The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: +++THE ARGUMENT AREA+++  (Read 8361 times)

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
+++THE ARGUMENT AREA+++
« Reply #25 on: 06/06/2007 15:46:15 »
Maybe, just maybe, the relatives of all the people in the foreign city that you just destroyed may now have good cause to come and seek their own justice upon you - is that really what you regard as protection?

I was not saying the decision I was implicating, nor that the situation was actually valid.  i was only Implying that when running somthing on such a large scale, you will be faced with impossible decisions that are impossible to face.

As for people wanting to run their own country - is that not what democracy is about - if you don't believe that ordinary people should be running their own country, then does that mean you do not believe in democracy?  Should not the government of a nation be answerable to its people, and if the people think they got it wrong, then should not the people have a right to say so?

democracy works because of the total decisions of the people, not of just an individual.  If it was about the individual, then he would indeed not be able to run the country.  Even for the president, there is congress to accept or decline the decisions that he may make.

Indeed, there is a long tradition, going back at least as far as Plato, in suggesting that democracy is a bad idea because ordinary people are not experts in running a country, and so should have no say in the matter.  While that might possibly have some validity in the matter, it has to nonetheless be remembered that both in the UK and in the USA, the present political leaders were elected by a supposed mandate of the people, and if the populace has no right to give such a mandate, then the people who gained power through such a mandate should not be the one's in power anyway.

The thing is, people do have a right to make that mandate, because it is the core of the country, and the majority of people usually have enough sense to know what is better for them when they are given a choice to bring to the booths.

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
+++THE ARGUMENT AREA+++
« Reply #26 on: 06/06/2007 15:51:26 »
YAY IM GETTING AN ARGUMENT GONIG

Go feel proud, but this is a debate. Most topics on this site are. So congrats for being a troller.

Forget it, i ain't posting on this trollers topic anymore.  [xx(]

The Naked Scientists Forum

+++THE ARGUMENT AREA+++
« Reply #26 on: 06/06/2007 15:51:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length