The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: blue lighting, to prevent drug use.  (Read 5311 times)

paul.fr

blue lighting, to prevent drug use.
« on: 16/05/2007 03:46:02 »
i was in a train station toilet the other week, and noticed that all the lighting was blue! Apart from the fact that it was hard to see what you were doing until my eyes adjusted, i wondered why.

I asked the attendant, and she said it was to stop people taking drugs! How does this work? And are there anyother uses for different coloured lighting?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/05/2007 16:12:54 »
It would be more difficult to see a blue vein in blue light, (intravenous drug use).

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: 16/05/2007 16:29:21 »
Yes your skin is approximately white, and the veins are blue this means they reflect about the same amount of blue light but less red and green. So if you just have blue light a vein looks the same as the rest of your skin - hence more difficult to find.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/05/2007 18:59:55 »
Yes your skin is approximately white, and the veins are blue this means they reflect about the same amount of blue light but less red and green. So if you just have blue light a vein looks the same as the rest of your skin - hence more difficult to find.
Very interesting. I thought it was because drug people usually see everything blue, and so with blue lights they believed to have already taken their drug! :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 16/05/2007 18:59:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums