The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Kitchen Foil....which way and why ?  (Read 12088 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Kitchen Foil....which way and why ?
« on: 18/04/2004 04:41:42 »
While I've been away I've been pondering about foil.:D(like you do) Y'know the stuff you wrap your sarnies in, or perhaps some cheese.....err...anyway....should one have the shiny side inside or outside ?....this is a very important topic which I imagine should generate quite a heated debate (Sarcy Mode)[:o)]....but seriously, which side of foil should be inside ...and why ?...An educated guestimate leads me to submit that I think the shiny side should be on the inside.....but i don't know why..  (I just went and had a glance at my roll of foil and it said on the box that either side can be used...then WHY is there a shiny side and a dull side ? ta very much)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
Re: Kitchen Foil....which way and why ?
« Reply #1 on: 18/04/2004 08:07:23 »
I believe the shiny side should be in and the outer side out, because foil is typically used to keep hot in or cold in, so you want the more reflective side in and the more absorbant side out.  I've found it doesn't make a huge difference though

Lift your skinny fists, like antennas to hevan!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/04/2004 12:29:13 »
Thanks Matey...I suspected so, but it does say on my box as mentioned above, that you can use either side, and I agree....doesn't really matter does it ?...besides I tend to use clingfilm anyway !!..and sometimes foil too so it's doubly insulated......actually, that reminds me, a few years ago I remember there being a food scare (one of a thousand)..about the properties of clingfilm in contact with food.....I can't remember the exact science about it except that it was a bad thing.....can anyone remember what that was all about ?

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2004 15:39:02 »
Like they say, you can use either side. There is little difference between the absorptivity and the emissivity of aluminum at thermal IR, so the thermal performance is similar. There is also little difference between the surface finishes, even though one side is clearly mirror and the other is not, if you aren't using it as a mirror there is no significant difference.

The cling-wrap scare is about having low temperature plastic wrap in contact with the food while microwaving. Don't do that. The plastic can melt and transfer some chemicals to the food.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/04/2004 15:52:30 »
Thanks gsmollin....nice one !...I consider myself nice and relaxed in the trauma that was my foil quandry !!:). As far as the clingfilm/wrap is concerned..I remember now..thanks...fortunately I don't use it in the microwave...but.. I suppose the same can be said that one must wait for food to cool down before wrapping it in plastic eh ?

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/04/2004 22:19:08 »
I wouldn't microwave your food with the aluminum foil still on either :)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/04/2004 22:29:22 »
I'm not sure I like aluminum foil at all because it is (albeit loosely) implicated in Alzheimer's disease and a few other serious maladies.  I do use it though, and I usually don't make a distinction between the shiny side and dull side.  It would be interesting to see if there is any difference between the two in terms of thermal characteristics.  Like, does a potatoe bake better with the shiny side in or out?

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/04/2004 22:41:24 »
Good one John...yep I'm up for that....lets all get together ALA Blazing Saddles style and bake some spuds....and thanks for the tip Justin....about the microwave and foil.....does make a pleasing light display though ;-)

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18/04/2004 08:07:23 »
I believe the shiny side should be in and the outer side out, because foil is typically used to keep hot in or cold in, so you want the more reflective side in and the more absorbant side out.  I've found it doesn't make a huge difference though

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18/04/2004 12:29:13 »
Thanks Matey...I suspected so, but it does say on my box as mentioned above, that you can use either side, and I agree....doesn't really matter does it ?...besides I tend to use clingfilm anyway !!..and sometimes foil too so it's doubly insulated......actually, that reminds me, a few years ago I remember there being a food scare (one of a thousand)..about the properties of clingfilm in contact with food.....I can't remember the exact science about it except that it was a bad thing.....can anyone remember what that was all about ?

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18/04/2004 15:39:02 »
Like they say, you can use either side. There is little difference between the absorptivity and the emissivity of aluminum at thermal IR, so the thermal performance is similar. There is also little difference between the surface finishes, even though one side is clearly mirror and the other is not, if you aren't using it as a mirror there is no significant difference.

The cling-wrap scare is about having low temperature plastic wrap in contact with the food while microwaving. Don't do that. The plastic can melt and transfer some chemicals to the food.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18/04/2004 15:52:30 »
Thanks gsmollin....nice one !...I consider myself nice and relaxed in the trauma that was my foil quandry !!:). As far as the clingfilm/wrap is concerned..I remember now..thanks...fortunately I don't use it in the microwave...but.. I suppose the same can be said that one must wait for food to cool down before wrapping it in plastic eh ?

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18/04/2004 22:19:08 »
I wouldn't microwave your food with the aluminum foil still on either :)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18/04/2004 22:29:22 »
I'm not sure I like aluminum foil at all because it is (albeit loosely) implicated in Alzheimer's disease and a few other serious maladies.  I do use it though, and I usually don't make a distinction between the shiny side and dull side.  It would be interesting to see if there is any difference between the two in terms of thermal characteristics.  Like, does a potatoe bake better with the shiny side in or out?

----

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18/04/2004 22:41:24 »
Good one John...yep I'm up for that....lets all get together ALA Blazing Saddles style and bake some spuds....and thanks for the tip Justin....about the microwave and foil.....does make a pleasing light display though ;-)

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19/04/2004 04:30:59 »
CDs are the way to go for a pleasing light display...cuz when the light display is over you still have something cool o look at.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #16 on: 19/04/2004 06:29:40 »
Aluminium has been linked to Alzheimer's Disease, indeed you can detect it in the hallmark plaques that it produces in the brain, but it is not known whether the aluminium causes the plaques, or whether the plaques merely soak up aluminium after they form.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19/04/2004 12:25:45 »
Thanks Chris......I remember as a layman hearing the news items not just about foil but certainly about cookware too......I think on the basis of hearing that I changed my pressure cooker to a stainless steel one.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20/04/2004 01:50:37 »
Hmmm, I thought that Maalox was a big source of aluminum.  I guess we should all go to iron pots anyway to get some iron in our diets and be less anemic.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20/04/2004 02:14:05 »
If you eat from aluminum do you have to take Maalox?????

I figure that stainless is better than aluminum in many ways.  Once I left some stuff in an aluminum pan too long (waaaay too long) and it ate through the bottom.  That has never happened with stainless.  I love cooking with cast iron, but I can't seem to get away from electric stoves, and they don't do as well with iron as gas does.  Especially the glass top POS that I have now.

And I love watching CDs in the microwave.  It gives a whole new meaning to "burning a CD".

----

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20/04/2004 03:21:39 »
Cooking on an iron griddle is fantastic !!........but what strength of curry were you cooking John to eat through the aluminum pan ? Do you find with cast iron cookware , that the food sticks a lot unless you're attending to it all the time ?.............and , which group or artist cd would you recommend to use in a microwave oven ?

Nance....or John....what is Maalox ?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #21 on: 20/04/2004 05:18:07 »
John - what happens to a CD in the microwave then ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20/04/2004 14:58:16 »
A CD would cause arcing and sparking in the oven, because of its thin aluminum layer, just like if you forget to remove the aluminum foil from the food. This is no way to treat a magnetron though, I can't recommend it!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20/04/2004 19:25:55 »
....will it damage the Microwave Oven ?....cos I'm dying to try it out !!!..I've got me shades on, I've invited friends and family over, got the popcorn...all i need is the go ahead to have some fun!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20/04/2004 19:27:06 »
''''ahh.....I kinda just saw your answer gsmollin....I suppose that means no fun for me eh ?...Ho Hum !!!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 20/04/2004 19:27:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums