The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can a magnet near my phone, damage it?  (Read 91360 times)

paul.fr

Can a magnet near my phone, damage it?
« Reply #25 on: 30/05/2007 17:43:34 »
But isnt there a magnet in the speaker of the phone? Why doesnt that magnet wipe out the memory?

it is may too small to cause any damage.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30/05/2007 17:44:04 »
So how strong would it have to be?

paul.fr

« Reply #27 on: 30/05/2007 17:50:17 »

do you have an old tape recorder? look how small the magnet is that deletes/records on to the tape, it is pretty small.

to wipe or corrupt a flash drive, i think a fridge magnet could do the job if place on to it. i will try and wipe some memory sticks with magnets when i get home.

another_someone

« Reply #28 on: 31/05/2007 02:55:44 »

do you have an old tape recorder? look how small the magnet is that deletes/records on to the tape, it is pretty small.

to wipe or corrupt a flash drive, i think a fridge magnet could do the job if place on to it. i will try and wipe some memory sticks with magnets when i get home.

Do try - I will be interested in the result, since flash memory is supposed to be an electric charge device, unlike a tape recording, which is a magnetic recording device.

I would also add that the erase head on a tape recorder is not only extremely close to the recording media (actually in contact with it), but actually uses an oscillating magnetic field rather than constant magnetic field you would get on a permanent magnet (I am not saying that the tape would be impervious to a constant magnetic field, but is more susceptible to an oscillating field, so the deletion can be done more completely, and with a lower flux, than would be necessary with a permanent magnet).

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31/05/2007 09:20:13 »

Make a backup!! ;)

paul.fr

« Reply #30 on: 31/05/2007 14:50:47 »

Do try - I will be interested in the result, since flash memory is supposed to be an electric charge device, unlike a tape recording, which is a magnetic recording device.

I would also add that the erase head on a tape recorder is not only extremely close to the recording media (actually in contact with it), but actually uses an oscillating magnetic field rather than constant magnetic field you would get on a permanent magnet (I am not saying that the tape would be impervious to a constant magnetic field, but is more susceptible to an oscillating field, so the deletion can be done more completely, and with a lower flux, than would be necessary with a permanent magnet).

I realised my error as i posted, but what the hck we all mak mistakes. so i left it, it also has contradictions in just two lines! Oh well. Any way, i thought i would give it a try anyway.

USB Flash drive, no damage or corruption of the data from either a small or large (1 inch square) fridge magnet. SD Memory card, no change with fridge magnets of any size.

Then i sat them on a speaker magnet, no change with the usb flash drive. sd card corrupted.

another_someone

« Reply #31 on: 01/06/2007 12:35:52 »
Then i sat them on a speaker magnet, no change with the usb flash drive. sd card corrupted.

Are you talking about simply resting it on a permenant magnet from a speaker, or are you talking about a loadspeaker that was actually being used (and thus have an oscillating magnetic field driving the speaker)?

paul.fr

« Reply #32 on: 01/06/2007 14:54:05 »
I actually tried it with the speaker on, no change, then placed it directly on the magnet and it was corrupted! Does it mean anything?

It was afterall an old card, and doing both could have been a factor. I did not have another spare to do one on each so perhaps it was a factor that both were done on the same card. So the result may not actally count for anything! (sad face icon)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08/12/2010 04:30:47 »
Blackberry uses a small magnet as a display on/off switch.

I have a cell phone case that uses a flexible "refrigerator type" magnet as a closure.

I'm not sure about using a really big magnet next to your cell phone, but a small magnet won't do a lot.  I would leave the cell phone behind if you are getting an MRI.  A touch display, or pressure on the display may be problematic too, but most modern phones are quite robust.

As far as drives.  Your hard drive will have an electric motor developing a magnetic field, and well as a magnet in the arm. 

I have an electronic degausser.  It takes a pretty gnarly magnet to wipe a hard drive.  And, the power of the magnet falls off with the distance, so if you are 1/2" from the platter, it will take quite a bit.  I wouldn't worry about ordinary household magnets around your computer. 

Old floppies and tapes are weaker than the hard drive magnets, and you can actually touch the recording media.  You might be able to damage them with a good sized permanent magnet.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #34 on: 08/12/2010 22:49:38 »
I think it very unlikely that you'll cause any permanent damage to a normal mobile phone by putting small magnets near it.
I might define "small" as in any magnet which, if it sticks to something, you can pull off with two fingers (or finger plus thumb).

If you had a really strong magnet then you might damage the magnet in the earpiece/speaker and permanently reduce the volume and/or cuase distortion. A really big magnet might literally pull things apart inside the phone.

It does very much sound as if your phone uses a Hall Effect sensor or reed switch to know when it's open or closed. If you have an iPhone with built in (solid-state) compass you can really confuse that by putting a magnet near it. Again as long as the magnet is small (as per my definition above) you're exceedingly unlikely to do any permanent harm.

Offline maffsolo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09/12/2010 03:36:34 »

If you had a really strong magnet then you might damage the magnet in the earpiece/speaker and permanently reduce the volume and/or cuase distortion. A really big magnet might literally pull things apart inside the phone.

I thought Cell phone uses piezoelectric device interface

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09/12/2010 16:39:54 »
 a cellphone  has at least 3 magnets in it, one in the earpiece, one in the external speaker and another one in the vibrator motor. A strong fiels will damage the phone, or if it is strong enough ( if you are so moronic that you will take it into a MRI scanner room it will be ripped to shreds) it will demagnetise these magnets.

As to digital media, a CF card can be a small hard drive ( or an original iPod can be as well) but most nowdays are reliant on storage via flash memory, most of which relies on storing charge inside an insulator inside the chip. These are unaffected by a magnetic field unless it can actually induce sufficient current into the system to burn it out. Other types use ferromagnetic solid state storage, which can be erased with a magnet. Those will have a warning in the original instructions somewhere.

Offline WarlockInd

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Can a magnet near my phone, damage it?
« Reply #37 on: 25/10/2013 04:21:09 »
What about the magnet on my phone case?

Offline MrVat7

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21/01/2014 22:58:11 »
My touchscreen got malfunctioned by a magnet.

Offline AdrianJC

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25/01/2014 20:11:17 »

A lot stronger than newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdVqy3Il_mg [nonactive]. Commercial MRI machines use a non-oscillating magnetic field of about 1 to 3 newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_%28unit%29 [nonactive] in strength.

However, an oscillating magnetic field of sufficient magnitude and frequency could potentially induce high potentials and generate eddy currents within the cellphone's electronics as to cause damage. I would not try charging a mobile phone by newbielink:http://chasetechnology.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/induction-cooker-can-charge-lumia-920.html [nonactive].

Offline Greyebrage

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08/12/2014 09:34:32 »
This blog posts attempts at explaining that you really need a very large magnet to really do any damage, and it goes through each component...
newbielink:http://blog.imagnetmount.com/why-magnets-wont-damage-your-smartphone-electronics-and-data/ [nonactive]

In this video, this guy has a large magnet around the phone, kinda funny vid.

Offline Oceanbliss

• [no spam links please]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16/12/2014 08:23:22 »
It probably depends on how powerful your magnet is... I once put it on my monitor and it caused weird psychedelic behaviors... not my monitor is a drug addict because all it sees is colors... Seriously... its un useable... because i did it for too long haha

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #41 on: 16/12/2014 08:23:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums