The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is Whipple's disease?  (Read 53858 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What is Whipple's disease?
« Reply #75 on: 24/11/2009 12:22:44 »
Hey Iko.. I have been reading and reading this entire thread again, and throughout the thread there is reference to: polymerase chain reaction. I was wondering if you could take few minutes and explain this procedure to me, and exactly what it is and how they run the test or how it works...?

Also in the last post I see the 1rst reference to: reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction for the DNA of Tropheryma whippelii...

If it had been used in previous posts I missed it. I am curious about both..?

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 01/12/2009 10:35:52 »
Hi Karen,

Polymerase chain reaction allows you to find DNA or RNA from viruses or bacteria that hide somewhere in our body.
It is highly sensitive (few 'copies' of DNA/mL spotted easily) and very specific: special 'primers' used to start the reaction stick only to a particular sequence of DNAbases...

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/olc/dl/120078/micro15.swf

The big thing is that -to confirm an infectious disease- we don't rely anymore only on antibody production by the host, antibodies that might be absent or a memory of a previous infection: we look for bits and pieces of the very germs that came on board.  Even searching for bugs in biopsies by microscope is difficult and messy(aggressive) enough...particularly in the case of intracellular germs like T.whipplei.

BTW, you may consider reverse-transcriptase part of the PCR test itself...same thing to spot and amplify little bits of nucleic acids, million copies that become 'visible' in the end, allowing a diagnosis of infection.
« Last Edit: 03/12/2009 09:18:10 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 02/12/2009 07:44:50 »
Thank you IKO and thanks for the link.. I read your post and will now take a look at that link...
Thanks again..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 02/12/2009 07:51:23 »
nice illustration IKO! Thanks for the link...

Offline tanya222

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 12/12/2011 20:56:35 »
Where can I get a PCR test for WD?

I am in Ontario Canada. 

Also does it work on regular blood test, or does it have to come from the intestine?

Great thread IKO, I don't know how you keep finding these case reports, I can't find them anywhere but here!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #79 on: 12/12/2011 20:56:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums