The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Miracles and Science - The How and the What  (Read 12242 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Miracles and Science - The How and the What
« Reply #25 on: 05/08/2007 09:46:01 »
Surely the point is why did the writers of the new testament feel it appropriate to include these rather ridiculous miracle stories in their account of the life of Jesus.
Were they writing for the gullible who would really believe these things or was it that some of the other things ascribed to him were so strange that (Virgin birth, surviving Crucifixion, physical accession etc) that he had to be depicted as as some strange wizard instead of a run of mill Jewish reformist preacher.   
« Last Edit: 05/08/2007 10:08:14 by syhprum »

Offline johnbrandy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20/08/2007 21:40:31 »
The author, Carlo Suares, wrote a play entitled, "The Passion of Judas." I read this play about forty years ago and do not recall most of the details. One thing that sticks out in my memory  was a discussion about miracles. There were several spectacular examples  of miracles cited from the bible. One of the characters in the play tiring of this subject stated, "Miracle, that is a word that has no meaning. If a thing is made, it is because there is a means by which to make it. So if I have to cry miracle every time I do not understand how a thing is made, than I must cry miracle when I look at a drop of water, or a speck of dust." This is an approximate quotation that captures the spirit of the statement. In essences, we call "things" miracles because we do not understand the means by which they are made. If we were privy to such means, they would not be view as miracles. I offer this for your consideration. Thank you.
« Last Edit: 22/08/2007 17:40:52 by johnbrandy »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #27 on: 21/08/2007 04:00:16 »
lord tawny stapleford

Nice Name.

LORD Beaver is he a friend of yours.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16/11/2011 19:11:30 »
I always figured that when people saw that Jesus was willing to share everything he had with so many, some of the cheap assholes in the crowd probably felt embarassed and went home and brought back some more fish and bread. Which is almost like a miracle.
« Last Edit: 16/11/2011 19:15:56 by cheryl j »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03/12/2011 05:09:57 »
It's a quite fishy subject this.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03/12/2011 09:07:05 »
Well...  some of the "Miracles" are easy enough to explain.

Joseph, of course, was Mary's boyfriend at the time she got pregnant.

There have many young girls who have refused to admit to their parents how they got pregnant...  or in some cases, refused to even tell their supposed boyfriends.

If only they had paternity tests 2000 years ago, I'm doubtful they would have had to ask for a DNA sample from GOD!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 03/12/2011 09:07:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums