The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: It amazes me...  (Read 4752 times)

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« on: 29/05/2007 15:54:13 »
I was in my English class, and the class clown, who happens to sit behind me and use excessive amounts of profanity, was being unusually annoying.  I turned around and asked him how many words he knew that had more than 3 syllables, and he had no idea what I was talking about.  Apparently it was because he didn't know what a syllable was.  How do people let themselves get like that?

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #1 on: 29/05/2007 16:15:57 »
Me dusn't know what a syllable is!!

Tomato has 3 syllables..

Ruler has 2 syllables..

Computer has 3 syllables..

Oh, SO I DO KNOW! ;D

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #2 on: 29/05/2007 16:16:14 »
Maybe they're parents are divorced, or that they simply don't care about his life.. Nor does himself.

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #3 on: 29/05/2007 16:17:58 »
That is sad Seany, I'm serious. How can he not know what a syllable is? [V] [V]

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #4 on: 29/05/2007 16:23:46 »
Bad education.. Parents don't care.. Doesn't listen in english lessons.. Poor range of vocabulary..?

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #5 on: 29/05/2007 16:24:39 »
Complete opposite of me!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #6 on: 29/05/2007 16:31:17 »
LOL! Love the modesty there. ;)

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #7 on: 29/05/2007 16:36:00 »
Sorry about that, but it is.

another_someone

It amazes me...
« Reply #8 on: 29/05/2007 16:42:17 »
Me dusn't know what a syllable is!!

Tomato has 3 syllables..

Ruler has 2 syllables..

Computer has 3 syllables..

Oh, SO I DO KNOW! ;D

You just don't know how to spell 'doesn't' :P

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #9 on: 29/05/2007 16:42:51 »
It makes more sense spelling it that way.

another_someone

It amazes me...
« Reply #10 on: 29/05/2007 16:46:55 »
Maybe they're parents are divorced, or that they simply don't care about his life.. Nor does himself.

My parents divorced when I was 4 years old - not sure that was as much of an issue as that.

I suspect it is more that the parent(s) don't know what a syllable is either, so they do not set the right example.

A lot of it is also down to self confidence and self image.  If you don't believe you are capable of learning, then you simply don't think it worth the effort because you inherently believe the effort will fail.  If they come from a family where education has never been a successful means of achieving anything, then they will have no positive image of what might be achieved by education.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #11 on: 29/05/2007 16:49:12 »
Well.. I guess it is mostly about the individual's attitude towards education and learning. If they don't have an open-minded brain, it's hard to shove some knowledge into it.

another_someone

It amazes me...
« Reply #12 on: 29/05/2007 16:53:39 »
It makes more sense spelling it that way.

No it doesn't.

'Doesn't' is a contraction of 'does not'.

'Does' is third person singular present tense of 'do'.

So, unless you are going to spell 'do' as 'du' (and thus to spell 'does' as 'dus'), it does not make sense to spell 'doesn't' as 'dusn't'.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #13 on: 29/05/2007 16:55:51 »
Yes.. Well... Hemm.. LOL

For pronunciation!!

Dus sounds more like does.

Does sounds like Dows!!

Am I right? ;D

another_someone

It amazes me...
« Reply #14 on: 29/05/2007 17:00:23 »
Well.. I guess it is mostly about the individual's attitude towards education and learning. If they don't have an open-minded brain, it's hard to shove some knowledge into it.

But the question always remains as to what extent an individual is themselves a product of their environment (in part the old nature/nurture debate).

I don't see it as having an 'open mind' - although I suppose it depends on how one interprets that phrase.  It is rather a matter of what they feel they can gain benefit out of, and if they view themselves as losers before they start, then why will they waste effort on something they perceive as having no positive impact on their own negative self image.

Same was as I would never enter myself for an athletics competition, because my self image will tell me that I will not even get to the finish, let alone achieve anything, from such an effort.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #15 on: 29/05/2007 17:06:13 »
seany my parents divorced when i was two years old. i may be silly, but i'm not stupid. i doubt that's the problem. i know george already said something along that line, but... i said it anyway

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It amazes me...
« Reply #16 on: 29/05/2007 17:07:39 »
Yup.. Sorry.. I was just "stating" that it "could" have been a "plausible" explanation.. But.. All my divorced friends are clever aswell. ;)

another_someone

It amazes me...
« Reply #17 on: 29/05/2007 17:16:31 »
Yes.. Well... Hemm.. LOL

For pronunciation!!

Dus sounds more like does.

Does sounds like Dows!!

Am I right? ;D

English spelling is not particularly phonetic.

Then I suppose the Chinese simply duck the entire issue, they do not even try and be phonetic in their written language.

The question is, which is right, the spelling or the pronunciation.  Normally, spelling changes slower than pronunciation (although sometimes there are erroneous spelling changes based on an incorrect understanding of the history of the word), but generally, one might argue it is the pronunciation that is more wrong than the spelling.  Not least, pronunciation can vary from one part of the country to another, so unless you allow regional variations of spellings (as would have been true in Shakespear's time), then otherwise you will have to choose between having a standardised spelling, or a deviation between spelling and local dialect (another reason why the Chinese do so well in totally separating written script from spoken language, because the spoken language varies even more in a large country like China than it would in a small country like England).

If you want to look at words where the modern spelling is incorrect, look at words such as 'where, 'when, and 'what'.  These words, like many (probably most) other words in the English language that start with 'wh' were originally spelt with 'hw', which is still how we pronounce them.

The Naked Scientists Forum

It amazes me...
« Reply #17 on: 29/05/2007 17:16:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums