The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Data store  (Read 2800 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Data store
« on: 13/06/2007 08:21:25 »
If buy a fertile hens egg that contains all the data to create a chicken how many Megabytes of infomation do I get?

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Data store
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2007 08:42:45 »
The chicken base pair has 1 billion base pairs in it. there are 4 bases so each pair can be one of 4 things so contains 4 bits of information. So in total 4 billion bits of information or 0.5GB

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Data store
« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2007 09:56:46 »
I am amazed that my USB flash memory can contain enough information to create a chicken.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Data store
« Reply #3 on: 13/06/2007 21:03:04 »
Given a CD with the data and 92 bottles of assorted chemicals and lots of money would it be possible to produce a hen?.
If that is rather over ambitious how about a simple virus.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Data store
« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2007 00:44:12 »
I think there is also a lot of tacit information in the mechanics of a cell - Most of the information to build a chicken is in the DNA but only if you already have a cell to put it in - a cell that has been primed in the right way to make it an embryo not a fat cell for example. DNA has the instructions and some of the machinery to build a chicken, but you still need all of the components in roughly the right ratios to actually build it.

I don't think there is the technology to build a cell from scratch today, but theoretically you probably could, but this would take a lot more information...

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Data store
« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2007 10:14:34 »
I agree you can think of the DNA as the plans but the rest of the egg consists of the tools and the material to execute the plans and this contains a lot more information.  My understanding of the information content of a cell is that 90% of the DNA information is the information on how to build a single cell.

I understand that there is the technology avaiable now to build a virus from basic DNA elements and some people have considered building engineered virses to perform useful tasks in controlled cell cultures but that thre is a lot of heart searching about the risks of doing something like this.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Data store
« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2007 10:14:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums