The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Blackholes are a shortcut into hyperspace!  (Read 5173 times)

paul.fr

Blackholes are a shortcut into hyperspace!
« on: 01/06/2007 14:48:32 »
This s a picture of a hyperspace jumpgate, as featured in the best si-fi programme ever...Babylon 5

Now i am sure this is not a new theory but i could not find any info searching the site.

So, what if blackholes are actually a portal into hyperspace! Effectively they are a ahortcut for travel throughout the solar system, how would that work?

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2007 16:04:43 »
Whether we are talking about black holes, or anything else, if there are folds in space that allow you take a short cut in one way, and a long route around another way, then:

Firstly, they would have to be fairly large if you are to survive passing through them.  If they were too small, then it would require a very steep bending of space, and this will almost certainly spaghettify you as you pass through it.

Secondly, these should be visible (i.e. you should be able to see the same object from two different directions, in the same way as you do with gravitational lenses, except that while the age of the two images of the objects seen through gravitational lenses is approximately similar, there should be a marked difference in the age of the object seen through the portal and that seen outside of the portal).  Thus, if these things exist in the universe, we should be able to point our telescopes at them, and prove they were there.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2007 16:33:12 by another_someone »

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 01/06/2007 21:33:26 »
Whether we are talking about black holes, or anything else, if there are folds in space that allow you take a short cut in one way, and a long route around another way, then:

Firstly, they would have to be fairly large if you are to survive passing through them.  If they were too small, then it would require a very steep bending of space, and this will almost certainly spaghettify you as you pass through it.

This is why i prefer hyperspace to wormholes, wormholes (IIRC) are thin but hyperspace is very large and wide.

Secondly, these should be visible (i.e. you should be able to see the same object from two different directions, in the same way as you do with gravitational lenses, except that while the age of the two images of the objects seen through gravitational lenses is approximately similar, there should be a marked difference in the age of the object seen through the portal and that seen outside of the portal).  Thus, if these things exist in the universe, we should be able to point our telescopes at them, and prove they were there.

erm...now in the tv show, the jumpgate is not visable. It has a location beacon and the gate itself, the gate is activated and opened with a large electrical input (ish). Now suppose that as now, we can not see through the blackhole. But, once the jumpgate is activated you can!

Upon activation, the jumpgate rips open the blackhole!!! does that work?

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 01/06/2007 22:11:28 »
I am not about to try and prove science fiction programs provide a basis for plausible science - made the more difficult because I do not have a TV.

We cannot see through a black hole, which is why it is black - but if one is supposed to come out the other side, that would require a white hole.  Thus, even if one were to suppose we can only go through this portal in one direction, then it should still require that light can travel in that direction (if we can come back through it in the other direction, then so can light).

If you are suggesting that these portals can be opened by artificial means, then you are suggesting that this artificial means has the capability to reshape large areas of space, and if you have that much energy available, you are pretty much omnipotent.  Furthermore, if you, in all of a few minutes, are capable of reshaping space in such a major way, the disruptive effect on other local bodies that are wondering through space as it was would be extremely disruptive, and are likely to be extremely damaging.

I would suggest we do not try and pretend that science fiction is anything but fiction rather than science.

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 01/06/2007 22:41:56 »
I am not about to try and prove science fiction programs provide a basis for plausible science - made the more difficult because I do not have a TV.

Me neither, the jumpgate is fiction from the programme.

We cannot see through a black hole, which is why it is black - but if one is supposed to come out the other side, that would require a white hole.  Thus, even if one were to suppose we can only go through this portal in one direction, then it should still require that light can travel in that direction (if we can come back through it in the other direction, then so can light).

If you are suggesting that these portals can be opened by artificial means, then you are suggesting that this artificial means has the capability to reshape large areas of space, and if you have that much energy available, you are pretty much omnipotent.  Furthermore, if you, in all of a few minutes, are capable of reshaping space in such a major way, the disruptive effect on other local bodies that are wondering through space as it was would be extremely disruptive, and are likely to be extremely damaging.

What if we had the capability and technology to rip open parts of space, and that part of space was a blackhole? Would that provide us with a means of travel to the next hole, which we then rip open for our exit!
« Last Edit: 01/06/2007 22:48:52 by paul.fr »

Offline @@

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/06/2007 00:30:15 »
the larger the mass the larger the gravity. a black hole is just a star with massive gravity, i cant understand this notion passing through one and coming out somewhere else in the universe. wouldnt you just get squished and become part of its core.

and as for worm holes :( dont start me :)   

Offline Ashtari

• The truth will set you free
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/06/2007 11:00:45 »
paul.fr

Good morning - Could you please re-post the picture in your initial message.  It is not loading.  One goes to 'additional Options' Diagrams 'create a new diagram' etc.... see below - the picture only loads once you post the item...   

Just in case you were struggling like I initially was   ;)

Pse see my topic on aliens and dimensions.  We seem to have something in common.

Ashtari

Offline the environmentalist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/09/2007 21:37:46 »
If it were possible to rip a hole in matter and come out somewhere else:
1:this would probably be bad for the environment in some way
2: we would need another dimension to reside in (eg, time, but then you might come out in the past and not be able to tell anyone that it works)
just a thought

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 19/09/2007 21:37:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums