The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What makes Shampoo bubbly?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
What makes Shampoo bubbly?
« on: 27/05/2007 13:28:15 »
What are the substances that make shampoos bubbly? How is it able to go all foamy and bubbly, and increases the surface area of it?

Is there a reaction? Or simply that air gets trapped in the middle?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/05/2007 20:25:40 »
Well When you have water and soap on your hand, You immediately put your other hand against the soapy area and apply pressure pushing out in the direction of the surface of the skin which spreads and thins the water surface and then I believe when you  release that pressure in the backstroke or turning of your hand, back and forth motion, you create the bubbles. rubbing back and forth , stretch out thin and release pressure, pull back creating a bubble when the pressure is released.. I may be wrong but I think that is part of your answer..

I think different types of soaps, like low sudding types might worl a little differently, but I am not sure exactly how..

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/05/2007 20:28:06 »
So.. How is that back and forth motion creating the bubbles? Layers of oxygen getting trapped?

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/05/2007 20:53:47 »
and why are the bubbles always white even if the soap is green?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/05/2007 20:59:29 »
So.. How is that back and forth motion creating the bubbles? Layers of oxygen getting trapped?

I would think the release of pressure creates an air bubble, but I am no expert I only suspect that to be the cause , maybe someone else would know for sure..

Kadie I think your question was answered here a while back in the forum . try it in the science section search or the chemistry section search! go to the section of interest and place some words like color of soap bubbles white or some such thing and see what you get..!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 27/05/2007 20:59:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums