The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How dangerous is uv light?  (Read 3801 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
How dangerous is uv light?
« on: 05/06/2007 17:16:17 »
I've been to nightclubs where they've used uv lighting, but no-one has ever advised me to wear sunblock when I do. Yet we're being told to wear it even on days that aren't particularly sunny.

So, how much uv is considered dangerous & what, by comparison, is the output of nightclub uv lights?

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/2007 17:53:42 »
Depends on the frequency. UV's a big range... the stuff used in nightclubs is pretty "soft" (low energy) I believe.

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2007 18:47:40 »
Ofcourse, you can get all obsessed about avoiding sunlight, and end up with vitamin D deficiency (for which Enrico will sell you some cod liver oil).

Sunlight (including UV) is like so much else in life, it is dangerous in excess, and just as dangerous in insufficiency.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/06/2007 21:54:05 »
I totally agree. We get so many scare stories these days. I get particularly concerned about the "eat less salt" hype. I've seen lots of cases of desalination among tourists in Africa because they're afraid to take salt with their food.

And, as you say, sunshine in moderation is good for you.

Incidentally, and this isn't totally removed from this thread, I see the British government is going to spend 10 million on advertising aimed at teenage drinkers, binge drinkers, & middle-class wine drinkers. "Middle-class" wine drinkers? Someone is having a laugh!

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 05/06/2007 22:27:56 »
I totally agree. We get so many scare stories these days. I get particularly concerned about the "eat less salt" hype. I've seen lots of cases of desalination among tourists in Africa because they're afraid to take salt with their food.

And, as you say, sunshine in moderation is good for you.

Incidentally, and this isn't totally removed from this thread, I see the British government is going to spend 10 million on advertising aimed at teenage drinkers, binge drinkers, & middle-class wine drinkers. "Middle-class" wine drinkers? Someone is having a laugh!

Warning labels on alcohol and such like. What a waste of time and money. Middle class wine drinkers, eh, don't "we" now drink more wine than beer in the home? it's also considered middle class to listen to radio 4!

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 09/06/2007 23:33:06 »
Lighting levels in clubs are very low, so probably nothing to worry about. You could tell if it were dangerous 'cos you would begin to get a suntan if you went regularly.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 09/06/2007 23:33:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length