The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Scientific Publications  (Read 11949 times)

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
Re: Scientific Publications
« Reply #25 on: 26/04/2004 07:21:27 »
True, i'm not saying that we shouildn't do science simply for the advancement of human knowledge, just that we do nee to take into consideration what we are spending money on reseraching as there are so many things that we have a dirrect need for knowledge of.

We don't want the loonies taking over!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26/04/2004 16:06:23 »
Very good points Chris.  The Impact of the article and the journal are certainly a factor that can be taken into account by the University selection committee.  Also, if the authors were paying for the publishing, then the journals would be available for free, which would probably increase the readership (probably only a little) by allowing scientists with a tangential interest to read articles without paying a fee.  Some can't or won't pay the fee for a journal outside their research topic on the off chance that something of interest will pop up.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27/04/2004 06:55:39 »
I think this system would fit in well with the increase in journals that are in purely online form, as more people would do individual paper searching instead of flipping through certain journals.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27/04/2004 18:47:20 »
I haven't had cause to really search scientific literature for many years, but I understand that most work is published on the internet before it gets to the print version, often before the "peer review" phase is complete.  It seems this would add to the overall confusion of too many papers and which are "good" and which are "premature" or just plain bad.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27/04/2004 23:41:48 »
it makes it SO much easier to find papers that are relevant to your needs though.  although it is very frustrating when you can find the perfect paper, but then find out that your institution doesn't have online access to that journal!

Online chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #30 on: 28/04/2004 01:15:31 »
John - you wouldn't want to pre-publish your research on the web before review was over because a) you might breach journal embargo regulations, b) others might nick your ideas and there would be nothing you could do about it.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Broca

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12/08/2004 16:42:47 »

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24/01/2005 21:17:47 »
On the subject of publications again...  I've been working on my first one for quite a while now.  I've been SO close for SO long, but wrapping up the last few details to have a quality paper is SO painsatking...  it seems like the last 5% of the work requires about 90% of the total effort.  Its drivin me nuts (but I like it!!!! [:o)])
Just a warning to any budding scientists out there.... be prepared for this!! [:p]

I'm sure once I get the paper out I'll be quite eager to show it off to everyone (so be prepared for that as well) [:p]

That's no moon.... its a GRAPEFRUIT!!!!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #32 on: 24/01/2005 21:17:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums