The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do Butterflys have hearts?  (Read 13438 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Do Butterflys have hearts?
« on: 18/05/2007 16:55:14 »
Well hello and I am just curious as a student asked me last week and I could not say as I did not know.
Do caterpillars and Butterflies have a hearts?

If they do, what kind of fluid would be pumped through their bodies? I know there is some creamy colored fluid as I have seen it after one has sadly been smushed.. :( >:(

How do they breath?

If they have a heart does that also automatically mean they have lungs or does their heart if they have it just circulate fluid?

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2007 17:39:41 »
insects have some kind of circulatory system, but i don't think it's an actual heart like mammals. too bad i threw out all of my biology notes

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2007 17:42:20 »
I don't recollect the details, but as I recollect, they do have forced circulation, but not an organ that is anything like the heart of a vertebrate.

If I recall correctly, they absorb oxygen through their skin (because of their small size, and relatively high surface are in relation to their volume, I believe this may be sufficient).

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2007 17:45:06 »
arghh!!! we just leanred this hold on

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2007 17:45:08 »
that's what i thought

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/05/2007 17:47:08 »
butterflies have a long chambered heart that runs the length of its body on the upper side. It pumps hemolymph (which isnt the normal red color of blood) from the rear forward to shower its internal organs. It has other functions similar to our blood.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/05/2007 17:50:55 »
good job tony!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/05/2007 05:00:24 »
  TONY!!!  YAYYYYYYYYY!!!! I am so proud of you Young Man Thanks.. Thanks to George and Kadie too!

What other interesting inside parts are in a butterfly?

Offline Queequeg

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22/05/2007 16:41:07 »
Hi,
first post here.  tell you something else about insect circulatory systems- not only do they have that long, dorsal, pumping tube (heart) but many have accessory pulsatile organs at the bases of wings, antennae, and legs.  These little accessory pumps boost the hemolymph pressure to send it to the furthest reaches of the appendages.

another_someone

« Reply #9 on: 22/05/2007 17:12:22 »
Hi,
first post here.  tell you something else about insect circulatory systems- not only do they have that long, dorsal, pumping tube (heart) but many have accessory pulsatile organs at the bases of wings, antennae, and legs.  These little accessory pumps boost the hemolymph pressure to send it to the furthest reaches of the appendages.

Welcome Queequeg, and thank you for the interesting contribution.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22/05/2007 17:55:38 »
yea and welcome to the site!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #11 on: 22/05/2007 18:35:18 »
Very good Tony!!!  You are the young man!!!  Queequeg thanks alot and welcome!!!

Offline logicat5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27/05/2007 16:12:25 »
Insects have a open circulatory system rather than a closed one like mammals. In a closed system, blood is contained within veins or arteries whereas in an open one, blood travels freely. Butterflies have a heart but, if I remember correctly, it is located in the abdomen and operates a one-way flow system.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27/05/2007 17:13:09 »
Hi,

Queequeg Thank you for this information and welcome to the site.

Insects have a open circulatory system rather than a closed one like mammals. In a closed system, blood is contained within veins or arteries whereas in an open one, blood travels freely. Butterflies have a heart but, if I remember correctly, it is located in the abdomen and operates a one-way flow system.

marzipan.. Thank you and welcome .. What exactly do you mean by one way flow system do you mean it pumps it through but it stops or it just gets pumped all the way round and back through continuously???

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 27/05/2007 17:13:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums