The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can a magnet near my phone, damage it?  (Read 91477 times)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Can a magnet near my phone, damage it?
« on: 24/05/2007 21:12:11 »
If I hover a magnet over my slide phone, it goes wild. I know it isn't good for my phone, but I did it for fun. If the magnet goes close to it, the screen does the same as when the slide phone is up. If the magnet is far away again, it is just the same as the slide is slid down.

Why would it damage my phone, if it does damage it? And how?

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24/05/2007 21:43:41 »
well i know that they can do horrible things to a computer. i'm not sure about your phone

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 25/05/2007 00:28:51 »
A magnet can damage the disk (hard disk or floppy disk) in your computer because these are magnetically recorded.  It is unlikely there is very much that is magnetically susceptible in your computer (although a rapid change in magnetism can induce an electric current within the phone that might damage it - but by rapid change, I am talking about switching on a powerful electromagnet within a millisecond or so; I am not talking about moving a bar magnet closer or further away over the period of about half a second).

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #3 on: 25/05/2007 16:09:05 »
Although they do have some built in protection against weak local RF interference, a magnet would interfere a lot as its fairly strong in comparison.

The magnetic interference on the signal could cause some parts of the circuit to oscillate when they shouldn't causing a possible overload on some components and premature failure.

Bee

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 25/05/2007 16:21:03 »
Although they do have some built in protection against weak local RF interference, a magnet would interfere a lot as its fairly strong in comparison.

The magnetic interference on the signal could cause some parts of the circuit to oscillate when they shouldn't causing a possible overload on some components and premature failure.

Bee

A magnet may be strong, but if it is a constant field (no wave function), then I cannot see how it will induce oscillation?

The absolute most that I could see a constant field doing is inducing a hall effect on some capacitive components, hence maybe slightly shifting their resonant frequency a bit.

I would agree with you totally if we are talking about an oscillating magnetic field, particularly if that oscillation is in the RF band.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #5 on: 25/05/2007 18:01:28 »
A magnet will not induce oscillation itself but will have an affect on those parts that already are oscillating as Seany has already mentioned, his phone goes wild. Mind you, he didn't mention if this affected the sound or reception at all. ;)

The magnet can cause an unwanted frequency shift in the oscillators coils and inductors that work in the RF band. If the shift was large enough and not calculated for it could cause a higher current drain in parts and damage to components. Mobile phones are very sensitive, operate at high frequency RF and if I remember right its the lower frequencies that require more power. So, suddenly changing from a high freq and low drain to a low freq and high drain could damage component that are not designed for it.

Bee

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 25/05/2007 21:49:15 »
The magnet can cause an unwanted frequency shift in the oscillators coils and inductors that work in the RF band.

How so?

Are you suggesting that the core in the coils/inductors is reaching saturation?

Otherwise, I cannot see that a non-oscilating magnetic field will be able to induce a current, so how can it effect a coil.

Ofcourse, if the phone had a voice coil speaker, that might be influenced by an external magnetic field, but I would not expect that to cause long term harm.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/05/2007 10:36:39 »
A magnet will not induce oscillation itself but will have an affect on those parts that already are oscillating as Seany has already mentioned, his phone goes wild. Mind you, he didn't mention if this affected the sound or reception at all. ;)

The magnet can cause an unwanted frequency shift in the oscillators coils and inductors that work in the RF band. If the shift was large enough and not calculated for it could cause a higher current drain in parts and damage to components. Mobile phones are very sensitive, operate at high frequency RF and if I remember right its the lower frequencies that require more power. So, suddenly changing from a high freq and low drain to a low freq and high drain could damage component that are not designed for it.

Bee

Well, the sound part. If I manually slide my phone up, it makes a sound that it is turned on. If I manually slide my phone down, it makes a sound that it is slid down.

If I hover the magnet towards it, it makes the turning on sound, even though its not slid open. If I hover the magnet away from it, it makes the sliding down sound, even though it remains still.

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 26/05/2007 13:07:08 »
Well, the sound part. If I manually slide my phone up, it makes a sound that it is turned on. If I manually slide my phone down, it makes a sound that it is slid down.

If I hover the magnet towards it, it makes the turning on sound, even though its not slid open. If I hover the magnet away from it, it makes the sliding down sound, even though it remains still.

Sounds to me like there might be some magnetic sensors used to detect where the cover is, and they are being fooled by the external magnetic field.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26/05/2007 13:16:32 »
Hmmm... Oh.. So when the phone slides up, a magnet attached to the slide mechanism is detected by magnetic sensors, which tells them whether it is slid up or down?

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 26/05/2007 14:54:47 »
Hmmm... Oh.. So when the phone slides up, a magnet attached to the slide mechanism is detected by magnetic sensors, which tells them whether it is slid up or down?

I cannot say if this is so, but from what you describe, it seems a plausible explanation.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26/05/2007 15:13:26 »
Hmm.. Ok ;) Thanks

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28/05/2007 06:32:46 »
seany, i have to ask... you asked this question and then you got a new phone very shortly after... the magnet didn't break your other phone did it?

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28/05/2007 12:19:49 »
Nope, it didn't. I used the magnet a couple of months ago, and never did it again, as my dad told me not to ;D

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #14 on: 28/05/2007 14:40:59 »
Seany- where I work I walk by magnets all the time and my phone does the same thing you are describing. 6 months and no damage. I am pretty sure that there is a magnetic sensor that is broken when the phone is opened, thereby causing the opening sound, but if you get another magnet that close to it the magnet sensor shifts and the phone thinks that it is being opened. I'm probably not right but its a thought.

Another point, dont forget that there is a magnet inside the speakers on the phone!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28/05/2007 16:59:20 »
Hmmm.. OK, thanks. Where do you work?

Offline benep

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28/05/2007 17:55:43 »
depends on how strong the magnet is but i put a magnet beside my phone and nothing happens but it was a weak magnet so my advice would be ---dont put a strong magnet next to it ;) ---

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28/05/2007 17:59:43 »
Thanks for your advice. :-\ Heehee

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #18 on: 28/05/2007 18:30:11 »
Saeany I work at a video store (among other places) and our movies are locked in the cases by magents, so the case opener is essentially a big magnet, and whenever I walk by it I hear the bubble noise of my phone opening

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28/05/2007 18:57:46 »
AHhh.. That is cool. ;)

paul.fr

« Reply #20 on: 29/05/2007 20:48:14 »

Sounds to me like there might be some magnetic sensors used to detect where the cover is, and they are being fooled by the external magnetic field.

There is a sensor in the phone, but i am not sure if it is magnetic. I have some old phones and when time permits i will strip one to see. What you may find is that the magnet wipes you phones hard drive / memory and or data card.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29/05/2007 21:10:41 »
But it isn't a hard drive... Well.. It's a micro sd card which is in mine.. which is basically a flash card.. Would a magnet affect a flash card?

Oh, and thanks for stripping your phone. ;) Well, in the near future!

paul.fr

« Reply #22 on: 29/05/2007 21:34:20 »
You have some form of computer inside you phone, that has a built in solid state or flash drive, plus your additional card. These can be wiped by a magnet.

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #23 on: 30/05/2007 17:41:42 »
But isnt there a magnet in the speaker of the phone? Why doesnt that magnet wipe out the memory?

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30/05/2007 17:42:53 »
Too weak a magnet?? Oh I don't know!! :P

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 30/05/2007 17:42:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums