The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: a question about eyesight  (Read 3860 times)

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
a question about eyesight
« on: 10/06/2007 07:02:34 »
i am nearsighted. my eye doctor told me that he thinks it would help if i "exercise my eyes" and try to not wear my glasses or contacts for a while each day. all that this accomplishes is giving me a horrible headache and causing me to bump into things. has my doctor lost his mind, or does this actually help anything?

Offline Raliel

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/2007 11:52:59 »
the muscles that control the shape of the eye, are getting excercised, which should allow them to perform better.... the headaches are caused by this excersise mus=ch in the same way you legs ache after a good run

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/06/2007 13:46:21 »
I'm also shortsighted so you have my sympathy. I'm pretty sure that the eye, when relaxed, focuses at "infinity" or as close as it can. In my case that's about 4 inches in front of me. Anything beyond that is out of focus. If I use the muscles of my eyes to focus I can see things that are nearer than 4". Without my glasses practically everything is beyond my far point and there's nothing the muscles in my eyes can do about it. In principle they should just stay relaxed the whole time; hardly an exercise regimen. I think the headaches are due to the muscles wasting effort trying to focus. It's a hopeless task but they can't know any better. Any exercise may make the muscles stronger but this will just improve the abillity to focus on close objects; not something you need if you are already nearsighted.
I think you need a second opinion (and not from me, but from someone who knows about it.)

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/06/2007 17:58:57 »
that's what i was thinking. i'd rather wear glasses or contacts than have a headache every day!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/06/2007 17:59:47 »
although i'm lucky. i can see about a foot in front of my face..

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/06/2007 20:19:15 »
I used to be able to see that far; I think (at 41) I'm a fair bit older than you.
Actually, I don't mind wearing glasses and once you are wearing them it hardly matters if they are correcting for a bit of short sight or a lot.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/06/2007 20:42:38 »
i agree. the only problem is if you can't see where you put your glasses before bed...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 10/06/2007 20:42:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums