The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Obesity: why?  (Read 2531 times)

lyner

Obesity: why?
« on: 08/06/2007 23:20:47 »
The simple approach to eating and weight is that if you eat too much, you get fat and if you don't eat enough, you lose weight.
BUT, most people are nothing like  well organised  enough to keep their weight stable, consciously,  in the long term.
'They' tell us that you can't excrete excess carbohydrates (etc.) but just lay down fat for leaner times.
I can't help feeling that there must be a regulatory  mechanism, on top of that, which keeps our weight more or less stable. Does it really just rely on appetite?
It's reasonable to observe that lions only chase prey when they are hungry and cows stop grazing when they have had enough. Is it just the macdonalds effect that causes humans to over indulge- living to eat, rather than eating to live?
It seems too much like a knife edge  situation if there is no other regulation in our systems.
Is there not something more than cheap/ available food at work in our society?

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 07/07/2007 01:51:05 »
One thing we can say is that it is nothing peculiarly human, because our pets get obese as well.

Modern domestic farm animals raised for meet production are in fact endemically obese, because they that way we get more meat from them (and if that obesity reduces their natural life expectancy, does it really matter - when did you hear of a cow raised for meat production dying of old age anyway?).

In humans, there are numerous medical conditions that can effect weight.  Many diseases can cause weight loss, but others can cause weight gain.  One of the most common conditions that can cause weight gain is hypothyroidism.

Incidentally - is a blue whale clinically obese?  How do you tell?

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 07/07/2007 15:34:48 »
Do we not put on weight as we get older, and less active anyway?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2007 15:43:58 »
Obesity is, in my understanding, mainly caused by stress. The body cannot differentiate between stress produced by actual "threat" and the threats manufactured in the mind.

The stess factor is, according to several papers I have read, the main problem.

Thus, I am reducing stress (meditating, making a conscious decision not to worry, etc.) and, believe it or not, my weight has been slowly going down. This in spite of my arthritis preventing a large amount of exercise.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/07/2007 15:46:58 »

Incidentally - is a Blue Whale clinically obese?  How do you tell?

Simple: look at the BWBMIndex chart.  ;D

...problem is measuring and weighting the beast!

ikod
« Last Edit: 07/07/2007 15:51:03 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/07/2007 20:24:41 »
Obesity is, in my understanding, mainly caused by stress. The body cannot differentiate between stress produced by actual "threat" and the threats manufactured in the mind.

The stess factor is, according to several papers I have read, the main problem.

Thus, I am reducing stress (meditating, making a conscious decision not to worry, etc.) and, believe it or not, my weight has been slowly going down. This in spite of my arthritis preventing a large amount of exercise.

I have found this to be very true! My doctors are in complete agreement about stress and weight management as well as other physical health problems!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 07/07/2007 20:24:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums