The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do wet clothes look darker?  (Read 5150 times)

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
Why do wet clothes look darker?
« on: 07/04/2004 04:37:00 »
Someone asked the other day why wet clothes are darker than when they are dry. I just gave a quick answer something like the light can't reflect as well as it can when they are wet not really putting any thought into it. But it got me curious as to what real reason is would it be anything along those lines or completely different?

I'm born. I'm alive. I breathe. In a moment or two I realize that the sphere upon which I reside is asleep on its feet. Should I go back to sleep?
« Last Edit: 11/03/2011 08:39:38 by chris »

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why do wet clothes look darker?
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/2004 22:56:15 »
Here's my theory:

The water makes a microscopic layer on the fabric.  This makes a boundary that the light has to penetrate before reaching the fabric.  Then after the light reflects off the fabric, it has to pass through the water again.  At the boundary with the air, the light is partially reflected back toward the fabric and more is absorbed.  So, between what is scattered from the surface of the water in the first place, and what is "caught" in the layer of water, more light is absorbed than is normally the case.  Thus the surface appears darker.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/04/2004 22:56:15 »
Here's my theory:

The water makes a microscopic layer on the fabric.  This makes a boundary that the light has to penetrate before reaching the fabric.  Then after the light reflects off the fabric, it has to pass through the water again.  At the boundary with the air, the light is partially reflected back toward the fabric and more is absorbed.  So, between what is scattered from the surface of the water in the first place, and what is "caught" in the layer of water, more light is absorbed than is normally the case.  Thus the surface appears darker.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline amanda25

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/03/2011 06:24:43 »
I agree with you ,you are very good.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 11/03/2011 06:24:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines