The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Special Realativity my as . . ., uh, my foot!  (Read 7671 times)

Offline DammitDewd

• View Profile
Special Realativity my as . . ., uh, my foot!
« on: 13/06/2007 17:44:06 »
Ever drink Scotch Whiskey? Yuk! Surely it's not fit for human consumption. How it's possible to distill the foul-tasting brew from only three basic ingredients [barley, yeast and water] is beyond scientific explanation.

Well, ever study Relativity? Perhaps it, too, is beyond scientific explanation, and unfit for human consumption?

Imagine such a thing.

A subatomic particle departs the surface of the sun, setting-out on its eight minute (plus) trip to earth. Special earthbound detectors see the photon coming, determines its velocity, and launches a space probe toward the oncoming photon, monitoring its velocity continuously.

Heavens to Murgatroid! The shiny little subatomic particle sees the oncoming probe, and slows itself down inversely proportional to the velocity of the probe?

The probe, then, accelerates to the speed of light, whereupon the probe's onboard computers reveal that the photon stops dead in its tracks, sticks its tongue out and says, tauntingly, "you ain't seen nuthin' yet." 

By microwave radio, the probe informs Mission Control that the photon has stopped moving, to which, Mission Control immediately informs the probe that the photon has not stopped moving, and in fact, its velocity has not changed one iota.

Assuming its onboard sensors are malfunctioning, and anticipating collision with the photon, the probe begins slowing down, whereupon the photon starts moving again, and at a rate that is a perfect inverse proportionality to the decelerating probe.

Once back on earth, the probe's sensors are found to be working perfectly.

Holy feces! Said another way, what the hell is going on here? Please do not say that god wants it that way.
« Last Edit: 13/06/2007 20:07:11 by DammitDewd »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2007 18:47:12 »
"Ever drink Scotch Whiskey?"
No, but I have drunk plenty of Scotch Whisky. Raw distilled spirit is pretty rough. Decent whisky is left to mature for a while and loses a lot of the rough edges.
The rest of your post doesn't make a lot of sense (I'm not saying relativity does but...)
"A subatomic particle departs the surface of the sun, setting-out on its eight minute (plus) trip to earth."
Not 8 minutes from the photon's point of view.
"Special earthbound detectors see the photon coming, determine its velocity, and launch a space probe toward the oncoming photon, monitoring its velocity continuously"
How do they "see it coming", faster than light information transfer?, gossip?
And so on.

Offline DammitDewd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2007 19:07:41 »

Hmmm.

Offline DammitDewd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2007 15:10:19 »
"Ever drink Scotch Whiskey?"
No, but I have drunk plenty of Scotch Whisky. Raw distilled spirit is pretty rough. Decent whisky is left to mature for a while and loses a lot of the rough edges.
The rest of your post doesn't make a lot of sense (I'm not saying relativity does but...)
"A subatomic particle departs the surface of the sun, setting-out on its eight minute (plus) trip to earth."
Not 8 minutes from the photon's point of view.
"Special earthbound detectors see the photon coming, determine its velocity, and launch a space probe toward the oncoming photon, monitoring its velocity continuously"
How do they "see it coming", faster than light information transfer?, gossip?
And so on.

Yo! O' High and Mighty Bored One, the fact that you don't know how to spell "Whiskey" doesn't diminish you. It's okay. I tolerate ignorance.

And, be informed, the speed of light in a vacuum is exactly 299792458 meters per second, which means that the photon's travel time from sun to earth is exactly 499 seconds, or 8.3166666666666666666667 minutes. The fact that the 499 seconds pass more quickly for the photon is irrelevant. Understand? Seconds are merely shorter for photons moving at the speed of light.

Then, your last question, >>> "How do they "see it coming", faster than light information transfer?, gossip? And so on." <<<

Bored One, why do you ask? I plainly said by "SPECIAL EARTHBOUND DETECTORS."

Btw, why am I not surprised that my posting made no sense to you. Perhaps you already know too much?

;D

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2007 19:13:25 »
Actually, I do know how to spell whiskey, and I drink it too. For what it's worth I probably drink more whiskey than whisky.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2007 20:11:35 »
i get the feeling that a very silly fight is about to start about spelling....

paul.fr

« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2007 20:49:37 »
Whiskey is distilled in Ireland, where as whisky (no e) referres to those distilled in Scotland, wales, etc. which i suspect bored knew when he said " For what it's worth I probably drink more whiskey than whisky."

Offline DammitDewd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/06/2007 21:34:26 »
Actually, I do know how to spell whiskey, and I drink it too. For what it's worth I probably drink more whiskey than whisky.

Well, I owe you the apology, which I now graciously extend. I was bein' a butth ole 'cause I thought you were. Incidentally, as I'm sure you know, either spelling is proper lol.

Offline DammitDewd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/06/2007 21:35:42 »

ROFL.

Offline DammitDewd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14/06/2007 21:41:43 »
Whiskey is distilled in Ireland, where as whisky (no e) referres to those distilled in Scotland, wales, etc. which i suspect bored knew when he said " For what it's worth I probably drink more whiskey than whisky."

Hi Paul. You're right, of course, but there's some mighty fine whiskey made right here in the good 'ole USA. A few years ago I made the mistake of buying a Texas fifth of Jack Daniels Old Number 7. Now I enjoy a sleepy-time highball every night lol.

paul.fr

« Reply #10 on: 14/06/2007 22:42:36 »

Hi Paul. You're right, of course, but there's some mighty fine whiskey made right here in the good 'ole USA. A few years ago I made the mistake of buying a Texas fifth of Jack Daniels Old Number 7. Now I enjoy a sleepy-time highball every night lol.

Hi dewd. personally i have never liked whiskey or whisky, the spelling and origin of the stuff does not make it taste any better.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14/06/2007 22:46:15 »
i can't drink it straight... they made me on my twenty first birthday and i spit it back out. lol

Offline DammitDewd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15/06/2007 00:25:34 »

Hi dewd. personally i have never liked whiskey or whisky, the spelling and origin of the stuff does not make it taste any better.

Paul, try a jigger of Jack Daniels Old Number 7 in a 12oz glass of Pepsi. You won't believe how good tasting it is.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18/06/2007 20:20:06 »

That's drunks for you!  :D

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19/06/2007 20:00:16 »
In the unlikely event that anyone is still sober and/ or interested, it's whisky (without the e) in Scotland and whiskey (with the e) everywhere else. Or at least that's what I have been told but God knows about the Welsh.
Since the first mention was "Scotch Whiskey" I thoought I should point out the contradiction.
I gather that the Japanese make a lot of the stuff. Does anyone know how they spell it?
BTW, for my money mixing cola with bourbon spoils both and, more importantly, spelling Wales without a capital letter is a risky business.

paul.fr

« Reply #15 on: 19/06/2007 20:43:23 »
In the unlikely event that anyone is still sober and/ or interested,

sober, but lost interest. But, i do believ that Japanese and Chinese whiskey does have an "e"

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19/06/2007 23:22:11 »
The leading whiskey in Japan is Suntory which, as you can see, has no E in it  :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 19/06/2007 23:22:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length