and they do have a good sense of humour, but when they are talking face to face with someone, you can tell by their body language how to read what they are saying.  The trouble is when you are limited to a text medium, you lose the benefits of body language and vocal intonation, and this can lead to horrible misunderstandings, and people thinking you are being nasty when that is not what you intend to be.  Worse than that, they think you are being nasty, and respond negatively to you, and then you feel you are being unfairly attacked and behave defensively in consequence.

Well there`s an issue there that people should responed in that way, they should have more self control, most certainly when they dont understand something, I would recomend that people in the situation take a while and ponder, rather that agressivly responding as they have in the past!

It is not about dumbing down, it is about being more careful about the language you use lest it be misunderstood in the absence of any non-verbal cues.  People are not mind readers, and it is unfair to expect them to be.

I can except that clearly when you consider that communication is about 80% non verbal cues, that some may lose the meaning but that really is down to each individual, some do get it and some dont! and considering that you never know which person will read it or how each person will take it; I would to a degree consider it a dumming down process to start pandering to the people that dont get it!

I mean no harm in what I post, though much of it will be contencious to some; but that really is down to what they believe, feel and consider to be the truth, reality, right or wrong with a given situation or topic!

It ultimately rests with the individual in question to recieve me as they choose to; I write- you read and interpret as you choose to!

Anyone who recieves me with anger I would worry about, as I denotes hate, fear, and closed mindedness!

Why is in that situation what I say so upsetting, generally it would be because I attack or question things in a way others are scared to, If your belifes are that flimsy, What can I say?

I believe humanity is here to serve itself, each person should serve each other person, from a position of love (I mean by that).

revelations: "He will come in the form of a servant"- The servant King, surely to show each person should work in everyone elses interest, and by proxy their own!

"DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WISH DONE UNTO YOU" That is the universal message of all religions!

I generally dont mind being attacked or laughted at; I am not insecure in anyway, laught at me, reject me, put me down, I still do and always will care about everyone! and work in that vain!

Ultimately its your choice- when and how you judge something, I think many should remember that, Everyone brings baggage to the table!

« Last Edit: 24/05/2007 09:46:36 by jolly »

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #41 on: 24/05/2007 12:54:52 »
Wow nice post jolly. You must be used to this. The ending paragraphs are the best though.

Ever thought of being a professional speaker?

another_someone

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #42 on: 24/05/2007 14:33:33 »
Well there`s an issue there that people should responed in that way, they should have more self control, most certainly when they dont understand something, I would recomend that people in the situation take a while and ponder, rather that agressivly responding as they have in the past!

Don't you think that self control is a two way thing.  If you care about other people, don't you think it is also incumbent upon you to sometimes show some self control and not respond to them in kind.

You say that some people get it, and some don't.  This is true, but this is not down to the intelligent one's getting it, and the dumb one's don't; but it is down to what is the background they come from, and what norms they have in their own background.  It does not make them stupid if they come with a different set of norms and a different set of expectations, but if you are clever, then you will make allowances for the inevitably wide range of backgrounds that the people on a forum like this do come from.  This is not dumbing down at all, it is courtesy and a desire not to cause others unnecessary pain.

It is all very well saying (as I know you do say in your signature) that "you do it to yourselves", but that is shirking your own responsibility in the world.  You say that you care about people, and I believe that you do, so caring also means taking responsibility (even beyond the minimum that you think is your own fault), and not merely shrugging your shoulders and saying that they did it to themselves.

I mean no harm in what I post, though much of it will be contencious to some; but that really is down to what they believe, feel and consider to be the truth, reality, right or wrong with a given situation or topic!

I know you mean no harm, but as you admit (and I don't think there is anything wrong with that, within reason) you like to push the limits sometimes; but if you are taking the initiative in pushing the boundary, then you have to take responsibility when there is a risk of people getting hurt by that, and you have to be ready to take whatever action is necessary to remove the harm to others, and to understand where hurt might be done.  Too often you have caused hurt, and then simply claimed you have done nothing wrong if you admit that you are pushing the boundaries, then you are admitting that there are times you are risking crossing that boundary it would be humanly impossible to get too close to the boundary without sometimes crossing it.

It ultimately rests with the individual in question to recieve me as they choose to; I write- you read and interpret as you choose to!

No, ultimately it rests with you to ensure that what you say has the desired effect, and if that intended effect is that others should not be hurt by what you say, then that is indeed your responsibility, not theirs.

If you don't care about what another hears when you talk to them, then why talk to them at all.  Is not the point of communication that you wish to convey to another an idea that you have in your mind, and if the words you use fail to properly convey the idea you have, does it really make sense to say it does not matter to you what idea they have received from your words?
If a speaker fails to convey his ideas, then it is the speakers fault.  If a listener is listening in on a conversation that he was not intended to hear, and misunderstands it, then I agree, that is the listeners fault, because the speaker was not trying to convey an idea to him; but if you are indeed speaking to that listener, then it is your responsibility to use a language that will be understood by the listener.  To do otherwise is rather like the English tourist who goes to a foreign land, and when the natives fail to understand what he says, he simply shouts louder in the nave assumption that they must be either deaf or stupid, when the truth of the matter is that he is being stupid in not trying to learn the language of the natives.
« Last Edit: 24/05/2007 14:42:00 by another_someone »

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #43 on: 24/05/2007 16:21:55 »
Jolly u..u..yea...u just need to calm down i may b starting to regret this topic..:(

Offline Ben6789

• View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #44 on: 24/05/2007 16:24:45 »
No more arguing, please?

another_someone

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #45 on: 24/05/2007 16:46:49 »
Jolly u..u..yea...u just need to calm down i may b starting to regret this topic..:(

It is your choice, but if you so desire, we can remove the topic for you - but I leave that in your hands.

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #46 on: 24/05/2007 16:50:26 »
Darn, i'll lose posts if you do that.

another_someone

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #47 on: 24/05/2007 16:59:24 »
Darn, i'll lose posts if you do that.

I'm sure you'll make it up soon enough - there's lots else to talk about too.

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #48 on: 25/05/2007 13:16:52 »
Like left hands. ;)

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #49 on: 25/05/2007 16:05:12 »
And there was me wondering what I had missed  ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

In Defense of Jolly
« Reply #49 on: 25/05/2007 16:05:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums