The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What happens to gravity at the earth's centre ?  (Read 4176 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What happens to gravity at the earth's centre ?
« on: 20/04/2004 20:38:58 »
Hypothetically...if one could transport to the exact center/re of our Earth...what would happen please ?.. How would gravity effect me ?would I float about or be torn to pieces ?.....I realise there are other factors like gas, hot molten stuff, no air etc ..and that is why I have asked it in hypothetical sense...please let me know so that I can start preparing my picnic !!

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 20/04/2004 20:46:54 by neilep »

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to gravity at the earth's centre ?
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2004 23:07:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep@dsl.pipex.com

Hypothetically...if one could transport to the exact center/re of our Earth...what would happen please ?.. How would gravity effect me ?would I float about or be torn to pieces ?.....I realise there are other factors like gas, hot molten stuff, no air etc ..and that is why I have asked it in hypothetical sense...please let me know so that I can start preparing my picnic !!

the main influence, apart from temperatures (thought to be around 5500 degrees centigrade are the huge pressures that exist... so i guess neil, the main question will be whether you would be crushed into nothing or burn to nothing... i'd put the picnic on hold my friend!

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2004 23:18:55 »
Thanks Matey Rich !!...but assuming I was not affected by the temperature and pressures any other external/internal infuence....what would the gravity of the situation be like ? (Sarnies are on hold) ....can you tell that I love the smileys yet ?

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2004 03:17:46 »
Oooo!  I know! I know!

The gravitational force at the exact center of a sphere of matter is (drum roll please....) zero.

This is because all the matter is distributed equally around you and thus pulls in all directions equally.  I suppose if you were in a neutron star or something, the fact that you are fairly large could cause the forces at your top and bottom to be in opposite directions and large enough to pull you apart (ouch!).

To take this a little further, as you move out from the center to the surface, the attraction increases as a straight line function with your distance from the center.  Then, as you move away from the surface, the attraction drops off with the inverse square of the distance from the center.

Physics is cool!

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/06/2004 22:09:34 »
Wait, could this also apply to (if there is one) the exact center of the galaxy?

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/06/2004 04:53:21 »
Yes it would.  If you could ignore the fact that you are now inside a large black hole!

Actually, in our galaxy, the gravitational acceleration due to the galaxy is very small.  Though it can't be ignored because that is what keeps the galaxy together.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 09/06/2004 04:53:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums