The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Yoghurt!! When you open it, why does it always splat?  (Read 20028 times)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
I find that when I open my yoghurt, it always splats on me! So I make sure I open it the other way, so that it splats, not facing me! ;) Is there any science and force in this?

These type of lid yoghurts.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Yoghurt!! When you open it, why does it always splat?
« Reply #1 on: 17/05/2007 03:52:43 »
Try opening it slowly. My yogurt doesn't splat. We have the Dannon here - same carton design just a different spelling - and I am glad to see your Mum or Dad buys the one with the active culture in it. Yogurt is like sausage, you do not want to know how it is made. Same goes for cheese, lunch meat, etc.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/05/2007 04:03:20 »
my great grandma used to make home made yogurt. yuck!

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 17/05/2007 04:08:16 »
Dannon is a French brand that we have over here too (not that I eat yogurt, whatever the brand).

I suspect the splat is because you are putting pressure on the container (or else pressure has built up for some other reason - with live yogurt, I suppose the bacterial action might still be producing gasses, but I cannot say if this is the case).

As JimBob suggested, a slow release of the gas before you fully open the yogurt might help alleviate the internal pressure, and make sure you are not holding the container with such a firm grip that it might be contributing to the pressure.

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 17/05/2007 10:54:00 »
could this be because the yoghurt is too warm resulting in lactic acid fermentation?

Offline Volcano Girrrl

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/05/2007 14:41:40 »
On my first day working for the naked scientists I opened a yoghurt and it splatted all over me including my face (note to self - do not impress your new colleagues in this way). I have it on good authority (from Dave Shorts no less!) that its because when they make yoghurt they put nitrogen in the top (on top of the yoghurt under the lid) to keep it fresh, the gas is also cold and therefore more compact. When you take the yogurt out of the fridge it warms up and the nitrogen expands - it along with a bit of the yoghurt gets released when you open it and release the pressure. 

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20/05/2007 11:18:07 »
I find that when I open my yoghurt, it always splats on me! So I make sure I open it the other way, so that it splats, not facing me! ;) Is there any science and force in this?

Do you open it befor or after expiration date?  :)
« Last Edit: 20/05/2007 11:19:57 by lightarrow »

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/05/2007 12:01:53 »
Before! ;D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 20/05/2007 12:01:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums