The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: continental drift.  (Read 5922 times)

paul.fr

continental drift.
« on: 17/05/2007 11:15:51 »
will the continents ever drift enough, to form one big continent?

Offline ichnos

• View Profile
continental drift.
« Reply #1 on: 17/05/2007 11:43:45 »
yes. Studies of past continental drift have shown that the continents form and break up in cycles. Past supercontinents are approximately as follows:

Vaalbara (3.1 Ba)
Kenorland (2.7 Ba)
Colombia (1.4 Ba)
Rodinia (750 Ma)
Pangaea  (260Ma)

so chances are it will happen again!

paul.fr

continental drift.
« Reply #2 on: 17/05/2007 11:50:17 »
yes. Studies of past continental drift have shown that the continents form and break up in cycles. Past supercontinents are approximately as follows:

Vaalbara (3.1 Ba)
Kenorland (2.7 Ba)
Colombia (1.4 Ba)
Rodinia (750 Ma)
Pangaea  (260Ma)

so chances are it will happen again!

Thanks, Ichnos. So when they next happen, will they create large mountain chains and other "stuff" (sorry for using such technical words  ;))?

Offline ichnos

• View Profile
continental drift.
« Reply #3 on: 17/05/2007 14:18:57 »
yes, where continents collide you get mountain chains, for example the collision of Africa with Europe that is ongoing has resulted in the Alps and the Pyrenees; the northward movement of the India into Asia has resulted in the Himalayas. However, rifting (the breaking apart of crust)forces the continents apart e.g. the increasing separation of Africa/Europe from the Americas along the mid Atlantic ridge, or the breakup of east Africa along the great rift. Currently the overall trend is for continents to break up, but they will eventually come back together. not quite sure what you mean by "other stuff"! :-)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
continental drift.
« Reply #4 on: 17/05/2007 18:47:46 »
We just got through with another topic discussion on this. See

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=7681.0

We also had an discussion earlier this year.

You can also see those, Paul

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=3759.0

Aside to himself - (Dang, Paul seems to be loosing his memory early in life.)

paul.fr

continental drift.
« Reply #5 on: 17/05/2007 19:58:06 »

Aside to himself - (Dang, Paul seems to be loosing his memory early in life.)

Thanks for the links, JimBob. The memory has been going for sometime now...

Offline K.Margiani

• I only try to help of mammals kingdom.
    • View Profile
    • COSMOGEOLOGY
continental drift.
« Reply #6 on: 18/09/2007 16:34:08 »
    Small geocatastrophes are the result of aggregation state changes under crust and into cracks of the crust too. Global defect of volume into the asthenosphere causes very slowly vertical displacement of lithosphere plates. Between plates creaks step by step are opening. Into the cracks between lithosphere plates magma slowly flows in, so that enormous intrusive bodies can to form. During hardening they cause global defect of volume into cracks. Colossal tension between plates occurs as the result. This result creates horizontal and vertical displacements between plate’s cracks and there are creating new free volumes. Tension into active cracks increases, permanent displacement, and interactions between plates are reason of earthquakes and volcanoes. Additional asthenosphere masses flow into free volume of creaks. Some plate submerging slowly and some one grow up. Asthenosphere masses sometimes reach even the Earth crust surface (volcanoes). Plate’s horizontal displacement towards each other during the last one million years was prevented many times. At this time ocean bed undergoes colossal wave deformation. This mostly refers to Pacific Ocean bed. Global defect of volume into asthenosphere and between platforms under influence oceans and continents masses can to create powerful geoforce. This powerful geoforce is the reason of sun-Andres like movements. Vertical displacements, and additional asthenosphere masses flow into creaks. This connected with additional catastrophic strenuously between plates. For decreasing of this powerful catastrophic strenuously between platforms is necessary submerging process part of ocean beds into asthenosphere.
 strong volcano under oceans are reason of tsunami only.
«Mountains growth»... Very dangerous and dreadful geoforces hides behind this term. On the colloquial language, this is only mark of future geocatastrophe similar to the Biblical flood. «Mountains growth»... means catastrophic strenuously between platforms are increasing.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
continental drift.
« Reply #7 on: 19/09/2007 02:47:26 »
    Small geocatastrophes are the result of aggregation state changes under crust and into cracks of the crust too. Global defect of volume into the asthenosphere causes very slowly vertical displacement of lithosphere plates. Between plates creaks step by step are opening. Into the cracks between lithosphere plates magma slowly flows in, so that enormous intrusive bodies can to form. During hardening they cause global defect of volume into cracks. Colossal tension between plates occurs as the result. This result creates horizontal and vertical displacements between plate’s cracks and there are creating new free volumes. Tension into active cracks increases, permanent displacement, and interactions between plates are reason of earthquakes and volcanoes. Additional asthenosphere masses flow into free volume of creaks. Some plate submerging slowly and some one grow up. Asthenosphere masses sometimes reach even the Earth crust surface (volcanoes). Plate’s horizontal displacement towards each other during the last one million years was prevented many times. At this time ocean bed undergoes colossal wave deformation. This mostly refers to Pacific Ocean bed. Global defect of volume into asthenosphere and between platforms under influence oceans and continents masses can to create powerful geoforce. This powerful geoforce is the reason of sun-Andres like movements. Vertical displacements, and additional asthenosphere masses flow into creaks. This connected with additional catastrophic strenuously between plates. For decreasing of this powerful catastrophic strenuously between platforms is necessary submerging process part of ocean beds into asthenosphere.
 strong volcano under oceans are reason of tsunami only.
«Mountains growth»... Very dangerous and dreadful geoforces hides behind this term. On the colloquial language, this is only mark of future geocatastrophe similar to the Biblical flood. «Mountains growth»... means catastrophic strenuously between platforms are increasing.

Admittedly, I am not up on my Russian geologic literature as I don't read Russian (or Georgian, either, for that matter!). But I have never been exposed to this particular theory. Especially the slowing of the plates movement towards each other  in the last Million years. The magnetic evidence suggest otherwise. Can you please give me a reference of who has publishe on these ideas and where I can find them? I would like to know where I can read them.

And welcome to the group.

Offline K.Margiani

• I only try to help of mammals kingdom.
    • View Profile
    • COSMOGEOLOGY
continental drift.
« Reply #8 on: 19/09/2007 16:55:58 »

JimBob I'm author of the new cosmogeological theory.I have sent it by E-mail for you.
who has any interest, you can read internet book.
www.cosmogeology.ge

The Naked Scientists Forum

continental drift.
« Reply #8 on: 19/09/2007 16:55:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums