The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is "Marrow ache" - the leg discomfort?  (Read 4254 times)

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
What is "Marrow ache" - the leg discomfort?
« on: 04/06/2007 07:54:48 »
Sometimes when I'm lying in bed in the evening, I get a sort of internal bone pain in my legs, that feels like an ache at the core of the bone, in the marrow. It only happens at night, ie, not in the morning after waking, and it only happens in one leg at a time. If I move the leg, the pain goes almost instantly, but it's quite uncomfortable when it's there. Any ideas?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/2007 07:44:20 »
Gosh - noone?

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2007 09:54:44 »
Like other aspecific symptoms,
bone aches range from nothing
to worry about (most of the cases)
to awful and dreadful diseases...
That's probably why nobody likes
to discuss this painful topic!

ikothesis

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/06/2007 12:00:44 »
Vitamin D deficiency is one of the many
causes of bone pains (repetita juvant!)
...Talking about obsessions!

Persistent limb pain and raised serum alkaline phosphatase
the earliest markers of subclinical hypovitaminosis D in Kashmir.

Masood H, Narang AP, Bhat IA, Shah GN.
Department of Neonatology, Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar.

The present study was an attempt to assess the cause of persistent pain in lower limbs among children from Kashmir. The study was conducted on one hundred children attending Paediatric out-patient department of Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar. All the children were in the age group of 5 to 14 years. They showed markedly raised levels of serum alkaline phosphatase, whereas serum phosphorus, serum calcium levels and antistreptolycin O-titres were normal in 93% cases. None of them had any rheumatic or rheumatoid pathology. Among 15 suspected clinical rickets only three were established radiologically. Dietary and socio-economic history revealed deficient vitamin D intake and less exposure to sun. It was hypothesized that sub-clinical vitamin D deficiency could be a major cause of persistent pain in lower limbs and raised serum alkaline phosphatase could be the earliest marker of vitamin D deficiency. It was confirmed by injecting single dose of vitamin D (3 lac I. U.) which relieved bone pain and lowered the levels of serum alkaline phosphatase to normal within 14 weeks of initiation of therapy.

Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 1989 Oct-Dec;33(4):259-61.

« Last Edit: 05/06/2007 12:03:29 by iko »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/06/2007 13:02:31 »
I'm off to buy lots of cod liver oil!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/06/2007 14:07:31 »
Wait!
Too much cod is not so good
for you (look at poor ikod!).
It would be more scientific
to consider first your diet,
recent past sunlight exposure
...and vitamin D plasma levels

Take care

ikod  ;)

P.S.
Actually, a bit of CLO is good anyway,
it has ALWAYS been like that!

Thank you rosy,
I want to strenghten this point:
in the pre-antibiotic Age, just
a couple of generations before us,
this was a very serious issue.
Not following these simple recom-
-mendations could have made the
difference between survival and
death.

Never forget the old-wives!     Allow me a citation...repetita juvant!

...little bits from vitamindcouncil.com
just a 'basic' website for this topic!
Bits Of Wisdom: Those 'old wives' might be on to something

For many years, the "old wives" have been ridiculed as superstitious know-nothings.
Now science seems about to vindicate them.
The old wives maintained that a dose of cod-liver oil would do a body good.
Many children dreaded it because it tasted so awful. But come the dark days of winter, mothers and grandmothers insisted that all family members should hold their noses and swallow a spoonful of cod-liver oil.
During the past 20 years, this practice has gone the way of the manual typewriter.
Few children get cod-liver oil these days.
Doctors don't recommend it because it seems like such an unscientific relic of the past.
The vitamin D that is abundant in cod-liver oil has numerous health benefits though, especially in the winter. That's because levels of vitamin D frequently drop when people are not exposing their skin to the sun.
Cold, dreary weather and diminished sunlight can create borderline vitamin D deficiency in a surprising number of people. In Boston, 42 percent of people studied had too little vitamin D in winter. In Calgary, Canada, almost no one maintains adequate vitamin D in the winter.

In 2005, a psychiatrist who treated his patients for vitamin D deficiency noticed something odd. Influenza hit hard at the Atascadero State Hospital, a maximum-security psychiatric hospital. His ward was spared, with not a single person catching the flu, even though they had been exposed to the virus just like everyone else. The psychiatrist wondered whether the vitamin D he had prescribed had anything to do with their immunity.
This question led to an interesting review of research and a credible hypothesis.
Studies in the past 70 years hint at a connection between vitamin D and overall immunity.

The active form of vitamin D greatly increases the body's production of a natural infection-fighting chemical called cathelicidin. Cathelicidin seems to help fight off illnesses caused by bacteria, fungi and viruses, including influenza.
This might help explain why people are more susceptible to colds and flu in the winter. If their vitamin D levels drop, so does their production of cathelicidin and their overall resistance to infection.

Vitamin D also appears to have anti-cancer activity. People who get regular sun exposure are less susceptible to common cancers that affect the colon, breast, prostate, ovaries and lungs. Even conditions like multiple sclerosis, arthritis and Type 2 diabetes are less common in people with ample vitamin D levels.

Vitamin D has long been associated with stronger bones, but there is also research showing that it contributes to stronger muscles and fewer falls in the elderly.

The old wives did not have sophisticated scientific tools or methods, but they were skilled observers.

It's fascinating when the scientists supply the explanation behind their wisdom.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149191909636&path=!living&s=1037645509005

« Last Edit: 05/06/2007 14:14:13 by iko »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/06/2007 14:13:43 »
Hi iko

thanks for the feedback and advice! I already eat a lot of oily fish and get my dose of the sun, so in all honesty, I'm not sure that its Vit D....definately not rickets! What about circulation?

I'm a bit new - what happened with your cod? Or shouldn't I ask?

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/06/2007 14:51:15 »
Hi dentstudent,

you mean 'poor ikod'?
I'm just joking, 'cause I wrote lots of topics
and posts about cod, cod liver oil and things.
Perhaps too many...I'm overspecialized anyway.

ikod

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 05/06/2007 14:51:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums